Register now to get rid of these ads!

460 Ford???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjm73

tjm73

If you run factory heads it might apply, but today's aftermarket heads and intakes make that formula more or less obsolete.

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Both of your viewpoints have merit. There is so much that can be thrown back and forth; the tried and true method is to do like we did in the "olden days" and actually try different carbs on a motor to see how it responds. Camshaft lift and duration can effect results too. What might work well on 460 "A" motor might not be so great on 460 "B" motor. It all boils down to the internals. All I can speak for is the experiences I've had with my own motors as well as my friends' and customers' motors. Too much carb kills, too little carb kills too.

3. OneBad56

OneBad56

Volumetric Efficiency does take aftermarket heads and and intakes into consideration somewhat. As indicated, it's not perfect but its a good base to start from. Carbs are just too expensive to have several CFM sizes to play with until one finds the perfect one.

Holly has a carb selector formulae based on this:
    holley.com/applications/CarburetorSelector/CarbSelection.asp

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I started with an 800 Holly on my 460. Ported stock '69 Lincoln heads, 12.5 CR, big Crower flat tappet cam. Ran good. Tried a 1150 Dominator on the same Offy Port-O-Sonic manifold modified for the bigger bore spacing and with an adapter for the bolt pattern. Started good out of the box. Idled good, good power. I loved it. That's all I know about 460s Oh yeah. Even Garlits thought it sounded strong.

5. I run a 780 Holley on my good one, a 600 on my stocker - both are 429s.

6. Mine likes an 850 cfm carburator for shifts at 5K. on the street with a mild cam I've found that 750 is all around good, milage and performance.

7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

This is the first time I've heard good mileage used in reference to a 460.;)

I worked at a Ford dealer in the late 70s and 13.6 mpg was the best I ever saw on bottle runs. Of course these engines were used in big heavy cars and trucks.

8. FLATHEAD VICKY

FLATHEAD VICKY

Thanks for all the info. Does any of you 460 guys have a crank and water pump pulley set up for sale Mine has a 3 groove crank and a2 groove water pump and I'm having clearance problems. Thanks. Chris

Attached Files:

9. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Yea went a week now with the smaller one. Figures id get back to u. With the 770 and tuning as good as i can (sarcasm not bragging) noticed good off the line performance into about the 3500rpm range. Felt like it would get winded around there. Thought maybe a lil lean so i jetted up two sizes and did the paper clip test (real science here baby) to see the secondaries opening. Since putting on the smaller card (670cfm) and once again tuning like a champ noticed the motor was alot snappyier. Felt better low end. Also doesnt feel as winded on the highway. So think im goin to leave it alone. Thanks for all the help!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Well if I wasn't sold on the 460 before I am now. Great info.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm glad you have come into the light, Grasshopper. :D Whatcha gonna put one in?

12. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

13. I just take that outer groove off with a die grinder when I run into that.

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Do you have a build thread we can check out?

15. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

No probs, just keep us apprised of your progress. Sounds like a fun project.

17. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

Sense? so your telling us that with the same combo your going to make the same HP with 31 less cubic inch, really. Show me any old school engine that's naturally aspirated with a cam that has a duration in the 220s at 50 thousand that can make 505 hp, it isn't going to even come close. I have built many 460 combos so I have a little knowledge on the subject.

18. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Hey guys, I'm building my first blower motor, plan on putting a 871 blown 460 in my "A" sedan.
    Stock crank and rods for now, Ross pistons, and the biggest cam I can get in it.
    I need some advice on carbs, I'm going to Decatur swap this weekend and would like to find some carbs, just not sure what to look for.
    I'm thinking a pair of 750s ?
    Any advice would be great.
    Thanks

19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If you plan to drive it on the street you will be much happier with a smallish cam and 600 or 650 carbs.

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

There's a guy on here right now in the classifieds with a pair of 750 blower carbs for sale.I think this is your lucky day.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

hey powrshftr whats diffirent about a blower carb ?

22. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The stock crank and rods will be ok if you keep the RPM reasonable.

For the cam, you want to keep the valve overlap to a minimum with a blower, so you want a wide lobe separation, something like 114° or 116°, and also keep the intake duration in check.

Narrow lobe separation and high valve overlap gives a cam that lopey idle, and helps make power in a naturally aspirated engine, but a rowdy cam with a blower just dumps the boost (and fuel) out the exhaust.

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The blower carbs will have a boost reference power valve system.

24. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

thanks for all the help guys, i love the HAMB.
    Im going to the swapmeet in the morning, how can i tell at a look if the carbs have a boost reference power valve system ?

hey and thanks for the cam info relic, got any suggestions for a cam ?

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It will have a separate vacuum port that would go to the intake sorry done have one in front of me right now or I would take a pic.

26. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Isn't that just for carbs used in a blow-through application....?
    I'm not being a smartass,I'm just asking because I've got my 6-71 sitting in front of me (in my living room..haha) and I will need to look into a carbureted setup as a backup plan if my injection plans don't work out....

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No the the port is for boost reference and needs to be hooked up on the boost side of blower so the carb can inrichen the fuel under boost condition

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Because the power valve only works when the vacuum drops off,not when the blower is making a stronger vacuum signal....Gotcha.Had a brain fart there.Thanks.:)

30. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Hey guys, I need some help with the pulley set up.
    I want to run the stock mechanical fan, and alternator, and would like to run the power steering pump,
    This 460 with a 8v71 is going in my 29 tudor sedan, street driver, so id really like power steering.
    I've never had a blower on any thing, so I'm wondering how the bottom blower pulley will work with the accessory belt pulley?
    I need to get the front of the engine set up so I can start sitting the engine in the chassis.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.