Register now to get rid of these ads!

1938 ford deluxe panel truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrSweeneyRod, Feb 12, 2013.

1. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Now this thread is going to be part build and part questions. I own a 1938 ford panel truck, and at the moment it's being built by a fellow HAMB member in Mn. I know early panel trucks don't come up much so I wanted to do something special with mine...And this is what I have found and how I want to build mine.

[​IMG]

A stunning looking truck, does anybody know who owns it ? As I would love to speak to who built it as I have loads of questions about how could i do the same to my panel truck.

This is my truck how I bought it last year.

[​IMG]

And this is the frame after painting and ready to build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this moment I'm finding parts to build the 38 deluxe front, but just really would love to know if any body else has built a 38-39 pickup with the deluxe front ?

2. I can't be any help at all but I love seeing these old trucks with passenger car sheet metal on the front,,appears as though Henry might have designed it.

I'm sure you would need to do some work in the cowl area to make it work but man does it work! HRP

3. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

that pick up is great---anybody got pics ?

4. Way cool! I've got a '40 Panel. Good luck with it!

5. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

...does anyone have any pictures of a 38 ford pickup cowl and a 38 ford deluxe cowl so I can see how different or similar they are ?

6. abc123

abc123

7. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

After a lot of digging i have found that the easiest way ( as most people said ) was to use a 38 deluxe cowl, but theirs no way i would have the heart to cut up a perfectly good car...so have found two complete wrecks in Georgia for good money, along with some other nice 38 deluxe parts.

So if your after any rear fenders for a 38 deluxe I'm sure he has some.

8. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

9. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chassis starting to take shape.

10. lawman

lawman

Nice start !!! Please keep posting.

11. 55willys

55willys

Nice work so far! Wrong engine :D but that is because I am biased by my last name. Jim Ford (55willys)

12. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

13. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Also if people like any of the pictures of work, it is being done by a fellow HAMB member and friend "Dan Pate" in Mn.

To get the 38 ford deluxe front to fit, the cowl sides of a 38 deluxe ( junk car ) will replace the cowl sides of the panel truck.

14. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

I would have gone for a ford v8, but again...budget...i just want the truck up and running, it's my first build and I'm still learning.

My plan is to get the chassis and main parts of the body work finished so i can fit the 38 sheet metal. Then when I'm ready to pick it up I'm going to come to Mn and build the block as a 383 stroker ( tri power ) and get it shipped back to England.

Then when it's here i can finish it, so final parts of the body work, inside and electrics.

This truck for me will be a keeper.... So as time goes on i can rebuild and replace for parts i really want.

15. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Have managed to buy a couple of parts for the deluxe front clip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's just the 38 hood sides that i can't find now...not even any for sale. So if anyone knows of any please pm me.

16. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Nice grill you have there. Somebody is bound to have a set of hood sides for you. Tried the classifieds?

17. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Thanks, it's the straightest grille i have seen for sale, plus it came with the original center piece...i have been trying every wear for the hood sides and nothing.

18. the p.u. you posted looks really neat, hope your panel comes out as nice, good luck with it.

19. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

No progress pictures I'm afraid. Just ideas.

[​IMG]

Found this roof section for sale and it got me thinking, my truck is going to have the 38
    Deluxe front but what else...the rest will just be 38 panel truck, so after finding this roof section with split rear window why not use these in the rear doors, ( i know they will look like early chevy panel truck rear doors ) but i will know and can say they are 38 deluxe rear window sections.

20. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

[​IMG]

Finally found a set of 38 deluxe hood sides...now these were hard to get, found them in a mustang garage.

21. Good find on those hood sides. I'm still looking for a passanger side.

22. Cool idea. I can't wait to see more.

What does the dash in that truck look like? A passenger car dash would be cool.

[​IMG]

23. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

[​IMG]

This is what's in my truck at the moment, a deluxe dash would look great.
    I know the dimensions are very similar.

24. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

If your intrested i may have a lead on a set that's abit ruff but workable ?

25. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

[​IMG]

This is what is going to sit on top, going to be rebuilt with the frog mouth scoops.

26. 4444Design

4444Design

i love panel trucks - combination of cool ride and transport

keep the pics comin'

27. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

No progress pics I'm afraid just three more ideas I'm going to use on my truck...

[​IMG]

A pair of 38 Oldsmobile rear lights like these are what I'm going to use and have them mounted about 4 inches below the body line, they should flow nicely with the curves of the truck.

For the dash i was thinking of something else, but after much thought descided to modify what i have and use the center waterfull section of a 37 ford.

And finally is my wheel selection and stance, this has been on my mind for along time. For the rears to go with the panel truck half of my build will be 16x7 steels with the 38 v8 hubcaps.
    On the fronts will be early style artillery wheels 15x4, again with the v8 center caps. I wanted this selection as i thought the simple steels for the rear as its still a panel truck and then the more detailed artillery wheel for the 38 deluxe styling at the front.

Kan Kustom likes this.
  28. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

29. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

[​IMG]

Have finally found an ok shape 38 deluxe cowl.

30. mercsforever

mercsforever

Just found a '38 Ford Panel. Complete. I like it.

strangepanel likes this.