Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 sedan door glass problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 29, 2013.

1. I spent half the day fighting with the passenger side door glass on my sedan,,

I recently got a original replacement regulator from Dick Sparado so I know it's correct,,I got the window track from Merlin and it's the extra one he didn't use in his sedan so I know it's correct.

The problem? it wont roll all the way down,,It's like it has some sort of stop that prevents it from rolling down the extra 4 inches,,what the heck am I doing wrong? HRP

2. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Get a hold of a car parts mirror or an old compact from your wife and scope out the back side of regulator. May have a rivet hanging up. Also make sure you have good lighting.

3. Check the channels to see the lower glass channel is not dragging on the side channels it gets lower. Also be sure front and rear channels are at the same angles. Mine are not and cause some binding.

4. Not much help, but I noticed this weekend Dad's does the same thing. If you roll it back up a little and open/close the door it goes down fine. He hasn't taken it apart to investigate yet.

5. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

The glass channel that is pressed onto the glass could be backwards?? The ones on my fordor were installed backwards by the previous owner and would barely work. I flipped them and now they work great.

6. Definitely not backwards. HRP

7. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Daft question - are any of the bolts that hold the mechanism to the door too long and hitting the arms?

8. No,I thought of that but they are all the original bolts. HRP

9. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Are the tracks against the braces all the way down?

10. Harry,I think all is well in this area but,,I will take check out all the suggestions offered in when I venture back out in the shop this morning. HRP

11. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Sure the regulator rolls all the way up and down? Check it on the bench. Are the window channels straight, front and back? Are the window mouldings pinching the channels at the bottom of the window opening? After you check the regulator, stick the glass in the door and see if it slides up/down by itself. Good luck Danny.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I don't want to insult you. We can't see inside the door. Is the regulator going all the way through it's travel? Or is the glass or arm hitting something inside the door preventing the regulator from going all the way through it's travel? That should give you something to look for. I have ordered parts from experts that got mixed up and was sent the wrong part. It happens. Spent a lot of time chasing my tail.

If the glass or arm is hitting something it should be pretty easy to see what and then you can figure out why. I'm sure when you find the culprit you will say DUH.:D

13. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Is it like its hitting a metal stop or binding?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  14. Lynn783

Lynn783

I just did battle with my driver's door rebuild and had similar issues. Some of the previous thoughts about the vertical tracks being parallel ended up being part of my issue. That can cause a bind similar to what you describe. The real culprit on my car was the reproduction felt front track being too thick and when placed in the metal channel in the door it pinched the felt tight against the glass causing severe bind. I spread the metal piece that holds the felt channel and got enough relief to make the mechanism work but it's still stiff. Good luck!!

15. you had a balled up channel before you started something caused that. I'm sure that you have the bottom tab in the key slot and pulled up for the top hook.
    the bottom channel on the glass has a screw stop plus the one on the regulator. take one out at a time and try it. if the channel on the glass is positioned wrong it can eat channel or stop in the wrong position
    also before I install new channels I use the handle of my pliars to open the channel evenly from top to bottom.

16. John Stimac

John Stimac

Replaced one in my Victoria a few years ago, it was a repo that went bad. It wouldnt roll down also, I dropped the window attached to the regulator down as far as I could, cut the arm off the regulator with a die grinder and slipped it off and then the other side. After further inspection, I noticed that the tin cover that holds the components that the handle attaches to was pulled away from the body of the regulator. It was rivited on with only two rivits fully engaging and one half engaged. I noticed that the new repo also only had 2 and on half rivits holdind, so I spot welded it, so it wouldnt pull apart next time. You must spend lots of time lubricating the new regulator, I use spray and tube lubriplate lithium grease in mine

17. I know I have had that regulator in and out at least 20 times,,I have already used my allotment of 4 letter words up for the entire year.

Again,this is a extremely nice correct original window regulator that I purchased from Dick Spadaro.it is not reproduction

The window channel that the glass rides in is original 1932 tudor sedan,,so it's correct.

The window channel both front & rear is correct and is hooked in place.

The regulator works fine when not bolted in place.

When mounted with or without the glass or channel it wont roll all the way down,,,tomorrow when I have some help I will tackle it again.

I am still wearing this damn boot so my lack of mobility ain't helping but with the aide of a extra pair of hands and eyes,,not to mention a flashlight holder maybe I can find whats binding. HRP

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a bright light and a mirror should tell you your problem

19. It might,,but it takes more than two hands,,the 32 sedans are pretty thin so there is very little room to work.:rolleyes: HRP

20. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

That's best advice right there. That's how I found out why mine would do the same thing only I stripped on set of regulator gears in the process.

21. rexrogers

rexrogers

I have had a few hang ups over the years the door inner lip hangs up on the crank. Roll it down and see if it is catching on that lip, sometimes it doesn't take much to make the whole thing hang up, I can post a picture of the area I'm talking about if that would help

22. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Just a tip...you should shine the light on the mirror. And what Rex said. Sometimes the arms have to be bent just a little to clear the bottom channel.

23. John Stimac

John Stimac

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think the repo regulator has the raised boss's on the screw mounting holes. Possibly it needs them to give moving clearance at the full lowered position. I think I stacked washers on my six mounting holes.

24. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

It is a orignal 32 Ford regulator that he bought from Dick Spadaro :D

Danny ,,,, take the felts out and see if the window will go all the way UP/DOWN.

If everything else is OK , sounds like the felts are your problem.

Randy

25. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

26. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

27. John Stimac

John Stimac

He says its an origional"replcement" regulator, that tells me its a repo, in which case it does not have the raised areas like the stock 32. Dick, are you out there? What did you sell this guy?

28. It is not reproduction,,it is a regulator made in 1932 for a tudor sedan. HRP

29. Clark

Clark

Are the screws holding the regulator in too long?
    Clark

30. Clark,I wouldn't think so,,they are the original screws.

BTW,,with family here today I haven't touched the car,,tomorrows another day. HRP