Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting a title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msinclair32, Mar 23, 2013.

1. msinclair32

msinclair32

I live in Oklahoma and Iam building a 1939 ford truck. Can anybody tell me how to get a title for it? Thanks

2. Talk to local Authorities.

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Contact your DMV

4. joee

joee

it's not just you or OK......i don't understand why people buy,work on,build a car/truck with out good paper work......

5. ChefMike

ChefMike

search the internet there are company's that can help get you a title, is there any numbers etc. stamped on the frame you should be able to find numbers on the drivers side of the frame just past the front of the cab.

6. 409ina49

409ina49
    from Ohio

I've seen guys selling 'clean' titles at swap meets.

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Those are "historical documents" and illegal to register with.

8. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

So just make one up. Draw it on construction paper. Use a crayon, that helps.

(Talk to your DMV)

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Because a good percentage of old cars laying in fields and in barns don't have a title that go with them. In most cases the title has been lost years ago. If we hot rodders walked away from every car that didn't have one 50% of the cars running around on the road today would still be sitting in that barn.

There are legal ways to do it, you just have to research your particular State..........some are easy, some are nearly impossible.

Don

10. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

TL;DR: Don't walk away, but get the title before you start.

11. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Ohio would be in the "impossible" classification. The cars end up (in pieces) at swap meets. You can't even scrap a car without a title!

12. 5window

5window

Exactly. From the majority of the responses, it's pretty clear. Save the vehicle, then get the paper work straightened out THEN put time and money into the project. Should be simple to comprehend.

For the OP, only advice from OK is applicable-every state is different. Contact your state DMV.

SERPENT likes this.
  13. north side

north side
    from texas

talk to the DMV I just went thru getting a title in Texas for my 51 Ford, it wasnt easy but its done and now I have a Texas title for it. It can be done. But go the legal way, you dont want any issues later on when you have put alot of time and money in your project.

14. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can understand the difficulty working on a car with no title. Why would you put the effort in? If you start with a pile of parts, the DMV is going to want to see a complete car to be sure it is safe to be on the road and thus issue a title to. Specially constructed vehicle. If it is a complete car that only needs restoration it will be easier. Bonded title. Check with your state, most want a complete vehicle to collect taxes on.

15. jesse1980

jesse1980

Does the truck have a clean vin on it? If so write up a bill of sale from Georgia, take it to the DMV and get the title, they didn't have titles in Georgia until 1984. I got a buddy that does it here in indiana all the time. It's not illegal either if you really bought the car or truck in Georgia. ( hint hint).

16. Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  17. Willy_P

Willy_P

As stated above, check with DMV and whoever performs the titling inspections to obtain the correct procedure.

Not sure how it is in Oklahoma, but this was my experience in Kansas on the legal way to get the paperwork in order.

If the body, frame, engine, tranny are original, a bill of sale is all that is needed.
    My understanding is that this eliminates the possibility of stolen parts unintentionally being allowed on the car.

In my case, I only had a bill of sale - neither of the 2 previous owners had a title for the car.
    And, the engine and tranny were replaced - 307 and a 4 speed.

The result of this was that the Kansas Highway Patrol inspection station (KHP) would not inspect the car without a court order.

The solution was to file a "quiet title action" in court through an attorney - it can be done by yourself, but is a PITA.
    For a fee (I paid $300) they perform lien searches and check for previous owners.
    If none, then done.
    There were no liens, but previous owner and names of 2 other owners of record were located.

To clean it up, another $300 to file "petition by publication" in the county where the previous owner was of record, requesting anyone with a claim on the car to come forward - takes 40 days.
    This step files suit on the previous owner(s) to order them to either produce a title and claim the property, or sign a release of any future claim to the car. If no response is received in the allotted time, they forfeit any future claim to the property.
    NOTE - I called the seller in advance and explained that he would receive a letter to be signed releasing claim to the property, so he wouldn't get freaked out - its just the procedure.

After the "petition by publication" time limit expires, the attorney goes to court, the court issues a journal entry formally quieting any future action against me in the case of this property, and a court order is issued for the KHP to inspect the property.

The attorney gave me the court order, which orders the KHP to inspect my car.
    I took the court order and bill of sale to the KHP inspection station, and with the court order, they inspected the car, issued me a MVE-1 (KHP motor vehicle inspection statement), and on my way to the MVH, presented documents, paid fees, done.

This took $600 and 4 months to complete, from first contact with the attorney to MVH fees paid.

18. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

piece of cake ---tag agents advertise on craigslist in okie land---if you don't like your local tag agent call another one...

19. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

olskoolspeed you can scrap a car in Ohio with out a title, it just has to be in small enough pieces and don't ask me how i know

20. master85

master85
    from TEXAS

:confused:
    HOW DOES THIS WORK HERE IN TEXAS?! I NEED TITLES TO MY TWO 39s.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

It all depends on what state you live in. There are no titles on older vehicles in Connecticut. Bob :)

22. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

Some states only require an out of state title to be accompanied by a bill-of-sale. Some, only a bill of sale and no title. Call your DMV and ask what they allow, but don't give them any personal information. The less they know the better it will be for you later. Titles can be obtained. I used a title agency about 18 years ago and it cost 250 bucks and was legal. Last time I checked it was around 900. As they say..."there's more than one way to skin a cat". That's just one way of many to get a good title. Do your homework and plan accordingly.

23. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Read DMV rules and it explains how

24. stratochief427

stratochief427

Google Broadway Title Service

25. Some useful info here on many of the posts. Bottom line is have a title in your name before you invest(risk) more money than you are willing to lose. A good modern title is the best way to be sure. The title is part of the value of a classic destined for restoration. Nothing wrong with dragging home a find and doing the paper afterward as long as you do it before you get too invested. Reviving classics is a challnge on many fronts. If it's worth the prize then it's worth the fight.

26. For Oklahoma, best way is the title 42 process, usually from $55-150 depending on who you use.

I've had a couple done, pretty easy for stuff with a "normal" VIN.

27. castirondude

castirondude

I have gotten two titles for cars that I bought with no paperwork, here in Texas. It's pretty easy, you take a picture and/or pencil trace of the vin, and you document how you obtained the vehicle, I.e. hand written bill of sale from the seller. You fill out a form and you go to the dmv. Then they will give you a letter stating you need to apply for a bond since the documentation does not meet their standard (I.e. state issued title). You take that to an insurance co to get the bond, about $100 I think, and then you take the dmv papers with the proof of the bond to your local county tax assessor. Then you pay some money and you will get a title in the mail.

The nice thing is that there is no need to take the car anywhere, no licensed inspector is required, so it is "carcass friendly". They do state it has to be a complete car, I.e. you cannot just take a model a block and license it. The one car I did had no engine when I bought it so I got the engine installed and the car running before doing the paperwork. Just to be honest.

On my packard the main vin was on the engine but there was another "anti theft" number punched in the firewall. Since the engine is toast and will be replaced I used the number on the firewall. This was fine. (I had pictures etc to support my statement)
    The other car had a california assigned vin riveted to the door jamb and they also accepted that, even though the computer was giving them a real hard time that there were already like 10 cars in the state with that same (5 digit) vin#

All in all if you're honest and show them the car is real they will work with you to make it happen. Again I took a bunch of pictures of the car and vin just to show it was really all there.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

28. castirondude

castirondude

I'm sorry I didn't read carefully. My tx advice won't apply to ok.
    Well, if OK fails you and you have a buddy who lives in TX you could sell the car to him, he can title it in tx and sell it back to you.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. skidro69

skidro69
    from Dothan, AL

If you buy it in a state that doesn't require a title, take it home, to a state that requires a title, then a bill of sell is all you have. The state that requires a title has to accept the bill of sell, and issue a title for your home state.

30. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I'll probably catch a lot of crap for saying this but scour eBay and CL for a total heap parts truck the same year as yours with a clean title. Transfer the title to your name, then once you've got the clear title registered to you, put the good vin tag on your builder. Is it legal? No. But if you take it in for inspection with a good vin and the title has already been in your name for a while, they're not going to tear the truck apart to find something wrong.