Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 mercury rear brake question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merking56, Mar 31, 2013.

1. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

On the driverside rear axle tube there is a brass block that the rear hard lines and one rubber line go in. The bolt that holds this block down also has a knob or primer type top to it. The bolt is hollow almost like it is using air or vacuum from the axle tube. My question is can I move this block and lines and fill the hole with weld?

2. I'm sure you could but that's its breathing point

3. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

The axles breathing point?

4. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

I can move it and put the breather bolt back in the hole.

5. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Yes you can. But it will either vent through this bolt or blow the seals out.

6. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

Well I don't want that to happen, so Il move the block and secure it with a new bolt. I will put the breather bolt right back in the hole with some kind of spacer so it sits where it use to.

Thanks guys

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The factory did nothing just for kicks. A vent is needed. It can be moved but why not just leave it alone?

8. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

I understand everything is done for a reason. The block and one hardline are right in the way of where my lower bag mount needs to sit on the axle tube. I need an alternative mount position for this block without screwing any function up.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That would be perfect. While you have it off you could hit it with a wire brush and blow through with compressed air, sometimes they get plugged up after many years.

If you have to relocate it the position is not critical as long as it is on top of the axle tube.

10. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

11. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

I'm going to relocate the block somewhere on the frame rail nearby.

12. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean the block that it the T, which joins the rubber hose from the frame rail, to the two hard lines, one for each drum assembly? That one needs to be on the axle, somewhere.

14. Can't put it on the frame rail, "needs to be on top of the axle".

15. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

I may have misunderstood the reason for this block. I thought it was just a junction block for the brake lines and they used the bolt that holds it in place as a breather for the axle.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is indeed exactly what it is. You had said earlier that you planned to relocate it to the frame. It must remain, somewhere, on the axle. The vent needs to present, somewhere on the housing. Anywhere not in direct oil spray is fine. The junction block/rubber hose end needs to be on the axle too. Anywhere the hose reaches, throughout the full suspension travel. The vent and the distribution block need not be together, that is just clever, not necessary.

17. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

Right can't be frame mounted because of suspension travel. I'm going to have to plug the existing hole and tap a new one. Unless I modify the lower bag mount

18. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

I suppose I can move the junction block a few inches towards the rear so the bag mount sits right and the breather can stay as the bag mount provides enough room for it underneath.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can weld a bolt to the axle tube, by the head (after removing the plating) to retain the junction block. Tighten a nut and a lockwasher down on it, and you're good-to-go.