Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 chevy wagon in progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cody Walls, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

i must say i like the merc grill better

[​IMG]

2. oldman2

oldman2

Yeah, the merc grill just sets it off...Jim

3. Looks really nice... Kenneth!

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A real pleasure to follow this outstanding build. Thanks for taking the time to document everything!

5. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thanks guys

6. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

I've kinda ran into a snag , what im having trouble with is there is a odd ball size window channel that goes in and around the talegate area that the rear window goes up and down in, , mine are in really bad shape and cant seem to fine a replacment channel anywhere , the channel is 7/8 x 7/8 ,
    any info or help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

so far I've tried

restoration specialites
    hubbards
    ecklers
    impalabobs
    cr laurence

heres what my original one looks like

[​IMG]

7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

8. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

yah thats about the biggest i could find as well

9. bigpokie

bigpokie

That is exactly why I needed. Makes sense now. Did you have to adjust any other mounts like the box braces at the rear wheel wells ?

10. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

mine were actually 3/4 of the way rusted out so when i lowered the body down over the frame it kinda did what it wanted to do , i ended up cuttig all of that out when i did the 3rd row seat conversion

11. wolfex1

wolfex1

12. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

13. wolfex1

wolfex1

Will the inside width of the 27/32" fit the thickness of the chrome window trim? If so, I think that the wiskers should have enough give to allow a 1/32" difference. The only problem is that the window edges won't have as deep a cavity to rest in. How much problem would that be? Otherwise, with a little effort, if the channels are straight, you could fab up your own channels with a break and line them with some heavy felt from a fabric store. Just a thought.

14. oldman2

oldman2

Cody, don't know if this would help, but here goes. The 47-50 Chevy pickups had one piece side glass with the metal band around the entire side glass. The also had a larger channel for this to sit it. I don't know the dimensions, but you could call and talk with them. Check with Classic Parts their number is 1-800-741-1678 and the part number is 03-611. Good luck...Jim

15. Cody try http://einstyn.com/einstyn-wagon-parts.htm and go to tailgate parts. I stumbled across them looking for parts for my 62 wagon. The part comes to you flat and it folds into the shape you need. Look at the pictures and decide for yourself. It worked out for mine.

16. The 59 Source

The 59 Source
    from PNW

I may have a set for you to replace your rusted channels and reline them with the product milscruffy posted about.

17. 59brokewood

59brokewood

Looking good! I like that grill. What is it from? I may have missed it, all I got was merc grill. That is sweet!

18. Hooptologist

Hooptologist

There's a place called Indianapontiacs.com that has 2 or 3 59 Pontiac wagons they are parting out. They may be able to hook you up.

19. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

sorry guys it took so long to get back to you alll , ive been extremely busy , for thoes of you that dont know im really trying to get the wagon done for the Rodders Journal show at the end of september i know it might seem like i dont have a lot to do , but in all actually i still do , with the rear window felt im just going to make it since i cant find any thing , thanks again for all of your guys help

pm sent

its from a 60 merc thanks
    thanks for the info

20. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

juist a quick update since i still have a lot more to get done tonight

at home ive been finishing up the exhaust
    [​IMG]

down at work ive been doing body work on a lot of the small pieces and getting them ready for paint i also finished rebuilding the vent windows and installed new glass
    [​IMG]

21. 59elcaminodave

59elcaminodave
    from Md.-De.

Cody, that grille looks great, can't wait to see it w/ the trim..hrs + hrs + hrs of just metal work..can't wait till you can drive to a show buy a chair to sit in & gaze at your work while you answer peoples questions..the day is coming!!

22. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, I give up. I'm just not smart enough to keep up with your design work :) How exactly will this thing install? It seems like the pipes would have to be "over/under" (i.e. one on top of the other) for that to fit under the car. But that doesn't make sense on a car as low as yours. School me please :eek:

23. See post # 564

24. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

Cody, I'd like to post a recent picture of your wagon on a French forum I'm part of, if you agree.

Can you post a recent pic of the body, on wheels, looking as cool as possible? AFAIK, recent stuff has mostly been details and I don't remember where to find views of the whole car.

Cheers mate!
    And of course I will link to this build. You deserve at least that credit.

25. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you! That was 18 months ago and I plead old age :eek:

26. Love the wagon, Cody, longroofs rule!

Like the Merc grill but if it was mine I'd move the inner headlights over to the outside, like the stock lights. The distance between the lights is ungainly and takes away from the wide and low stance you've got going. IMHO.

Great thread, thanks for sharing.

27. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

thanks dave ,
    soory i didnt get back to you sooner ,

thank you
    sure , thanks
    yah its crazy how time flys , but yah it all tucks under the car

thanks , if it was an easy swap of just moving the headlight over i probly would have done it but the way the grill is , and its pot metal would be very hard to do , would be easyer with the other grill , but everyone has there own opinion ,

28. north side

north side
    from texas

29. Yes Cody, but my opinion is right!!! :)))

Just kidding, you're doing a great job on one of the absolute coolest cars ever.

One of my bucket list cars.

Of course on mine I'd have to make it a no post four door with a full retractable hard top..a full time girl-in-a-bikini chauffeur.

You've set the bar very high my friend, here's to cool station wagons on the Delmarva!

My daily is a 55 Chevy wagon, 4 door, with the posts and a non- retractable roof <g>

30. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France