Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration There once was a time when it was cool and meant something

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Burton, Mar 27, 2013.

1. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

Bottom line seems to me is the way of today quality is lost. Afordability in a low paying world what to do?

2. Art deco stuff rules!:cool:

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On the military truck...I believe WWII Jeeps (LOTS of easy repro parts availability) used the same government switch. From memory, the rotating bit is made so it can be popped out and replaced with a mil spec lock cylinder and key...I think the pin visible in the pic may be the release, and if so it might help getting it apart for therapy.

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice. This shutoff is one of the few things I stripped from my old car before selling it. It's still packed away for... "someday".

[​IMG]

5. rodl

rodl

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Aircraft one with safety wire holes...WWII leftovers like that were on every dragster on the planet at least into the '60's.

7. 54rat210

54rat210

An anti-Semitic valve?? Was that Hitler's personal valve?? Lmfao

:eek::eek:

8. 61 chevy

61 chevy

I passed up a old steel tractor seat, now I wish I had bought it, what for I don't know, just liked it :(

9. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Here is another from WWII. When I saw it, I had to have it. Quality craftsmanship from a bygone era.

Attached Files:

10. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

And that's the very reason I collect antique hit/miss farm and industrial engines. Every piece was hand machined, most likely in a shop with a dirt floor by someone with a 6th grade education, but boy did they do a good job. Solid cast iron, cast and machined brass fittings...you can still see the machine marks in most of the parts.

It's nice to get an old engine like this running, watching it chug along in your driveway, knowing that it's over 100 yrs old...

Attached Files:

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats it, right there. Old Ducatis, Millers, lots of old machine tools, that Hall-Scott thread...All gone, they just dont do that anymore. Its pure, an expression of what man as a species is capable of. When you make something, and roll it over in your hands, and think to yourself "yea".

12. gas pumper

gas pumper

I had an old old stove with the swatsticker cast in every valve. Before WW2 it was a common mark. The stove was US made.

13. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Imperial made fuel shutoff valves for many small single engine 40's aircraft, as a matter of fact that is the same valve I have in my 39' A model Luscombe. Curious about where you got it, is that surplus joint within walking distance of KVNY, if so we used to fly in there about once a month just to see what kinda new cool crap they had. You used to walk in there in the 70's and all you could hear was the stereo playing Zidico, good memories.

14. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

That's awesome information Coupster! I was wondering on the dating of this valve!

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I figured you of all people would recognize that particular one.

16. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Yeah Kevin I saw that too. That a awesome valve

17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Earl's on Convoy street in San Diego is one of my favorite spots for odd ball switches. Also hit the swap meets specializing in marine stuff for valves and switches.

18. This little vintage French beauty goes between the dash and steering column.

Attached Files:

19. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

It has personality. A nice feel...(I actually have one from my pop's garage)!

20. [​IMG]Yeah, I would have picked it up too - and the others posted on this thread! Much more than just a valve. Style, grace and beauty all in one. I like to grab such things whenever they appear...

21. I think they are amazing also. We have a threshing and steam show on the Eastern Shore every year and I try not to miss it. Some of the atachments are ingenious, I could watch them for hours.

22. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Not positive but I think that valve is from a stove

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Before WW2 that was a good luck mark the Chinese used it for 100plus years

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. Thats why everything I own is old, I love stuff thats made with pride. Makes me proud to own them.

25. rodl

rodl

26. rodl

rodl

27. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

The Swastika was also used by Native Americans as well as the people of India. Then Hitler got a hold of it and it became a symbol of hate.

28. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

You guys are so sentimental. But those are some cool old parts you posted and I frequently admire the engineering and craftsmanship that went into them.

We still make stuff that is robust, well designed, highly regarded by customers, high profit margins because they offer a lot of value, and all made right here in Pennsylvania. No stick on labels, all laser marked. Here's a few that make millions of dollars for us each year and growing rapidly:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm tuned into this one. Growing up on a farm where my grandfather went through the Depression they never threw anything away that could possiblly be used for something in the future. He had several old hub caps and wooden boxes that were filled with every kind of nut,bolt,weasher,fitting,adapter you could imagine. I used to spend hours sifting through them and when I came upon anything I didn't understand he could tell me eactly what it was off of and how he happened to come by it.
    I'm sure that most here know about this one but thought i'd mention it.When your at the swap meets take the time to go through those boxes of miscellanious parts that most vendors have (kinda grab bag style). At the very bottom of some of those you'll find the most interesting things and a lot of times the owner won't even now what it is and you can grab it for next to nothing. I've found some of the most interesting things that, like the valve above you "just gotta have it".

Frank

30. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

Are in the semiconductor market?