Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration There once was a time when it was cool and meant something

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lucky Burton, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

I'm posting this cause this is exactly the kind of stuff that gets my blood flowing. It's nothing special at all but how could I walk past this valve without buying it. It's simply awesome. It's from a time when it mattered to have design and simplicity just rolled into one. Now days design has left many many things we use in everyday life, in architecture, lighting, furniture, in everything really! Items like this give me such great inspiration and I'm itching to put it to use somewhere creative.
    I was at the aircraft surplus store the other day and happened across this valve. I was truly inspired in a split second. My first thought was I gotta have this. Now, if you have ever purchased a brass valve of any kind you'll know they are not cheap. In which led me to my second thought, Do I have enough cash on me? Turns out I was willing to bite the bullet on whatever the cost was.. I grit my teeth and went to pay.... 3 buck the man says. Awesome!!!
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I do... Thanks for listening.
    Oh yeah, it's a Jets tail in case you didn't catch it.. ImageUploadedByTJJ1364362588.553373.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Neat piece! That is exactly the reason I have trouble negotiating my shop/garage/storage facility/museum and things my wife likes to call it. I mean do I REALLY need 500 odd examples of a Chevy Nomad/Pontiac Safari?

3. Did you find that at Luky's ?

4. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I feel the exact same way you do.. It's sad to see nowadays that anyone can build an old car straight out of a JEGS or Speedway catalog. But those things will never have soul.

That thing is soul. Pure soul. I would be surprised if that thing wasn't used to plumb soul back then. That's how much soul it has.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

No Lukys it mostly nuts and bolts now days. Used to really great though.

6. Alamedasam

Alamedasam

I agree. Nowadays, most everything is made in china or some foriegn country.
    And most of it is just crap. Makes you feel good inside that somebody made this
    & had some pride in workmanship.

7. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

Funny. This valve moved me in the same way.

[​IMG]

8. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

If you find someplace to put it, let us know. I was thinking about doing something interesting like that for my Harley petcock.

9. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I love old/odd parts,i use alot of them on my chopper builds-i found 2 smaller brass valves like yours & used em for petcocks.not handist peice- but i love the looks.
    (ya wanna sell it?;))

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My garage is full of little things like that. Having been in the restoration biz all these years I've had the privilege to see tools, machines, electrical fittings and hardware, and even internal components that 99% of people will never see, all with the designer's heart and soul in the final appearance as well as function. Nice to see I'm not a weirdo after all...

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I love the details. If it looks old I like it. This is the drain for my fuel filter.

12. Would be EXTRA cool if someone could find a use for it on a Chrysler Imperial project.

13. Bluedot

Bluedot

Hard to tell relative size in the pic - what are the threads? Could be a fuel shutoff, which would double as a security measure. You'd have to assure that the seat or o-ring is gasoline compatible. If it's too big for that, and if you run a heater, it could be a good heater hose seasonal shutoff.

14. ryno

ryno

I miss the old days of rummaging threw stuff like this at Joe factor sales in Burbank. Are they still around? That was a great day spent down there. Memory lane,surplus shops and in n out,maybe a little ikea if we have enough time.

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I love finding stuff like this. Aircraft surplus store? Thats a new one for me, wish I knew of one around here.

There is this '42 Ford military truck sitting in the woods behind my house that has the coolest ignition switch. It has IGN cast into it. I've been meaning to go take it for a while now, but I keep forgeting my tools. I guess its a 3 position switch, which really makes no sense to me because it should have been just on/off. (this is info I've found online) The switch in the truck is seized, any chance of freeing it up and still be able to run it in a rod?
    [​IMG]

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'm thinking firewall mounted fuel shutoff in a Model A (cowl tank) in a traditional car with a Hemi that has Imperial valve covers.

17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Very cool valve! The Art Deco design theme is evident. I think this is a fine example of why most of us are into these old vehicles. The time spent in their design and execution of the details shows through loud and clear and "speaks" to those that appreciate design-over-function moreso over today's function/cost/profit margin-over-design mentality. I hope that valve finds a good home and use on your rod or garage. Like our rods, it needs to continue to see the light of day.

18. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Yes guys, I have plans for it on my roadster firewall fuel shut off. The handle is about 2.25" long.

19. It would have come home with me too.
    You're not alone

20. i always wanted to use these switches from Cole Hersee in a hot rod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Weasel

Weasel

I'm with ya Lucky - here's a Jaguar light switch I am using in my Willys. You can't find anything like this today....:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Very cool parts AND thread!

23. McFly

McFly

Hey Lucky,

Where is this aircraft surplus store you speak of?

Jared

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

I'm looking for these in 3". Jesse Lopez used them for exhaust system cut outs in 1949.

Attached Files:

25. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

WOW, barrel bung valves for exhaust cutouts, ain't America grand?!

26. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Well said Lucky, I agree-now its like everything is designed to just barely do the job, just barely meet a minimum standard, to wear out quickly so you have to purchase another one. and as far as visual aesthetic, that died in the pursuit of a bigger bottom line. That pursuit isn't all to blame though-a big part of it is the acceptance of a product or service that is less than that standard.

While it may just be a valve, its really so much more, besides being a work of art and craftsmanship its also a testament to a philosophy which made our country great. The idea that you do things the best you can and strive for excellence in everything. I think things would be different today if this philosophy was as prevalent as it was in the thirties forties and fifties. I think it could be said that if you want to be successful in all you do, be like that valve. :D thanks for sharing!

27. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Yes, exactly Vonpahrkur!! My wife thinks I'm crazy for jumping up and down.. Hah, she says its just a valve but like you say it's really so much more!!

28. jimvette59

jimvette59

Those are 55 gallon dump valves look on Mc master Carr. ?

29. mlagusis

mlagusis

Cool part...

I agree...we have lost the value of making something that will last and that looks good. I think the stock market has a lot to blame for that. Companies have to worry about the investors who are not there looking at the product but are removed in other parts of the country looking at reports and are finding ways to improve the profit not the product.The investors do not see the product the same way an owner does who is right the holding the product and who's name is probably on the too!

Makes you wonder: is this new way of manufacturing customer driven (more product for less money) or just greedy investors (more profit, limited lifespan, etc..)?