Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old DETROIT AUTORAMA picture thread, what do you have ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Maybe we can get together for a cup of coffee this year,.... Last year I was suffering some serious sleep deprivation.... (Blew up the trans on the daily driver and was a hundred and fifty miles from home,... Had to figure out how to get it home) And doing the over night shifts at Autorama wore me out.....

My eyes were so bloodshot I was afraid I would bleed to death if I didn't close my eyes and get some sleep.:cool:

2. Dennis, I found a copy of a picture that I will scan tomorrow on the wife's computer. It is a poor computer print, but it shows The Frank Mack roadster, the Golden Brick roadster and Tommy Foster's roadster, all at the A and W drive-in in Lincoln Park back in the day. Tommy Foster sent it to me when he moved to Florida and wound up within a block from me in Seminole, FL. I hope he is doing well since I moved to Georgia.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Apology for the rainbow effect as these are scanned from a print from an early printer.
    These were taken from a copy of a print from an early printer. These are photos of Tommy Fosters Roadster which was in the first autorama, I was there too!. It also shows the roadster with the original flathead, the roadster at Pebble Beach, and a photo shoot with the Frank Mack roadster and the Gold Brick.
    Tommy Foster I hope is well and quite a guy. A true hotrodder and one of the first members of the NHRA. He was restoring a 39 Pontiac in his eighties when I left Florida.
    Very talented, look at the sketches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Harms Way

Harms Way

That's cool Bob,.... I have a few more pictures of the same photo shoot,.... I was actually there,... It was a really chilly morning like in the 50's,.... I was amazed when those girls peeled off there coats and were wearing bathing suites.... The pictures were taken for the ISCA Show World book..

"Gold Brick" wasn't running that,.. which wasn't all that uncommon,... As as it was getting pushed into its place,... one of the guys said,.... "So this is why they call it Gold BRICK !"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. That is so amazing that Tommy would give me those pictures and you were there.
    Your pictures sure have more appeal than mine, might be the bathing suits.
    Both those cars were at the first Autorama.

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yes,,,,,Yes they were,..... and here is how it shook out.

Frank Mack- First place overall & Best Engineered
    In Peterson Museum, 1926 T Roadster

Volpe Bro.'s- Second place overall (48' Merc full Custom )
    Destroyed in garage fire

Frank Taubitz- Third place overall (36' Ford full custom)
    In a garage very close to me.

Tommy Foster
    - Outstanding Hot Rod,..... (32' Ford Roadster)
    In Wisconsin, originally restored by
    Pat Sleven

[​IMG]

In this picture you can see Frank Macks Roadster up front,... In the third row back you can see the back of the Volpe's Brother Merc next ti the MG-TD........

[​IMG]

In the back corner you can see Frank Taubitz 36' Custom coupe and Dick Reeam's Merc..... Romandago.

[​IMG]

Frank Taubitz 36' Coupe

[​IMG]

In this picture you can see Romandago, and some of the custom work on the Frank Taubitz Coupe.

[​IMG]

The rear car on the right line is the Volpe Brothers car.

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

1975 Detroit Autorama,... A 40 Coupe with a Hatton flame job,.....

[​IMG]

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Lets keep this rolling. I was talking to my Dad at christmas and he said he had an envelope with some car pictures in it. He pulled it out and there were 3 8x10 glossy's not sure what year, guessing 58, and 4 small photos from the 64 Autorama. He didn't take the pictures. I have another lead on some other photos, hopefully that will come through.
    I'll start with Marty Ribets Gold Nugget.

Attached Files:

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and SuperFleye like this.
  9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Here's the Tarkanyi 32 3-window a 40 Merc.

Attached Files:

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and ratrodzrcool like this.
  10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

On to the 1964 Autorama includes a dragster, a 35 chevy 3-window, the Car Craft Dream car and Roth's Mysterion.

Attached Files:

11. I was in that show. This was the show that Bill Hines debuted the "lil Bat". It was right behind this Merc owned by Jerry Yatch and built by Bill Hines. The Merc was in the first Autorama.

kidcampbell71 and SuperFleye like this.
  12. Harms Way

Harms Way

A little OT,... but not really,... Former member of the MHRA Drag-Ons Bob Leppan and the "Worlds Fastest Motorcycle" At the 1965 Detroit Autorama.

Attached Files:

• BL5.jpg
      BL5.jpg
      File size:
      79.2 KB
      Views:
    • BL6.jpg
      BL6.jpg
      File size:
      67 KB
      Views:
    • BL7.jpg
      BL7.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
  13. The show I referred to here was the 1958 Show, and I think it was at the old location before Cobo Hall.

14. jesse1980

jesse1980

Cool thread, I like the honchos 63 Catalina in the picture on the first page!

15. Harms Way

Harms Way

Everybody that showed a car in 58' got one of these.....This one was given to me by Frank Mack.

[​IMG]

16. It was great that he passed it on to someone who cares ! Do you think the roadster will ever be back at the Autorama ?
    Ron

17. I must have got one, but damned if I know where it went.

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Bruce brought it back for the 50th. I am sure if CASI & MHRA asked Bruce, he would let us bring the old girl back...... I spent a lot of time with Frank and the Roadster over the decades..... Frank was so very proud and happy that Bruce ended up with the car, The car and the man were very much a part of each other,.... And Frank knew that Bruce would take care of his prize possession/ creation

Here is a used up old Harms Way At the 50'th Autorama, when Bruce brought back one of my dear old friends,...... Still puts a smile on my face,... always feel close to my old friend Frankie every time I see the old girl..... And miss Frank and his Roadster very much.

[​IMG]

19. I was lucky to have been at the 50'th and I did spend a lot of time lusting over the roadster. Funny , thinking back on it, I can't remember any other car in that show...
    Ron

20. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Toad, is that you with that beautiful car? Geez, what a waste of machinery!!!
    Love ya really Dennis!!!!

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yeah,.... well even after you finally convinced Lisa to kiss you,... You still looked like a frog...... :D love ya to,..... you,... you,... Tea sipping, Crumpet eater.;):D:D:D

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

From the old days.............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Harms Way

Harms Way

24. JohnSaid

JohnSaid
    from Phoenix AZ

This car was bought by my father Joe Said sometime following this picture being taken. As a 11 or 12 year old, I was with my father when he purchased the car from Bob Tamplin. My dad then did some minor mod's to it like a fuel tank up front and a set of zoomies. He named the car the Shocker as he was an electrical contractor. I remember that we took the car to the 69 Autorama and he won a trophy similar to the one in the picture but I think it had a wood cut out of the state of Michigan on top. It was a big one and I remember really being impressed that he won! In 1970 he moved to Phoenix taking the car with him. He ran it a lot at Tucson dragway quite a bit in the mid 70's. The car ran in many forms, blown, injected, on gas and alcohol. I would give anything to find this car if it still exists but I have no idea what happened to it after he sold it around 1975. He passed away in 87 rest his soul.

25. JohnSaid

JohnSaid
    from Phoenix AZ

here is a picture of it at Tucson Dragway early 70's

Attached Files:

26. I have others stored away somewhere, but this is the only one I can find for now. The 1968 Autorama, and the Mayfair coupe. Like it better this way, without the later '34 grill surround and the psycho paint job.

Steve

Attached Files:

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

Good old "Happy Feet",... I had a chat with Joe Liberty a number of months ago,... He said that he was told, this old warrior was torn apart, and rebuilt into a street rod......

Anybody have any additional information ?

28. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well,... with Autorama just around the corner,... I thought a trip down memory lane was in order.....

29. old rat

old rat

Just found this thread and brings back memories. Was 16 in 64 so cars were on my mind and me and my buds always went. Looking for pictures now. Showing a car was fun because when it was time to leave and people started firing up their machines it could get noisy and back then most drove them there and the streets were full of cars.

30. That's El Capitola by Barris. It appears to have been driven by the looks of the front inner wheelwell.

Attached Files:

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and ratrodzrcool like this.