Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas tank issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1948stude, Mar 22, 2013.

1. 1948stude

1948stude

I have a TANKS universal poly tank in my truck, the PO had an aluminum tank that kept breaking welds. Well I cut that in half and used as a tray to sit the poly tank in.... it has been working fine and yesterday I started the truck up was letting it warm up and the motor died just stopped, long story short I have diagnosed that I was not getting gas. I can get it to run just fine from a gas can through a filter and straight to the fuel pump. So I checked and blew out lines and went to the tank and pulled the outlet hose pulled it below the level of the tank and no - gas - if I blew on the same hose I would get gas for awhile and then not, the pickup hose/pipe that goes into the tank is not clogged either - i pulled the tank and Im in the process of getting the rest of the gas out - Two questions; 1) should I get rid of the gas - maybe it is bad?? 2) how do I clean and figure out what's going on with the tank? Thanks!!

2. Is it vented? Gas can't get out if the displaced air can't go in somewhere.

3. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

My guess is also on the tank not being vented properly. When you go to put gas in after driving for a little while does it make a huge vacuum noise when you open the gas cap?

4. 1948stude

1948stude

has a vent tube /roll over device that goes up one of the stake pockets in the truck bed???
    Why would it also not work when out of the truck the fitting for that vent is open - I also checked to see if that fitting was clogged and it is not????
    No vacuum noise when filling

5. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

1) working fine for how long?
    2)mech pump might be unable to PULL hard enough.
    3) sure by all means change out the gas , it WON'T Hurt.
    4) Is your gas cap vented?(in not, it can be cured).
    5) fuel pressure gauge to see what the pressure is.

6) carb floats sticking? er not... off and on... ?

:cool:

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Is this your tank? http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...ategory_id=133/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd83.htm

I assume that the tank manufacturer has a venting system and instructions on how to use it. If it worked when first installed and doesn't now, something changed. Maybe the vent plugged but it is easily checked by removing the fill cap. Is there a screen on the pickup in the tank or is it just a tube? Something can plug a tube easier than a screen. Tanks lists an option for a pump in the tank so the pickup must be removable so you can check it out. I would contact Tanks to get their input.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Check the fuel line carefully from the tank to the fuel pump. A crack any where can let air in and ruin the suction. I've had this happen to the hose at the tank. I had a pick up tube inside a 47 Chevy tank crack inside and it would run out of gas when the level got below the crack. It would run out of gas even though the tank was 1/2 full.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  8. Are you using a vented gas cap? HRP

9. 1948stude

1948stude

1) Working for almost 4 years
    2) Ok this maybe the case - works enough to pull from a gas can but not the tank at the end of the truck, but with the tank right by the pump -since it's been pulled ?
    3) No just my wallet :-(
    4) cap is not vented nor was the original that came with the tank
    5) I actually have one around somewhere I will do that
    6) was running fine and like I said I would intermittently get gas from the tank
    Yes that is the tank in the link above.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  10. sedanbob

sedanbob

Check your roll-over check valve - it may be clogged, preventing it from venting. I've had insects build mud nests in a vent in my boat.

11. Yeah, I had a tank vent plug in a buddy's 71 Chevelle..same deal, insects building houses in the vent tube.

12. 1948stude

1948stude

I will check that valve, but again I have it out of the truck sitting by the front with nothing attached to the vent just the fitting and I am still having the same problem...

13. 1948stude

1948stude

ok check valve in breather/roll over seems fine closes when I sucked on it open when I blow could hear ball move...
    Got the truck to run from the gas in the tank using the filler hole (where I normally put in the gas)
    Switched to the fitting on the pickup tube - dies after running for two minutes???
    pulled the pick up tube and fitting and stuck the hose in the hole where the pick up tube goes and then truck ran for over 5 min. with out dying

Not sure where to go from here - guess I could dump out the gas and look around inside??
    If it were bad gas or the pump the truck would not run at all or run like hell right?
    I did not hook up the fuel pressure gauge, because I have a hard line from the pump the carbs and did not want to cut that just to put the gauge in line... I forgot thats why the gauge is sitting on a shelf...

here are some pics who knows it could help
    [​IMG]You can see the pickup tube and its fitting then the gas line going directly to the pump is in the hole that the tube normally goes in the other open hole is where the fill tube goes.
    [​IMG]

14. 1948stude

1948stude

Got the truck to run from the tank at the back of the truck through all the fuel line. Going to put in a new filter run some gas treatment through it and see how goes - not sure how or why it is working now???