Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Phil Remington Modified Mystery.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Mar 22, 2013.

1. So where did it go? According to the article in The Rodder's Journal it was taken from Phil's parents garage, the person supposedly had Phil's permission to run the car, never to be seen again, maybe not in the LA basin.

So I was looking thru my copy of Hot Rod Handbook (Fawcett book 129) [1951] and imagine my surprise to see a close up of Phil's Modified at a Saugus dragstrip. So start searching the barns and out houses in the area you may just find an icon.

[​IMG]

and how it looked when Phil ran it.
    [​IMG]

2. Carter

Carter

Jimmy, forgive my lack of knowledge, but when was the second picture from? I am aware that Phil removed the tail from the car, but in the upper picture it has the tail again.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. One other pic from the Hot Rod Handbook
    [​IMG]

4. That last pic was taken around 1949
    From what I know it had the tail when it was taken from Phil's parents garage.
    Where did you read he removed the tail? I don't recall reading that.

5. Carter

Carter

Edit: Nevermind, he added the tail later. Not sure what I was thinking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dan Webb knows the complete history of this car up to its disappearance. I'll check with him and maybe he'll chime in.

7. Carter

Carter

Ok, I had never heard of Irv Brendel before, but a quick search says he was a member of Auto Union Club and went on to build Hondo boats. Also the name Jim Burleson comes up on a post on Performance Boats forum.

8. crb

crb
    from socal

Barns and such around Saugus? While there are a few, most areas have been turned into new housing developments. Saugus has now been developed into and swallowed up as Santa Clarita, a city of almost 200,000. Not saying it can't be there but......:)

9. Carter

Carter

Jimmy, do you know when the modified went missing from Phil's parents house?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. Blackie

Blackie

When Dan Webb was 3 yrs old he actually took Phil's car. Stored it all these years and recently uncovered it claiming to have built an exact copy. I call bullshit...

11. Not sure, sometime in the early 50s. Flatheadpete might be able ask Dan the year.

12. That would be great!

13. Yeah, that's it. I am so glad you could contribute such useful info.:rolleyes:

14. ash

ash
    from Detroit

At dinner one time Phil claimed when he was away working his parents sold the car. The car was completely destroyed in a drag racing accident (I would have to ask dad Dan Webb the exact year). But the only thing left of the car is the time tag, which is in the car.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. ash

ash
    from Detroit

Only problem is that it was destroyed before dad was born ;)

16. Thank you for chiming in Ash. I saw these photos in the Hot Rod Handbook and had to ask, they were likely taken 1950-51 as the book is from 1951. Also Saugus drag strip was opened in 1951. So fair to say it was destroyed around 1951-53 period?

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The other day I was re lookin at that RJ

Can someone explain the lack of water pumps on the new car ?… I did a skim threw but could have missed it

18. ash

ash
    from Detroit

Hey Greg, Phil did not run pumps on the original car. I'm not sure why, maybe he felt they weren't needed for the short runs.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

this is a old thread but the only one I can find on here about this car, so sorry for dragging it up. does anyone know the wheelbase of this modified? I find it interesting that it uses Model a frame rails and crossmember. I guess that stuff was a penny a dozen back then and easier to find than chevy or Essex frames.

chryslerfan55 likes this.