Register now to get rid of these ads!

Muncie 4 speed to a 261

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firengine103, Mar 27, 2013.

1. I know I just saw this the other day but can't find it through the search. I thought I read that a Muncie 4 speed will bolt right up to the 261 bell housing and that you can even use the closed torque tube. Right? Wrong? Thanks.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Right, a Muncie four speed will bolt to a stock '48-'62 truck bell or '55-'62 car bell, but wrong, it won't even come close to hooking up to the torque tube. Pat Dykes in AZ did make a kit to convert the back of a Saginaw four speed for use with the stock enclosed driveline.

3. Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Jim

4. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Why would you want to go thru the trouble to keep the old enclosed torque tube??

5. ^^^ well I really don't, just trying to see what does what. Trying to decide between the 200r4 that I have and the Muncie 4 speed that I could have.

6. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Food for thought. I talked with Tom Langdon about the choice of a turbo 400 behind a 292 inline 6 in my 1 1/2 ton 48 Chevy truck. Course this is a different animal then you as for the rearend gearing, but he goes with the 700r4 for choice. I have a rebuilt T400 in the barn but not a 700r4. But his choice has great merit because of my gearing. SOOOOO, If you are going with a rearend change, and a 700r4 OD tranny, you could pick a lower rear gear for extra get up and go, but still pick up more MPG on the highway with the OD. Just my 2 cents

7. Thanks Country Gent, I'll have a talk with Tom and see what my options are. I'm gathering everything together for my 53 Business Coupe. I want everything rebuilt and laying on the floor so I can make the swap without too much running around looking for compatible components. Your 2 cents well taken.

8. http://patricksantiquecars.com/chevy_parts.html