Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford 390 valve clatter. 1963 T-bird please help :-)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TrioxinKustoms, Mar 21, 2013.

1. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Got a 63 thunderbird over here today and got it running.. its an early 60s block, it has hellacious valve chatter. I called my dad who is a long time mechanic and he said its most likely due to sitting for years and the lifters just need to prime up..

any other opinions. I'm hoping it is that simple... I took off a valve cover and oil was seeping up into the rockers pretty slowly but of course I didn't race it, I just let it idle.

I bought this car as a gift for my grandfather and I really really hope it isn't anything serious..

I have it running off of a gravity feed.

2. Umm, how long did it run??

If less than 5 minutes, your Dad is probably right, and you owe him an apology for doubting his word.

Cosmo

3. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

less than 5 mins, and I don't doubt his word at all. I just want to put my mind at ease is all. A second opinion always helps.

4. metal man

metal man

Solid lifters make their own, special kind of clatter, even when recently adjusted.

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

HEY,

I like the old ATF trick for old sludged motors...........remove the oil filter and replace it with a new one, bext, add a quart of ATF to the oil, Run at idle for 30-45 minutes DON'T rev the motor! Drain and refill oil and change filter. Depending on how dirty the motor is. you may need to do this more than once. Watch the dip stick, and if it;s black again, drain , refill and change filter. I didn't think early 390s had solid lifters?

I'm lookin for a 60:)

6. metal man

metal man

If I am remembering correctly, the 330hp and 375hp versions had solid lifters, as early as 1960,as well as some others. I am no expert, just pointing out that it MAY have solids...and they can be noisy.

7. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

its a mercury motor, I'll have to run the numbers to find out more about it. I let it run a few more times.. this last time I let it run a few mins.. I can't tell if it got better or not, I listened to it so long I got used to it. ha ha

8. Put in some Marvel Mystery oil and let it idle for 30/40 min then see what it does. Unless it is a HIpo it should have non adjustable rocker arms and be Hydraulic lifters.

9. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

If the valve cover are correct with the engine it may be a merc 410.. and those had hydraulic lifters.. Also from what I read they are balanced at the flywheel. I hope this car isn't going to become a mess...

10. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

posted at the same time. I will for sure grab some MMO and let it run until it dies tomorrow.. I'm trying to stay positive about this thing.

11. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I have had great luck with Marvel Mystery oil and gummed up lifters. Either that or some Sea Foam in the oil. Both will clean sludge.

12. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Thanks for the help guys, I will add some MMO and cross my fingers. I will post progress if I make any...

13. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Pop a valve cover and look for adjustable rockers....only solid lifter motors had em!
    While covers are off look for oil on top of the heads.

14. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

I had the cover off while it was running.. at idle the oil was just starting to seep down the top of the rockers. I don't know if it is just that sludged up or if the oil pump is shot among other things.

15. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

I will also add that the top end was full of black greasy carbon also.

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Probably a combo of burnt oil, and lead deposits left for the days when fuel had lead in it.

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

We had a 65 Pontiac that sat for over a year when my buddy bought a Grand Prix. It would hardly run when he decided to put it back on the road. We added a quart of Rislone oil additive and drove it around the Beltway. it took about 3 exit ramps before it settled down and purred like a kitten. I don't believe in a mechanic in the can but it will cut the gum from an engine that has been sitting for an extended period of time. It's worth a try.

18. shocker998md

shocker998md

unless I missed reading it, you have or had a valve cover off. Well are the rockers adjustable or not? If they are look up how to adjust them.

If not I would back off each bolt and re torq them just to be safe, you already have the covers off so why not and its free.

After that ATF or Marvel Mystery oil it and run it for 30 min and then dump the oil and put fresh in there. While the valve covers are off check and make sure the head drain holes in the back corners arent blocked.

MeanGene, Frozen merc where yall at? I cant believe yall havent hopped on this one. Google FE forum and hop on network 54. Best FE info you will ever get.

19. I had the same problem with my dad's 62' Galaxie convert. An old time mechanic added a qt of transmission fluid and after driving it a bit it cleared up the clatter. Tranny fluid is a very high detergent light oil. After doing that I'd change the oil.

20. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

X2 on the ATF treatment. My old man would add a quart to the family 56 Ford from time to time & when it came time to rebuild it, it was clean as a pin in there. Sounds like its pretty sledged up.

21. motorhead748

motorhead748

If the atf trick doesnt work and you decide to change the lifters, they can be r&r`d without removing the intake. The 4 corner ones are a little tricky but still not bad. The whole job can be done in a hour.

22. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Wow guys, thank you so much for all of the help. I was getting pretty worried when I saw it wasn't getting much oil up top, I bought this car for my grandfather who got a 62 bird off the lot in 63. He ran his until 92 when my grandmother got sick and he couldn't afford to fix the tranny (he put a 4 speed in it).
    He built the car and ran it in NJ until the 70s. It had a 390 with 3x2 set up and a 4 speed tranny..
    Anyway, his old bird has been sitting in the barn for years and years now and is in really poor shape so when I got the chance to get this 63 I jumped all over it.

The guys who had it before me couldn't get it started.. They even put a new starter in it but I guess forgot to tighten the ground strap on the block :-D ha ha.

Anyway guys, I truly thank you for the help and putting my mind at ease.

I will clean up the top end as much as I can and then run some oil and ATF through it a few times.

I'll upload some pics and keep you up to date on my progress.

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

Have you done it ?

24. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

While I appreciate the concern for my where-abouts...:rolleyes: I felt there wasn't a whole lot I could add. The OP has an old gummed up FE most likely with hydraulic lifters. If the ATF and Marvel tricks don't work, then it is time to break it open and at a minimum do gaskets, bearings, and rings while cleaning everything up. Machine work if needed.

25. 427 was the only one with solids as far as I know.

Hydraulics get stuck or stick a little and will be more prone to that when they have set for a log while. The ATF trick that was mentioned is a good idea or get yourself a can of rislone and put it in your oil. It may take a coupld of oil changes to get the crud out but it is the easiest way to get it done.

26. motorhead748

motorhead748

Many times, Ive probaly changed a dozen complete sets on FE`s without removing the intake.

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

OP you never said if there is adjustable rockers?

28. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If the bottom of the lifters aren't gummed up or flared. Then it can take an hour to remove each one with a slide hammer.

29. I've had a couple of 352/390 Fords that were pretty sludged up. The MMO trick worked well with both of them. I'd add a quart and run it around town for a few days and dump the oil. It did make a difference, but didn't knock out all of the noise. These had the common rocker shafts which probably did have some wear to them.

Bob

30. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I have the same question as shocker99md ; Are the rockers adjustable, or not ?

Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK