Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Chevy Pickup Front Bumper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adapt, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Adapt

Adapt

As I stated in my tranny post, I am new to HAMB and new to restoring cars. I am not a mechanic by trade, and learning as I go. I was given a 1954 Chevrolet 3100 from a gentleman that passed away at my church. He dropped a mid 70's Chevy 350 in it and replaced the front clip and rear axle from a donor Trans Am.

I never even thought about a front clip replacement when I ordered a front bumper. When I went to install it, I noticed the donor frame is much wider than the brackets to mount the bumper. About 6 inches on each side. There are two ways I can think to try and make this work. Remember I am a novice, and this is my first truck so fabrication is new to me.

1 - Weld some metal to the existing frame to make the gap narrower thus giving me supports for the stock bumper mounts.

2 - Try to fabricate my own bumper mounts that will bolt onto the existing frame. I do not have metal bending equipment.

The only other option is run with no front bumper.

What do you all think?

Attached Files:

2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

I think the front bumper is the least of your worries after looking at the picture.

3. Adapt

Adapt

That was about 2 weeks ago. I just pulled the old bed off and decided to completely replace it. I have the rear fenders off and sanding them down in preparation for paint. I have the rear bumper on, rear lights mounted and working. My plan is to get the front grill mounted. It came with a black painted 5 bar and an actual bull nose that was painted. I have the bull nose at the chrome shop now. Once I get the front bumper mounted, here is my order of work:

1 - Pull motor
    2 - Disassemble body and repair any small rust holes
    3 - Prep body for paint
    4 - Sand frame
    5 - Paint frame and body
    6 - Reassemble with proper wire management
    7 - Install interior (have all but the door panels so it will go to a shop for those)
    8 - Celebrate

I have to finish this truck as a present for mu wife and I's anniversary on May 5th. She is a trooper and letting me work most nights.

4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

5. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Nice truck! I think option #1 is your best bet, maybe make some channel iron spacers and just bolt them onto the existing frame horns (?)

You've got a lot of work to do in a short time frame - good luck with your project.

6. Adapt

Adapt

Nice truck in your photo.

This is what I started with. A bed full of loose parts with nothing labeled and know info on what had been done so far. I am about 3 - 4 weeks from being done I hope.

Attached Files:

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did almost exactly what Waldo53 suggested on my 48 when I subframed it.

Block the bumper up to the front of the truck and get it lined up exactly the way you want it to fit. Then figure out how you can run some pieces from the subframe to where the bumper brackets will bolt to them. You may have to run a cross piece between the frame horns and then run a pair of brackets off them.

It might not be that hard. Here scroll down to post #4
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=423697
    That will give you a bit of an idea but those look a bit wide for an AD truck as the space between the brackets on the bumper is going to be right at 28 inches.

8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

This comment is confusing and lacks any usefullness. I guess I do not understand the statement. My mother has always said, " If you can not say something nice, do not say anything".

I thought his question was answer correctly in a later post. Fabricating brackets to adapt the frame to the bumper is they way that I solved this problem when I originally did subframes a long time ago. Later I made a frame jig to make weld on brackets for the front bumper. Bolt on brackets allow for adjustment and changes.

John

9. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Join the AD Truckers group. Theres a couple of threads on how others have over come the exact problem your dealing with and has pictures. Also it would be awsome the have another 54 in the group. Keep on trucking man.

10. Adapt

Adapt

Pardon this question, but where do I find AD Truckers?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. ...mite need somethin like this...you mite have to shorten the bumper brackets (the end towards the engine compartment)
    [​IMG]

13. Adapt

Adapt

That is exactly what I need. I tried so fab something yesterday that slipped in below the radiator, but the bumper than sits too far off. I will give your option a try.

14. Adapt

Adapt

Well I got it done today. Looks like I have a very similar front clip to the pic above, but they did a piss poor job cutting it in the front and it was not even. Thus I could not weld directly to the frame.

I ended using part of the brackets that I cut off to create 2 tabs that slid right in to the slots under the radiator surround. Now I have bolts holding it in and can take it off fairly easily.

Attached Files: