Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PATINA / how Bitchin' is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R. Seghi, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackJackPG

BlackJackPG
    from Idaho!

1940 Chevy... Wanted to leave it this way, but as we went, we figured out that everything needed going through. Kinda bummed, but what can ya do?

ImageUploadedByTJJ1363847310.373806.jpg

Cool thread!

Pete

2. fleet-master

fleet-master

real patina like this is waay cool,faux patina is naff IMO

as the old saying goes...they're only old once

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  3. Muttley

Muttley

4. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Everyone thinks this is an old 60's survivor,
    but it's really just 6 year old weathered rattlecan!
    [​IMG]

Contrary to what looks like half the posters on here,
    I will proudly fake blend the patina on this rusty thing...
    [​IMG]

TP

5. Merc'50

Merc'50

Original paint and 6 decades of neglect in the Texas sun.

[​IMG]

6. Hopefully that words 15 minutes of fame are about over. I find myself cringing when I hear it now.

7. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

I would love to trade the word back to "ORIGINAL" ,because that is how I describe my car to people .My 41 has worn paint ,white house paint over the roof (covers the grey from factory ) ,and some bleed threw to original metal .I wax (old paste turtle wax) the car at least once a month up here in Michigan during the good months to protect her from the elements . I am going on 13 years owning the car this way ,plans are to never re-paint her !

Attached Files:

8. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

some may not like it,but it puts bank in your pocket. built and sold these all 3 in a year !

Attached Files:

9. 3030

The A has original paint except for the chop the 34 new.

Attached Files:

10. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Rust is a cancer....would you want to have cancer?

11. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Done my share of restored glass smooth paint jobs and always felt sad because they start going downhill the day you finish them. That`s the best they`ll ever look.
    Tired of driving in fear of scratches, chips, weather damage and having to work my ass off to keep `em clean.

I`ve enjoyed my shop trucks more than any high dollar rides I`ve ever done. Sold my F-1 last year and have missed it terribly since so this last winter we built two patina trucks to drive.

My wife gets the Chevy and I`ve got a "new" Ford truck to run around in.
    I can get out of it and not worry about someone leaning against it or stepping on the running boards. Now I feel better.

If it`s not your cup of tea then so be it but don`t judge someone elses ride. They`re all hot rods.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      530.4 KB
      Views:
    • 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      396.8 KB
      Views:
  12. mutleys comet is about as far as paint can be patinaed with out it being just an old rusty neglected car

junkyards are full of patina (rust), car shows and cruises shouldnt be IMHO

13. Aceswild

Aceswild

My Buick when I got it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a little TLC...about 40 hrs of wet sanding and buffing...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its still a 10' paint job, due to some bubbling under the paint and all of the chrome needs redone, but at least it shines!

14. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

^^^ Yup this...getting old now

15. Looks cool, but I'd never want one. I hate rust, fucking shit causes more work for me, so fuck that.

16. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

rust serves no purpose. I don't know of anything it benefits.It's a cancer of the thing I love.

17. LAROKE

LAROKE

This is temporary "patina". I'm hopin' to scrape enough coin together to paint my fenders black again on my daily driver later this year.

[​IMG]

18. aagasser

aagasser
    from ny

I built this fiberglass car a while back and the black gel coat looked like hell soooo about $15 dollars and 3 hours later I had my paint job. I got more compliments on this paint job then my $10,000 one on my Nova, I guess people just expect shiny and when they are surprised its not rust they just love it.

[​IMG]

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, just WHEN did this FAD of leaving a car with a worn out, rusted finish get started? Was it a group of guys that needed a way to validate a look? Because as long as I can remember, the end idea on a cars finish was shiney paint.

When did owning a "rust bucket" become cool? And why do guys running "patina" get pissed when someone calls their car a "ratrod"? It ain't how yer momma raised you, that's fer sure.

Just curious, without starting ANOTHER thread on this wornout, bullshit topic.

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

don't be bashful fred...tell us how you really feel...:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

You can call my car whatever you like, got 15 more in the garage you can call names too, including a T bucket in the works :D
    The FAD as you call it started I think when someone realized the fun of owning a car is driving it without worry ( just my opinion, that is when it started for me) and being able to build it CHEAP. Not spending thousands of dollars to worry about rock chips, door dings, aholes who key cars just because they cant have it, etc..I used to drive my 70 chevelle SS396 convertible to work every day in the late 1980s early 90s until it became an all day affair worrying about it getting stolen or damaged. It sits now with a cover on it to come out another day.
    Built the 37 buick (frame off rotisserie build, everything cleaned and painted, new everything underneath, etc..) and left the body untouched. Don't assume because there is no paint that the car is not restored where you cant see (many "unfinished" cars are built this way). I don't have to wash it, don't have to worry about door dings (hell people MOVE their cars to not be next to it) and I don't worry about it getting stolen. Built it for not a ton of money in a year from start to finish. Gets great gas mileage and goes anywhere (although I do need a new heater this year!) Anyone who has built a car knows how things snowball during the build..paint this so now need new chrome..new rubbers..repolish the stainless..you can spend a lot of money pretty quick. I used low buck good parts I had around, lots of stuff that was too good to throw out but not good enough for a show car. Made swap meet shopping fun again. Lot of fun to drive and the response from the man on the street is a thumbs up. Generally people love it, my young daughter loves to ride in it just to see the people stare in disbelief. Like myself I am generally bored with the typical shiny paint show car, this aint boring to me.
    So while you dont like it not everyone likes T buckets either..although mine will be out next year (painted! :))

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  22. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

So if you like Patina..Why put new White wall and Shiney new Mags on her?? Why are wheel and tires OK ??

23. 63comet

63comet

Guy I used to work for, probably the best mechanic I've ever known, had a car that looked rusted out because he just didn't care about that side. Awesome ride, probably would have spanked anything else in it's class.
    My car looks great to me. It went through a resto like twenty years ago. I always have people make derogatory comments on the paint and chrome. None are showing what I'd call patina, they just aren't showroom.
    I feel you should drive what you like and fuck everyone else. If you build a car to make others happy you're lame. Don't try to fake the funk.
    If you don't care abOut paint fine. If you want shiny go for it. Your ride does not need my approval. For what it's worth lots of HAMB cars annoy me because in various ways I think they're trying too hard. You know what? They!re not my cars so my opinion doesn't matter!
    As long as you can jump behind the wheel and go vroom vroom at the end of the day the car is a success.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always felt and still do think calling rust, neglect and worn out paint "patina" is just another way of saying that one is too damned lazy to work on his own car.

Now a nice survivor with the still fairly shiny paint worn thin in a few spots from constant washing and waxing over the past 60 years actually is patina just as the well worn leather on a well cared for saddle or leather could be called patina.

Take a close look rust mongers, this is real "patina" original paint or very old paint that is still in pretty good condition with no rust showing anywhere. You can see where it has been polished thin to where the primer is showing in a few spots. I'm pretty sure that this is the same car that an old gent told me he had had for years back in the late 80's and was afraid to drive because the gas gauge didn't work. No neglect there just signs of years of being cared for.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I try to keep mine as nice as possible but the paint is far from perfect as it's chipping and cracking all over the place. I'd like to see what it looks like if someone with some skill buffed it out.

Pics by Texas Speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

When i finally get my truck on the road it will have to look how we have built it, and i wish i could get it sprayed just that easy, but like other people on here I'm working to a tight budget, and my pride will come from what has been built and my ability to drive it...then when i save up it will get sprayed in the period correct colour.

27. aagasser

aagasser
    from ny

I think the most fun I ever had with my "patina" car was when two nerds in a new Corvette pulled alongside me on the parkway and started laughing at my old rust bucket. On the next turn the Corvette is hauling around this turn ,nerd 1 looks in his rear view mirror to see a chopped 32 grille about 10' from his back bumper, then just to rub it in I flashed my brights for him to get out of my way I passed him like his car was shut off. The nerds got very unhappy :mad: I think we laughed all the way home. Patina to me is just waiting to get paint on it ,or just drive and enjoy your ride and screw what other people think.

28. [​IMG]
    from this
    [​IMG]

I think the original patina looks better than the primer they rattle canned onto it.

29. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

30. 63comet

63comet

I used to have so my h fun playin those games in my GT6. Crotch rocket guys really hate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.