Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever feel like calling it quits from the hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RICKY~RICARDO, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Been a lifelong drag racer and at 55 just getting into what I have admired from a distance for many years, hotrodding. Got a couple projects now so nothing is happening fast. I like to get at least one thing accomplished every day. When it gets overwhelming, I just crack a beer, sit down, and look at the cool stuff I've accumulated. I seem to enjoy that as much as working on stuff and it's a great way to unwind. Calling it quits? Never. I could sell all the stuff I have now but there I'm sure some piece of shit will show up on craigslist that I just have to drag home.

2. Lild

Lild

I came to the realization that I would probably never finish a car if I didnt buy it already running and driving. At the time I also had a car with title issues that really got me down. I sold that car and over a few months saved enough money up to buy a running and driving car and have been able to just focus on doing body work a little at a time and enjoy driving it.

3. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I know where your coming from. The six months have been rough for me and the wife. We had some water damage to our basement last fall ($) both our daily drivers needed to be replaced(more $), and a job loss and career change fort wife that saw us needing day care(stupid $). There were a few times when I looked at my stalled out galaxie project and thought I should just give up, sell it for the loss I know I would take with it in pieces, and just quit trying to play this rich mans game. My wife wouldn't let me sell it though, and now that things are settling down and we are caught up again, it's looking up. A older fella at work that trained me and mentored me these past six years an recently retired told me when I was frustrated by my financial mess,"this is America, you don't have to go to work to make money. Get creative." Keep your head up and keep moving forward, things may be frustrating today but thy wont always be...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you really love it, then that's just a sign you've either worked too long or hard for the day or over-thought things. At least IMO.

Go to the dollar store or hardware store and buy up a bunch of those basement desiccant packs/buckets to pull the moisture out of the air in your shop so you can keep the air dry.

5. 48bill

48bill

I'm almost 73. Took a break way back when. Need too keep it a hobby. Been interested in and / or messing with customs and hot rods since 1952 when I was first hooked by a little book on the playground in 7th grade. Took a break in the early 1960's, when I gave my brother my 42 Chev coupe, into the mid 70's but then it still was some modification, shifter, gauges, or restoring a 65 Mustang untill I bought the 48 convertible in 1975. Always did most of the work on the cars. Now drive the F-1 as my daily driver. Don't see giving up. I just work a lot slower these days but the list of stuff to do is still there.

6. I haven't spent too much time in the shop the last couple of months due to the fractured ankle but I am doing a few things to the sedan that I can do in a seated position.

I have been working on and building cars since my teens and can't imagine doing anything else but with this temporary setback I am more determined to get back in the shop on a regular basis.

I suppose we all experience being burned out but when it happens to me it is short term and I just crank up one of my hot rods and recharge my battery's by driving around and visiting my hot rod pals. HRP

7. 50shoe

50shoe

this. sometimes I don't have the time to turn a wrench for 6 months. then I have a day like yesterday spent a a buddy's wrenching all day and I have the biggest smile on my face at the end of the day.

I'll never be done with this stuff, not matter what I might think some days!

8. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Drive around in a "cookie cutter car" for a while, get bored to death then you will want to get back out in the shop and create something special.... It's in the blood brother.....you can't quit....

9. Weasel

Weasel

Been in and out of it but the virus never left - it just remained dormant. Went road racing for a decade which is more of a money pit than hot rods and then got back in. I like wrenching more than going to shows anyway because it gives me a sense of achievement to accomplish something and learn how to do stuff.

As my mom used to say "Go lie down until the feeling wears off"....;)

10. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

x2 HRP. I've been without a project ride a couple of times, (tough financial times etc.) but there's never been a time I wasn't looking for my next one.

While my wife was at the mall this weekend, I was crawling a junkyard two counties from home. Life is good.

11. It's the Weather:confused:

12. cmarcus

cmarcus

Ricky,
    Maybe I am too young to offer an opinion based on my "time" in the hobby, but I know for me the weather absolutely gets me down. My garage is not heated, and so when for months I can't "do anything" with my car, I find myself attracted to my other passions like music, etc. But the minute I get a taste of spring, or fire up my car, it all floods back... :)

I do agree with the others who have said stuff about having a car that I can just jump in, fire up and go, something that is not going to require a ton of work to miss out on all the fun of cruising to car shows, etc. (though I know for many the work is the fun, and with a heated garage someday, I will understand) Also, money is something I do not have a lot of to stick into this passion, so I work with what I got!

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

what the hell would you do ???????? cars are a way of life to the real car guys . ive had to step away for a few , but been doing cars since i was 14 . dont know no better ! just an addiction !!!!!!!!!!!

14. Speed~On

Speed~On

I never felt like quiting. There were times during my project when I thought to myself, "Damn, is this thing ever going to be drivable?". If that's what you're feeling, don't worry. Everyone has felt that at some point. There were days my friend and I worked for 10 hours straight and at the end of the day it felt like we hadn't made any progeress. (although in reality we really had).

Also, when you're years into a project and have a lot of time and money invested it can be concerning. You feel like, gee I better get this thing driveable or this was all for nothing. Don't let that get you down. Spring will be here soon (I hope). Like the others have said, maybe you just need to hit a few traditional car shows. That will light your fire again. Good luck and keep at it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  15. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I can't get enough of this "hobby"/life style.Waiting on Spring to be able to even see my car and projects that are buried under snow.I'm on here before work and after scratching the mental itch looking at other peoples stuff keeps me going.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Another option: sell everything, then buy a rod that someone already built and is looking to get out from under. There are some SMOKING deals out there for cars that can be bought for MUCH less than they can be built.

17. flat150

flat150
    from Wisconsin

Ricky - I have had the feeling once or twice over the last 50 years of loving old cars and hot rods. It was always family,money, work, time and over the last six years my wife's illness and loss. I figured I would really be able to make my last projects happen after retirement but it went the other way. The one thing I learned is if it is in your blood you will know it and keep planning and building and thinking about cars. My advice is do not sell your tools. Maybe take a break and if you need to sell your project.Keep your eye open for something to reset the fire. Just my opinion. Good luck

18. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

and medication! I know my expectations are more than my time and wallet can handle sometimes. So I just take a slight break and accomplish one item at a time.

19. This is the right answer. I would love to have a really cool fully traditional car but the time and funds just won't allow it. So, I am shifting gears and building simpler cars on a budget.

My low buck 32 Fordor was built almost entirely out of a Speedway Motors catalog. "Bolt on" is not a four letter word at my shop.

Build what you can with what you have. Having too much of a project is not freedom. It's jail...

20. johnnyvees

johnnyvees
    from sunland ca

Yes there are times when i say F#$K it all and thats when i go fish,n and in about a week i am back on the car .everyone needs a break now and then.

Early Ironman likes this.
  21. Hobby?,
    it's what I do,
    it's who I am,
    it's not a lifestyle.
    It's my life

22. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

X2

I am currently stationed in South Korea where there is NO american cars (that I have seen) its all Kia's and Hyandai's on the road but that doesnt stop me, I found a place that sells Hotwheels so I can still buy hotrods :D and I got the HAMB. No matter how much the World tries to remove me from a Hotrod Lifestyle...It Finds a way to survive!

23. Sometimes too much of a good thing is not good - sometimes you just need to sit back, get some perspective, and just do something different for a bit - then the fever comes back. It has to because like HRP says, it's in your blood ....

24. Life goes in ebbs and flows. If you are not happy working on cars, back off for a while. Plant a garden, then you'll wish you had more time to work on your car!
    As for selling your tools, that in my opinion is a cardinal sin! Even if you aren't playing with cars there are other reason to have the tools. I cannot imagine having no tools, or even few tools, or even a normal amount of tools. ;)

~Alden

25. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Being in a car club helps motivate me. Anytime I'm doing a major item and I might get frustrated, I'll catch a ride in one of my buddies cars and go get some brews with them. It makes me want to get mine done even more, but gives me time to forget the headaches it gave me.

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

27. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

I do have other passions in my life my dogs :) my games and art work even model cars and xbox 360. I have always loved old cars since i was a kid, it's this weather that has me bummed out i don't think i will sell anything it was just a cry for some advice thanks guys!

28. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

If you think hot rodding never goes right and things are tough, get you a race car and try to make to the track every Saturday. I'm building a hot rod with a lot less money and time. Like said above, maybe a small break would help. If it was easy everyone would do it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

rockable likes this.
  29. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Actually the opposite has happened to me. When I was younger I used to worry that someday I would not have the desire or energy to keep messing with hot rods and old cars. That has never happened to me and I just had my 67th birthday. And now that I am retired, I have even more time to spend doing what I love. I feel blessed and that's the truth!

30. Of course. I think most of do at some time or other. When I feel that way, I do quit. Yup, just close the garage dooar and walk away. It usually passes from an hour to about 3 days and I've got some new idea I just HAVE to try out.