Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Willys PU build....from sedan panels.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kiwi Kev, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Very cool!
    Nice work, someone will be very happy to own this.

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great job on the Willys! Sure ought to get decent money for it!

3. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

Another great build Kevin,you say your not into perfection but you have perfected what a hot rod Willys truck looked like in the 60's.None of them were perfect then but they played a big part of what drag racing is today.It was a era that brought a lot of people together,old and young alike loved to see those Willys,Austins and Anglias battle it out every weekend at the local track.Thanks for taking the time to post all your great pictures of your build start to finish.Again a Great job,you should not have a problem selling this one...

Steve

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Kev, the last pic of the truck in the garage is a great looking pic. I know I have probably have asked this before but what are the dimensions of the inside of your garage.

5. Thanks for the kind words guys and thanks to the people who PM'd me with Ebay info.

enloe.... My garage is 38x 17 including the bathroom. The enclosed carport on the side is 38x 11.

Here is an engine shot. Just running a stock distributor and funky quadrajet to fire it up. We rigged up the electric gas pump to a gas can and ran it a little longer. Sounds pretty awesome and when you give it a big rev it really rocks the truck.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of trucks I really like that provided a little inspiration....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is one that ran a Big Block Chevy just to show my engine choice is not out of line. Of course they never ran them in the early 60's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    exterminator likes this.
  6. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Lookin' good KK!
    Do you know if that BB Ford powered Willys PU with the deep blue paint,goldleafed striping and Cragars still around out there?

7. It is still around and I believe still owned by Bill Burch. I saw it at Bakersfield a few years back and it was looking as mean as ever. Bill and his truck would make an excellent story for Rodders Journal. Same owner for so many years and an awesome machine.

8. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Thank you,Kev! That was one hot rod that inspired me-Your truck looks awesome and sits right!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, the one with the Cragars is sooooo right! I've never been a gasser guy or even a Willys guy, but your makin' me think bad thoughts Kev.

10. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Kev, I've often wondered why these guys seem to idolize you on this site.. Well after reading this thread, I know why... you do awesome work man... awesome work... your eyecrometer is perfectly calibrated... and your skill is top notch... Keep it up pal...

Oh, I know it's been a little while, but I hope your hands are good as new after the surgeries.... I've got a touch of Carpal Tunnel in either hand and it sucks !!

11. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kev
    Thanks for that. I have a mate who is trying to fab up a pair of sides for a '40 Ford pickup, and he looking for ideas on how to achieve a good look. Thanks again
    Michael

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

To find out how much it will cost to list it, do exactly that, but dont finalize the listing, you get a price before it goes live.

13. Michael037....I forgot to mention, you have to roll the panels before putting any bends in them or they won't go through the bead roller.

14. Took it to the scales today to have it weighed. 2180 pounds but it will weigh more when complete. Still needs brakes, converter, windows, battery, driveshaft, alternator etc. I suspect it will still come in well under 3000 pounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
    exterminator and bryanyeskie like this.
  15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

awesome, looks like it's ready for action, Kev!

16. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

It Looks great and sits perfect...

Steve

17. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Outstanding! A silk purse from a soys ear ...

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The Willys PU looks menacing! You have quite a way with Willys..

19. 2180 ? Dude that is freaking light, my truck feels like 4000 when pushing it by hand...lol

20. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man I wish I could afford that thing. I guess I will buy another Lottery ticket today and keep on hoping :)

22. Man,the truck has turned out nice. HRP

23. Kevin,
    The picture of the el camino and willys looks like a picture taken in the late 60's. You have done a super job. Truck sits perfect. The bed is awesome

24. Could you please not post pictures with Palm trees in them? The damn Willy's make us jealous enough!:D

25. I would love to have that Willys!!! Great job,Kev.

26. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Impressive work!
    Super nice Willys,looks mean and fast just as it sits.

27. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I just found an original '33'-34 Willys pickup bed. I haven't comapred photos yet to see if it is the same as the later models.

28. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

Wow !!! What a great pic. Its like turning water into wine. Kevin, this truck is so bad ass that you just raised the price of sedan bodies. !!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  29. If I were to keep the truck I would run some other wheels I have so I thought I would try them on for size just to see how it looks. 15x4 Crestlines and 15x10 Halibrands.

[​IMG]

exterminator likes this.
  30. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Badass !!!!!!!!!!!!!