Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for RECENT feedback on WWW radials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KustomLincolnLady, Mar 22, 2013.

1. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

I know this has been beat to death on here, but in my searches I am only finding OLD threads.

The Lincoln needs new tires. leaving coker out of the equation, what have your recent experiences been with Diamondbacks? has anyone got experience with Lucas? and how are BFG's doing in recent years?

Its been a long time since we bought www's are there any new ones on the market?

we are currently running BFG's which were purchased through Coker after going through 3 sets of cokers and numberous blow outs. we like the BFG's just want to explore our options.

if it helps keep in mind that the Lincoln is a very heavy car in the rear and has skirts which build up the heat, hence the problem with our cokers.

appreciate any info anyone can offer ;) Thanks in advance

2. BAREOOT

BAREOOT
    from CALIFORNIA

Been running diamond backs on my cars for years, i wont run anything else.
    Foot

3. I have the BFG's on the Chevy. New set has been on almost a year, absolutely no complaints. Even balanced out nice, without a lot of weight.

4. Running DB's on my truck. Been about a year & half with no problems. Truck is a daily driver, about 60 miles a day. Mostly freeway driving, usually between 75 to 85 mph. They feel much better than the radial Coker Classics I had before.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used DiamondBacks for many years now, on several different cars, and have never had an issue with them, either tread wear-wise of whitewall whiteness. My next pair of WWW's for my '36 project will be DB's.

6. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Ive 4 sets of Cokers. 2 coker classics and 2 bfg
    Ive had 8 sets of DBs.
    Most recently DBs.
    Ive decided its my tire of choice. No more cokers. They seemed to yellow on me.
    The DBs Ive had never did. I only had to gently wipe them off.
    My .02

7. I'm still sold on Cokers,,but use what you want. HRP

8. fleetside66

fleetside66

I've been running some Diamondback WWW radials on my daily driver truck for some years now. I have no complaints other than the fact that the sidewalls were were radially dimpled from the get-go. By this I mean that the sidewalls have subtle furrows radiating from the area where the tire meets the rim to the the area where the tread starts. It's a cosmetic thing, albeit, but a flaw nonetheless. I probably wouldn't buy them again without assurance that this flaw was taken care of.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I've got 215-75R 15's Diamondback whitewalls on my '55 Cadillac (prolly bigger and heavier than your Linc)...now going on my third year. Put over 5000 miles on them last summer...tread's still like new, whitewalls are bright white, had no issues with balancing and would not buy any other whitewalls (even tho they are over $200 each right now...!!!).

Fortunately, I won't need to replace them any time soon (I'll give 'em a few more years and a few thousand more miles). You can do worse than Diamondbacks...!!!

R-

10. mikey 29

mikey 29

I had the same problem as Fleetside66. I was scared to run the tire with a bulge on the side wall, so I bought another one. They said it had to happen when it was mounted. I don't know but I don't like buying 5 to get 4 good ones.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just checked... The radials are still really ugly! :)

12. Laughed out loud.

While I agree bias look better and more correct I am scared (I dont say that often) that bias will drive poorly. Can someone talk me down of the ledge? Building my first straight axle car (32 coupe) so I dont know what to expect.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  13. I have run Cokers, Diamond Back and Goodyears. My choice would be the Goodyears. I had extreme balance problems with the Cokers, The Diamond Backs were O K, but the Godyears balanced with little to no weight and the whitewalls stayed white with very little work. I used Eagle tire and wheel cleaner on al three brands and the Goodyears worked the best. I bought them from Kelsey Tire in Camdenton Missouri. Pricey, but they all are. Traditional?, no.
    Later,
    Dick

14. 54rat210

54rat210

Don't do it. I always hear bias ply ride like crap . Guy down the street from me selling some brand new bias ply on 54 Chevy wheels for $400. I offered him $100 for all four.

15. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Bias plies don't really ride rough on old cars from my experience, my radials ride way rougher than any bias plies ever did for me. It's just a myth. On the flip side though, bias tires do wear out way faster than radials and have more rolling Resistance so that means worse gas milage on daily driven cars. Also, from my experiences, Cokers hardly ever balance out well, they are usually egg shaped.

Radials for the win as far as I'm concerned...I don't care how "ugly" they are, they are better tires. Period.

16. GREASER815

GREASER815

Well they look stupid as hell, ruin most any vintage car they are attached to, and cost too damn much money. Firestone or BF Goodrigh bias plies are the only way to roll. I have thousands of trouble free miles, and unbeatable looks to go with it.

17. Not concerned about rough ride, I dont want the car to wander, I expect this thing to ride a bit rough.

18. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I've had several cars with bias ply tires and put many many miles on them. On a car that is well maintained and properly aligned with tires that were balanced correctly it will ride and drive great. I never wandered, had odd wear patterns, or any of the other myths.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...!!! Personally, I think bias plies are ugly, but then again, so is flat black paint, red wheels and overly chopped tops.

When you put as many miles on a car as I do in the summer (I run a close second to BobK-and he puts a lot of miles on his Chevy), radials handle the best on the highway -any highway.

And Dirty Dave, IF you plan on putting on a lot of highway miles, get the radials...

R-

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Stop thinking too much. You have an old truck, right? And I assume you like driving old trucks, correct? Put the proper bias tire on it.

21. tred

tred

i have run DB's, and Denman's in recent years, ZERO problems. i have numerous problem with cokers.

not to hi-jack your thread lincoln lady, but what about Firestone's, anybody have any input?
    i found a set for my gal's '55 Ford for about $800 delivered.
    $1350 for cokers is ridiculous.

22. silversink

silversink

I have Denmans on mine and love them, balanced good ,no wander, no early morning thumping, and wear real good

23. dz111

dz111
    from Maryland

Any luck on the tire decision? BTW, what size do you have or did you go with. I've gotta 54 Capri aswell, currently running L78 bias ply, but need new ones too. Am considering 800-15 or 820-15 to be correct?

24. coppertone

coppertone

Diamondbacks will treat you right. On my second set. Still had plenty of tread on my first set, but they were over 10 years and 45,000 miles old. Got a good deal on the second set, traded a puppy for them.

25. Radials? I thought that was a type of vintage airplane engine.....

26. I've ran bias plys on my 32 fordor sedan for 15 years,,thousands of miles no problems,,I've had them on my 32 pickup since 2007 and have just shy of 14 thousand miles.

I have radials on the wagon and they have been good tires but I only have right at 2000 miles.

Bias Ply do look better IMHO. HRP