Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

On down the road !!!!

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

I was in the first vo-tech class that didn't learn about lead. This is Edison vo-tech in Seattle, 1966. There was one guy that was working at a shop that was still using lead. He told us about warping a 1/4 on a '50 Ford 2 door because of too much heat. We all felt sorry for him.
    After class I would take a meandering tool through the neigborhood (Seattle's central district) that produced Jimi Hendrix. I was amazed.

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      482.4 KB
      Views:
    • 015.jpg
      015.jpg
      File size:
      484.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Karl stark

Karl stark

Saw Jimi Hendrix in concert. From what I remember he was US Army Airborne before the "Experience" experience. I'm sorry I can't get this conundrum thing off my mind, but is it that you are progressing so quickly with this project that you are puzzled about what the next project will be? Looking good Jer. Watch out for the Purple Haze.

4. Haven't seen this till now.

Looking great! Can't wait to see this one on the road.

5. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)On down the road !!!!:eek::cool::D

6. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK, here it is in K-36. I did put a dark primer on it to simulate what Jesse used and when he saw it he said "Hey, that area above the grille didn't have that droop", WHAAAAT???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looking killer man.

8. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

9. Karl stark

Karl stark

Jer, just my take. The photo you posted showing the darker primer, looks even a little darker where you sanded and is probably what Jesee is referring to. If the section between the headlight to the upper area of the "aftermarket" 41 grille was blended in a gentle curve, it would avoid the "droop" I think Jesee is talking about.The blending wouldn't have to come forward that much so you would still have that distinctive 41 grille profile from a 3/4 view. It is very subtle but would be noticeable. The sun lit highlights of that area in the photo Tnomoldw posted do look to have a little smoother curve to me.
    You are not only a true craftsman with an artists eye, but especialy generous in the inormation and photos you share with us. Thank you.

10. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jesse is referring to the severe tuck that you see in the profile. I was aware of it as I was doing the put together and, I did ask about whether the front had been repaneled (post# 430 ), as well about the hood being cut (snubbed). His answer was no. So, I sent him some original pics with my marks on them.
    This is a problem that gets dealt with different ways depending on the preference of the owner/builder. I don't have those options with a clone (tyrant).

Picture's courtesy of Rik Hoving

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  11. chrisman

chrisman

You do great work, Jer! There is one thing that got me thinking though, and I hope you don't mind if I ask, but are the two grilles at slightly different heights? I know different perspectives can be deceiving, and i'd happily be proven wrong. :)

[​IMG]

12. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

So is there a new plan? I way you did it is better but not conforming to the old way.:(

13. daddio211

daddio211

I would tell you to forge ahead, it looks bitchin'.... somehow I believe that's not in the cards.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

14. 29ToyA

29ToyA

15. jivin jer

jivin jer

I learned on Juniors car that you can really chase your tail around before you understand a very critical element in using old photo's to see how things look. They are all distorted. You must find an anchor and then build from it. In this case the bumper can only be in one place because of the holes for it in the lower panel. The gravel deflector then can only be one place and, the grille sits on it.

I felt pretty good regarding the "tuck" when I found this photo. Jesse is OK also.

This might not be the big drama after all. But I can tell you that the initial shock didn't feel very good. It's all cool now.

Attached Files:

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Compare to post 475..

17. looks great Jer ! It's beautiful today in the Pacific Northwest ! Coming to Portland Swap Meet ?

18. jivin jer

jivin jer

19. let me know if I can look for anything that you may need Jer... Happy to help

20. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Subscribed. Thank you for for the many detailed photos and tips this will greatly reduce the head scratching time when I am ready to proceed with my build.

21. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

This is the first time seeing this thread and I have to say I am impressed. She is coming along great!!!!

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progress,keep it up!

23. Karl stark

Karl stark

Just wondering how channeling the body will affect things.

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks Rob for the offer. I'm looking for a '49-'50 Mercury accessory steering wheel and a nice set of restored 552 Appleton spotlights. If you find these call me 253-261-9864.

Karl, I need more info on the channeling.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  25. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Jer and Karl what is getting channeled? Since I spend time (all) here on HAMB, I pride myself as a researcher. I try to supply info to those who ask. By directing to other threads, or from pictures , whatever..

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

I think I'm supposed to channel Sam Barris.

27. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

I find no info of Sam Barris using channeling . Maybe Chuck Barris of GONG SHOW fame?????:eek::eek::eek:

28. Karl stark

Karl stark

Tnomoldw, that Jer is such a kidder! Channeling is a process of lowering the body over the frame thereby giving a lower profile over all. There are examples if you type in "channeling" on the search function. They illustrate the process better than I can describe it.

29. jivin jer

jivin jer

I think I did read somewhere that Jesse's car was channeled. I think that Jr also told me that. When I asked Jesse about it (early on) he said "nope, the car wasn't channeled." WHEW!

Btw, another example of how treacherous magazine's are. We'll have an in depth discussion about this down the road.

30. Rikster

Rikster

Not channeled. The running boards were removed, but the body is not channeled over the frame.
    They loved to mention that a car was channeled in the magazines back then.

[​IMG]

Atwater Mike likes this.