Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ill definately consider the wire wheel....

And hell yea buzz those unbraided wire wheels will stab the hell outta you when they break loose lol

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yesterday i didnt get anything done. I had a beer, bourbon, bbq festival all day. Today i scored a pass side front fender and steering wheel for 75 bucks. Fender is perfect, sat in a garage for 15 years, im gonna try to clean the wheel up and sell it .....

Attached Files:

3. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Didnt realize you had a GMC :cool:

What are you planning for a radio? I hear the original GMC radios are non-existent. Saw one one ebay last year though

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

The truck is technically a 55 chevy, someone switched to a 59 front clip before i got it. I then got the fresh gmc cab when i tore it down and decided to keep the gmc dash since they arent seen very much. As far as a radio, there wont be one. I may run an ipod to an amp under the seat and call it done....

5. Jack Sinclair

Jack Sinclair

Are you willing to sell 58 apache parts ? Jack Sinclair

6. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The GMC's are a natural for cool gauges. Looks good

7. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

are you going to use the stock bench seat ? if you are let me know what shifter you go with , i picked up a M20 for my 55 and it has a good hurst shifter on it but the arm is way to short (think it was in a camaro) , your truck is coming along great ! thanks

8. Huh? Why? You have some that need to be sold?

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Jack, what do u have to sell?

I just ordered the aluminum to make the gauge panel. Should be here this week. And yea im using the stock bench seat. I was going to just make a custom shifter hanfle for it tho. Ive heard the 55 chevy car shifter handle from hurst works well, its designed for a bench. Might check into that, i think its pricey tho

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. Brog

Brog

I saw something on here don't know if it was true, but basically the wire brush deposited into the metal and caused some spots to rust differently, which is why the guy was confused why there were tiny spots of rust on his new paintjob. Could be a longshot, who knows.

I'm in the same boat for blasting as well don't know what to do, I wanna get the cab blasted before I do any work that way no surprises come if I got it blasted after.

Guy near me wants $500, not what I want to spend right now

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Does he want 500 for just the cab or all the sheetmetal? The guy up here said he would come to me and do it behind my shop, he has a three hour minimum for work time and charged 100 an hour. All my sheetmetals pretty fresh and just needs old paint knocked off. He said the cab, fenders, bed, and hood would probably be about 450. I last talked to him about 6 months ago. I need to get back in touch with him soon

12. Brog

Brog

Think it was just the cab and hood last I remember, but he does do good work and is the only decent guy locally. I just rather shell out elbow grease rather than the money

13. 1959apache

1959apache

That's pretty cheap, just be weary because I have had some dope up here blast some metal for my '40 Plymouth and warped the shit out of it (he was cheap too). I would up getting all of my money back and he had to pay for new sheet metal, which is hard to come by.

14. 1959apache

1959apache

It shouldn't matter if you you epoxy it though, am I correct? You are sealing the steel from any kind of contaminate that would cause rust. Am I wrong on this?

15. Brog

Brog

I don't know paint is really not my thing, that's it's own entity in the auto world haha. It was just a thread with a problem and that was the best answer they came up with. Could of been a true problem magnified by a bad paintjob, don't know

16. Buzznut

Buzznut

The wire wheel thing may have some merit. I used a wire wheel on my firewall and went through all the proper steps and still ended up with spots of rust poking through...pi$$es me off too.

17. 1959apache

1959apache

Did you epoxy the firewall?

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I was gonna say brog, i think buzz caught hell with his firewall.... Whatever happened buzz ? I didnt see the final verdict on your thread

And 59, the guy who gave me the quote for blasting was recommended by hamb members in the maryland chapter on here. I forget what media he said he used on sheetmetal but he said he would absolutely not warp anything..... I wanna say it was a super fine crushed glass

19. Buzznut

Buzznut

End result: it's rusting through... :(

After wire wheeling I shot self etching and then hi-build filler primer. It was in primer for about 1 month while I was working on different sections, then shot with a single stage color, but a mere 5 months later (through one winter) I'm seeing spotting. I'll have to take those areas back down to bare metal, just don't think I have the energy or desire to do that right now. I'm driving it as it is and I'll tear it back down and do it ALL OVER AGAIN!!

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Im a total noob, but will epoxy prevent this ? Ive always wondered the distinct differences between epoxy, and etching ? Some guys swear against one or the other

21. 1959apache

1959apache

I know epoxy turns rock hard after about 6 months if not painted before then and is virtually useless afterward. It seals the steel, which is what I wanted. I have had it on the back of my cab, which I wire wheeled and have not seen any problems at all with it.

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I didnt know that it hardens up and cant be painted over after a while.....

N this week hasnt had many updates for the truck. Ive been working on my daily vw all week. I should be making the engine turned gauge panel friday....

23. dubie

dubie

epoxy primer has a window for top coating. For most manufacturers, if you top coat it within a 24 hour period, then there's no sanding required. After that, you'll have to scuff the surface in order for the paint to bond to the epoxy. but it will harden up in an awful hurry, hat's what it's meant to do, harden up and seal the bare metal from any moisture.

24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

What are you fellas runnin for parking brakes ?

25. Buzznut

Buzznut

Stock e-brake...I just dig that shotgun handle too much to get rid of it.

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

My brackets were all effed up on my truck so i got rid of em. any aftermarket ideas ?

27. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

I used stock setup and used the original cables on my 10 bolt. it works great. have you looked at a pinion brake?

28. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yeah, right now im almost positive im gonna run a pinion setup, Theres tons of shit out there for pinion setups on a 9 inch. Just lookin for more options or info

29. For parking brake I'm running the stock set up too.

30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Also my driveshaft notches are right where the stock brackets used to be so they wont work regardless