Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 60s Blue vs today's match

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BreadVan, Mar 30, 2013.

1. BreadVan

BreadVan

Hi,

I've got a 1948 Austin Dorset which I am turning into a gasser.
    I love the old 60s blue (blue-silver). I was wondering if anyone knew what they used back in the day and what today's version of this would be.

I have attached a picture of the colour back in the day and one of a modern version.

The main thing I am after is a colour match, so that I can use this for my car, or any information on it.

Thanks, Matt

Attached Files:

2. Looks a lot like the inside of my 64 chevelle. They actually call it "silver blue" and it was paint code 912 from the factory.

3. BreadVan

BreadVan

Cheers for that. I have been looking for it for months, that looks pretty much spot on. Do you think that paint would be available now?

If anyone has any further suggestions, don't hesitate to let me know.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd go talk to the guy at the local paint supply store

5. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

If you take a paint chip to your paint supply shop, they can lazer scan the chip to formulate a matching color. My '65 Biscayne, I removed the trim and took it to a body shop to have the holes welded up then color matched. It was the old factory paint. They matched it so well, my wife thought they had re-painted the car. All they did was fog and feathered the paint, then color sanded and buffed the whole car.

7. BreadVan

BreadVan

I just looked at some pictures on the internet and definately think that the 912 is the right colour.

GassersGarage - unfortunately I don't have a paint chip.

It would be great if someone did have a sample. However, I live in the UK... and there are not many chevelles about here!

Thanks guys

8. Merc'50

Merc'50

I think I've seen a modern Volvo in a color that looked alot similar to what you're looking for.
    The one in this image is Glacier blue metallic.
    [​IMG]

This is a link to a page with all the Volvo color codes. They have many different blue metallic that come very close to the one you've posted up.
    http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/general/volvo-color-codes/

Hope this helps, good luck!

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In Santa Clara, CA., (now 'Silicon Valley') in the late '50s thru early '60s a large contingent of '53 & '54 Chevy guys painted their cars this very color. ('Silver-Blue', or 'Ice-Blue') I'm not talking 4 or 5 cars, I'm talking about a baker's dozen, conservatively.

It was funny inthat most of these guys were of Portuguese descent, ask any one of them the color then, and they'd resound with "Portagee Blue!"

True story.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Tell your paint supplier you want 1964 Chevrolet Silver Blue Code # 912 and they should be able to get the formula. I have done this on old cars. If they don't have the formula, they can get it in a day or 2. Once they have the formula they can mix up all you want.

11. it is worth the effort/money to buy the smallest amount they will mix and do a spray out onto something that can be moved into different lighting. if you don't like it use it for underside or first coat. i do this for customers even if they know the color...better to double check than double paint.