Register now to get rid of these ads!

how bad have you been burned on a deal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by diamond dave, Mar 25, 2010.

1. outlaw256

outlaw256

well i never have been screwed by anyone,but i have screwed myself a few times.buying a car or a bike ,not believing the seller is telling me everything ans still buying the damn thing.and find out i wasnt as smart as i thought i was...lol..i go in to a buy with both eyes wide open but if its something i really want say like another 55 chevy or a 49 ford, i seem to go kinda blind.i do what i was trained not to do.and thats to think i can fix it or build it alot cheaper than i know what it would really take.dont know why i do this but i still do it.but i got a yard full of cars i wanted.lol

2. jophus

jophus

Just thought I'd post a positive "stand-up" story. I put a 55 chevy on ebay about 2 years ago and was asking $1500. Guy called me and said he doesn't "do" ebay. I understood and we struck a deal outside of ebay for $1500. Guy mailed me a cashiers check and said he'd pick it up in two weeks. Well, 8 months passed and I never heard from the guy. No phone call, email or anything. I had since lost his number also.

I ended up selling the car on craiglist for $1500 again. New owner shows up, pays me and takes the car away. Well about 5 months later I received a certified letter from the 1st buyer. The letter says he lost my phone number and asked me to please call him. Being the person I am, I call him and tell him I waited "forever" for him to pick the car up or call me. He apologized and was disappointed that I sold the car, but understood. I sent him a $1500 check that same day. He was very grateful for my honesty. He admitted that he thought he flushed $1500 down the drain. It would've been easy for me not to accept the certified letter or to charge the guy 8 months of storage fees, but that would been just sleezy. I was raised different.

Just thought I'd share a good story.

3. castirondude

castirondude

I bought my '28 with a "rebuilt rear axle" (no engine etc) so I thought great I'll just leave that as is. After 9 months I finally had the engine, brakes, steering etc done. Drove it 15 miles to have the axle seize - no oil in it. I think it was an honest oversight but I will always double check what people call "rebuilt". So I had it towed home and it took a month or two to get around to rebuilding the axle again..

Bought another car that was "running great" when I got there it would not start, no fuel to the engine. I took his word for it that the car would run so I trailered it home. At home I found a bad ground wire and sure enough the engine fired up. But it had terrible blowby, one dead cylinder, and after warming up the oil light came on, valves started rattling,.... that's not "running great". Fortunately it was only a $500 car..

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

well well. heres one, drove 3 hours upstate NY to look at a 36 olds 3 window coupe...seller says its solid...3 grand for the car..im hot and heavy so i pack up the wife and kids and drive north...get there and the fucking car has holes everwhere..swiss cheese baby...holes in the roof panels too...lol..ive bought cars long distance and most people ive dealt with are pretty decent....you kinda get what you expect from this life...sometimes not

5. i can honestly say i've never been ripped off on a deal

a few rules i go by:

never buy a car you have never seen in person and examined thoroughly. get it up in the air and look it over. do it in the day time.

used motors and transmission are just cores for rebuilding , even if the seller makes all sorts of claims and produces receipts. plan on a total rebuild , unless you have heard it run , driven it and pulled it yourself

don't expect anyone to hold something you want to buy for you , or hold something for someone else.....cash talks and the first with the cash gets it

if you buy something get it out of the sellers place ASAP , bring a trailer and be ready to go. get everything in the deal , don't plan on coming back to get the rest of the stuff. the same applys when i sell , get the stuff out of my place immediately..i'm not a storage place

if i sell something with a title we meet at the DMV and transfer on the spot. none of this signing and hope he transfers

6. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

I agree. I like to look everything over and even if they say everything under the sun has been rebuilt and fixed, I'm still skeptical. Another thing is to not go above your purchase price. Don't drive four hours to look at a car you know is worth one thousand and end up paying two because you're there with a trailer. That'll bite ya!

7. wibble_1979

wibble_1979

This wasn't on a hot rod, it was an RV. I did all the Wrong thing's trying to make my wife happy. My Wife wanted an RV to take on an annual trip to Californina for thanks giving. I Thaded a 01 Ford Expedition that I rebuilt worth about $8,000 for this RV. couldn't look at it till after this guy got off workat like 7:30 so it was dark, took a flashlight, couldn't test drive cuz the guy had not registered it. he stored it covered so I thought thats cool WRONG!! the expedition was almost perfect just didn't need the damn thing. It was registered. smogged. had a new engine. trans was rebuilt. this RV had a roof that leaked so bad it was like it rained more inside then out it wasnt registered becouse the engine was swapped with one that was 20 years older and worn out the heater worked for about a day and the bearing in the motor went out the startor solenoid on the Generator lasted about a month. So after investing another $5,000 in this thing thinking I was done my wife drives it down to Long Beach WA for the 4th Last year and the Propane tank valve freezes up after she had just filled the damn thing. I have alway's been told a boat is a hole in the water you throw money in well this RV is on par with a boat lol.

8. toml24

toml24

About 20 years ago I was promoter and organizer for a reunion of jalopy racers in Southern California. I managed to get the event a corporate sponsor, which was held at sponsors headquarters on a Sunday. I had an agreement with the Company owner that we would split the gate receipts of the people who attended, which was about 350. The reunion was a success and when it was over the Company owner refused to honor his promiss, and over $5,500.00 went into his pocket. Lesson learned is NEVER NEVER allow a corporate sponsor to handle the money.

9. A year ago I bought a '57 Chev from a Hamb guy. "Media blasted", make that Rustoleum over rust, "comes with all these parts", no parts just throw away shit. "Extra front fenders and trunk lid", never happened then see them advertised on Craigs List. "Titled in my name", not titled to him and $700 in back fees and fines. "Patch panels done", some in the trunk, take off the door sills and lift up the carpet, RUST.

In forty years of buying/selling I've never been so fucked over on a car, guy just plain lied and covered shit up.

10. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

From what I have learned from buying cars

Seller
    : Garage Kept!
    Translation: The garage kept this car while the owner got a loan for repairs.

Seller: Great Gas Mileage!
    Translation: You'll have a hard enough time getting it started, let alone burn gas.

Seller: Low Mileage!
    Translation: Odometer broken.

Seller: New Tires!
    Translation: Bad Front end alignment destroyed the old tires.

Seller: These are Getting Hard To Find!
    Translation: Scrap metal prices keep going up.

Seller: Cruises down the Hwy at 70MPH all day long.
    Translation: Cruises behind a Tow truck at 70MPH all day long at 3.00 per mile.

Seller: Little or No rust
    Translation: Rust Hidden by Bondo/Fiberglass/Wadded up Steel wool covered in Bondo

Seller: Crate Motor/ Rebuilt Motor
    Translation: I rebuilt it with a trip to the local car wash, $5.00 in quarters and a can of High Heat Engine Paint

Seller: New Exhaust from Front to Back.
    Translation: I got Exhausted choking on the fumes starting from the front and flowing to the back.

Seller: Needs Floor Pans
    Translation: Pans, Braces, Inner Rockers, Outer Rockers, Transmission tunnel, Cowl, & door posts.

Seller: Needs some TLC.
    Translation: Buy a membership to AAA

Seller: Ran when parked.
    Translation: Parked it because it was rattling so bad, I thought it was going to explode.

11. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

I sold my car to a buddy that I had hung out with many times, invited his family over for dinner, etc. Knew him for about a year. He always loved my '53. When I got my Galaxie and decicided to sell the Chevy he wanted it so bad and I gave him my bottom dollar friend price, had many offers for more than I wanted, but I wanted him to have it, ya know? Well he sold it the next weekend, to one of those people that had made me an offer. In my mind I figured he wanted it so bad he'd keep it forever, but he just couldn't help making a profit. Needless to say, he stays away from me.

Lifetime lesson learned: There is no such thing as a "freind" price anymore. Top dollar gets it.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I made the mistake one time of checking the floors from under the car rather than lifting the carpets. car had factory undercoat and everything looked good. when I was putting in a clutch (I knew it needed a clutch when I bought it) I noticed some rust spots. then I jabbed a hole through the floor with a screwdriver.

as it turns out the floor rusted out from the inside. must have had the window down or a big leak in the glass seal. both sides under the front seat were paper thin. no holes though. bought it cheap and sold it cheap. lost a couple hundred bucks on the deal.

I showed the new guy the weak floors, he did not seem to care.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Holy shit, do you still have the Vincent? Have any pix of it? Would love to see it.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've not made too many deals on here but the ones I have went just as expected. Maybe I ask the right questions? Maybe I tell 100% of what I know? Maybe I focus too much on the bad and let good speak for itself? I dunno. I sleep good though...

15. I live by all of the above. And if it has a fishy title/registration/vin number... the deal is not happening. I just have never wanted something that badly to jump through a flaming hoop to register it.

Bob

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I had the Vincent for a few years, sold it in the early 80s. Sorry no pics. Somewhere around here I have a repair manual and some Vincent Owner's Club magazines from that period of time.

Still have a Triumph Saint I bought in 1972.

17. I suppose I have been extremely fortunate that I have never really haven't really been burnt,,a little singed a time or two but no serious burns.

I have seen some cars on the internet but if I am really interested I will go look at it to make sure it is as described.

I do have to confess I did make a rookie mistake with a cagey old coot at a swap meet more than 30 years ago.

I needed to replace my front cross member for my 40 Ford sedan and found a cross member with a old Ford Motor Company wire tag on it,,I ask him what it was for and he ask me what I was working on,,,I told him a 40 Ford sedan,,he said that's what it's for.

I paid him 50 bucks and was happy as a pig in the mud,,until I got home,,,definitely not a 40 Ford.:mad:

For me it was a learning experience I have never forgotten,,any yeah,,I still have that old cross member leaning up in the corner.:D HRP

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  18. shadams

shadams

Bought some spider caps from a guy that were supposed to be 5x4.75", but ended up being 5x5". Also supposed to be new but one had been mounted and was scratched. I had driven to San Marcos to meet halfway as he lived in Austin, so I was hot. Called him up and of course he didnt answer, left a kind of dick message and he called back a few later and said he'd give me my money back. I was shocked, thought for sure I was screwed. We met the next day and he apologized, said he was the one that was screwed as he had bought them at roundup and was told they were 5x5.5 and they didnt fit, he thought they were 4.75's. Cool dude and I actually ended up leaving feeling bad about the deal...

Almost the same deal happend with a AR rifle, supposed to be gently used, barrel was rusted to hell and after cleaning was pitted badly, called and left the guy a eat shit and die message and he called me back and met up with me, gave me my money back....

BUT THEN...I got the screwing of a lifetime on my current build (see sig)
    Basically paid 8000 for a 1000 dollar truck. Combo of me not knowing what to look for, being excited and taking his friendliness as a sign of honesty. Oh well, when its done it will be a 25000 truck thats worth about 1000. Seriously considered burning the dudes house down or at least kicking his ass, but decided to just take it as the hardest lesson learned ever. At least its been fun......:rolleyes:

19. Had almost the same situation. Bought a treadmill for my wife sight unseen and the damn thing turned out to be a close rack!!!

20. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

What I really like is when you confront the seller with the fact that what he advertised as "rust free" or "runs great" is in fact nowhere near the truth they look at you like you're nuts and then look at the vehicle and deny there is a problem. Even after you point out the flaws they'll dance around it and deny it. It's bad enough when they lie in their ads but to deny it in a face to face meeting is unbelievable.

21. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I bought this car for 30k in Ohio. I was in New Mexico, so it took all day to fly out there. I finally got there at 5:00 PM. Guess what, closing time. The A/C was supposed to be all hooked up, I was supposed to have a spare and a jack. The car was beautiful and I found out later none of the guages worked except the gas guage. The actually had bills for 57,000.00 that had been spend, but the guy who spent the money was a big time drug dealer so he took the biggest screwing. Actually the Drug guys took the car out of a body shop, so it just was thrown together. The air shocks on the rear leaked, so the car was almost dragging after 1 day. The rear end was supposed to be a 12 bolt chevy with a detroit locker, it was a 12 bolt and done right, but the locker was a spool. Anyway I drove this critter from New Portsmouth Ohio to Alto, NM in 2 days. I've spent another 7000, but I really like the car. It had a 400 SBC roller motor, March belt drives, Idit, electronic instruments, a tremec 5 speed. I guess I'm ok, it just took me 2 years to sort it.

Attached Files:

22. prpmmp

prpmmp

EXCELLENT!!! I'm crying!! Pete

23. Pharouh

Pharouh

Whew! I just spent the last hour or so reading this.

I got screwed back around 1980 on a set of wheels. They were in Truckin' magazine. Chrome wire wheels at a decent price.
    I even called the guy. He said he used to work for Appliance wheel co.and went out on his own. Yes,he had the size/bolt pattern I needed. I send a check foe $365. A few weeks later the UPS guy shows up with 3(???) boxes . Marked 1 of 3,2 of 3,and 3 of 3. WTF? To make it worse,they fit on the truck,but the welds for the spokes won't let the lug nuts go on.
    I call the guy,and if memory serves me right I actually talked to him once.
    I kept calling and leaving messages,getting more pissed each time. Finally I call Truckin' magazine and told them what happened. They said "yeah,you and about 20 other guys"
    I notified the BBB, A few weeks later i get a short letter saying basically 'the business is no longer there' Well duh
    I ended up giving them to a friend of mine who said he might try to use them on a trailer.

All you can do sometimes is chalk it up to experience.

24. RatPin

RatPin

I can't say I've ever been burned. I am probably too critical and skeptical to do it. I've only bought one vehicle sight unseen but asked a million questions and the seller was pretty much honest to his knowledge. Everything else I had seen in person. I almost always bring cash and always tell myself to not be afraid to walk away. Then I look it up and down noting any concerns to the seller. Then I hit them with a hard number. Sometimes they take it, sometimes they don't but I always give them my number and tell them to call me when they change thier mind and I would have transport there within the hour.

I have sold vehicles where the buyer has just been overly nitpicky with me and after the transaction was completed complained about the most minute things after seeing and driving the car before paying. Everybody is different and some people that may have buyer's remorse are looking for things to complain about. One of the best ones was when a buyer called me and said "the steering wheel is broke" because it was a half of degree off center when driving dead straight. I laghed at that one. He was a car guy too.

25. This is why I tend to flat-out give things away rather than sell them. I was selling a '66 Chevy Impala years back, had some dickhead telling me it was a '67... tossed him RTFO.

Bob

26. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I once corresponded with some jackass in Australia. We both wanted some new, high strength input shafts for a Clutchflite. He said he could machine them but had no way of affording or getting his hands on the Vasco 300 steel. We agreed that I would pay for the steel and the cost to send it to him, and he would in return make the shafts and send me two.

Of course, I spent $600 getting him the steel and he went from a once a day email to never hearing from him again. I just hope that wherever he is, he's got a kangaroo using an 18" long rod of Vasco to check his temperature.

27. Bluedot

Bluedot

I've read every post on this thread - some real good (tho sad) stories. Bobss396's quote above has forever changed the way I will look at old car and part purchases. I will henceforth go in looking for a way to back out. The few times I have been smart enough to walk away I considered the education I'd just received was worth my trouble, enabling my next inspection to be even more thorough.
    Been stung a time or two because my lust for a vehicle destroyed my ability to really judge it. A '66 Nova buy in Alabama about 15 years ago comes to mind.

28. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I only have done one deal on here where I feel like the seller knowingly burned me. I got part of my money back, but ended up just throwing the parts in the trash. Still makes me mad to see him selling a lot on here.

29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Like Dr. House says, everybody lies.

30. Not me but a mate....on holiday in the USofA and spies a genuine 65 Mako Shark ex-drag racer for sale, compleate with wild candy and shed loads of flake..at a bargain price (with exchange rates and all)....checks it out (he knows his stuff) has a drive and the 327SBC is on the right side of "holy shit!" as far as pulling power goes...he described it as frightening...does the deal, pays the money and leaves it at the dealers to arrange shipping...... 6 weeks later it arrives....the hard top is missing...the polished big and littles have been swapped for some skanky slot mags....to top this before he can get to the car he has to pay £2000 more in import tax than he expected because the Customs didnt believe the price he paid and went to a "classic car dealer" in North London to get the value...it got worse..the full on race motor had been pulled and a smokey 305 stuffed in it........the moral is never trust a dealer that you have already paid!