Register now to get rid of these ads!

Milk truck wheels = crazy money

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392_hemi, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Bill Niekamp's T modified roadster was one of the few roadsters that ran them on the front. Some Streamliners used the High Clearance wheels.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hole-ly wheel, obviously done to cure death wobbles
    [​IMG]

2. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Wow, I've never seen any of those shots before! Thanks for enlightening me, JohnnyA

3. Rajo 1

Rajo 1

wire wheels look great and they did run them at bonneville and the dry lakes but when you put a heavy side load on them like in a spin they break and people died.the kelsey hayes solids were strong ,they were cheap back then, you could buy them brand new from ford dealers.

4. Rajo 1

Rajo 1

johnny,your car has a great dry lakes look,they did not run cross grooved dirt track tires with square edges on the salt flats ,notice the indy car round edge tires on most bonneville cars.they were speed rated and usually bought used from an indy car racer because they had to keep there tires fresh .Bonneville guys ran there same tires for years.

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

"that kind of vintage "look" is not working for me. And it has no place in this dialog nor do aluminum repops. But that's just how I feel. I'd take a pair for the rear of something any time, just for that occasional use, the flount............

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  6. Rajo 1

Rajo 1

Boy are you misinformed these wheels are shown on many cars in Hotrod magazine ,yes mostly on race cars but you can bet if a guy thought he could get away with running his race car down to the drive in he would not be embarrassed about the wheels he was running

7. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

oh hey Paul... when I was collecting parts the repop indy firestones weren't available yet but I do plan on getting a pair from coker when I have a spare (ouch) $800. You're running the grooved Lesters, right? JohnnyA

8. Rajo 1

Rajo 1

Johnny ya i think the price has gone up ,if he even has any in stock,dont give up on the dry lakes look i like it better.

9. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Paul, your pretty knowledgeable about old tires, what kinda wheel would they run 18" Ascot block tires on? Halibrands? '32 Wires? or tall knock offs?

You should post photos of your 33-34 roadster with the Chevy high clearance 18" wheels and the crazy 16" baby divcos with the aluminum spider caps. Thats a wild set up! JohnnyA

10. Rajo 1

Rajo 1

Early would be 18" dayton wire knock off wheels,then 18" ground clearance wheels,but steel wheels used like on track roadsters usually ran 16"blockgrooved not many 18" on track roadsters then halibrands on lots of early sprintcars which led to the change to diamond grooved which were no longer called ascots. I need help to post pictures remember i am a fng.

11. Dar73

Dar73

Johnny A... I need to get some myself! Try Bowtie reproductions.

12. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I recently hauled home a 1946 Chevrolet with 5 of these 18" 6 lug high clearance wheels that are in great shape.

Attached Files: