Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest WARNING: I'd strongly advise Caution Dealing with Larry Brown

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lono, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lono

Lono

WARNING - WARNING- WARNING

Before purchasing anything from Larry Brown aka Collector Cars and Parts Exchange be forwarded of my experience.

I recently negotiated a purchase of a 55 Nomad with Larry.

We agreed on a purchase price of $28750 plus shipping on the following conditions.
    1) That the car title be in his name
    2) That pictures of the vin tag and registration would be sent to me.

Larry Brown agreed to this and requested a $500 deposit be sent to him via Western Union.

The Western Union was sent to him on Saturday, March 16th.

On Monday, March 17th, Larry Brown messaged me to say that HE WAS NOT WILLING to put the vehicle in his name, ( this breaches our agreement).

He then said he WAS NOT WILLING to provide photos of the vin tag or registration ( again breaching our agreement). - This makes it impossible to do a lien search putting my complete investment in risk not knowing if the car has a lien or if has been reported stolen.

At that time I insisted that my deposit be refunded, which he agreed to and said he was going to town to do it and he would send the MTCN money transfer number. HE HAS NOT and is NOT returning emails.

This leaves me to take action by contacting Boarder Security, The Missouri Highway Patrol and the IRS in an attempt to get my money back.

Be very careful and aware of Larry Brown aka Collector Cars and Parts Exchange he is located in Tyler Missouri, he sells on Ebay, facebook and other places.

2. Lono

Lono

3. Lono,
    I understand where you are comming from he has not kept his word with you. That is bad business pure and simple.

Nwow to enlighten you a bit not that it makes any difference, he probably does not want to transfer the title for two reasons, one may be that the title may have been dated and if he has had it long enough it will cost him about 250.00 in fines to get it transfered. The other is that he would have to pay sales tax on the car to transfer the title. While it is not likely that he paid anywhere near to the 28K even if he paid 15K for it the sales tax would run somewhere close to a grand.

4. burt21

burt21

no excuses the guy made a deal if it costs the pecker $1000 so be it.Stick to the deal!!! Thanks for the warning. this guy sounds like a shop I had do some exhaust at where he gave me a price and then when it was done said well it took longer then he had thought he had it on the rack when he gave me a price. Some people are just in thier own world.

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Could this be the one that vanished on LARS weekend?

6. Torchie

Torchie

Sounds about right. Here in Michigan it is illegal to Jump or skip names on a title.(Of course the Sec of State would have to find out about it). If this guy is a Dealer licensed by the state he could get his license pulled for this kind of stuff. That may also be the reason he doesn't want the title in his name. He isn't licensed to be a dealer and he flips to many cars a year. Michigan used to have a certain number that you could sell per year and not be considered a car dealer.
    Also in Michigan (if you read the fine print on the newer titles) they want you to make a photo copy of the title once you have signed off and dated it to keep for your records.
    Good luck,

7. Lono

Lono

Here's some pictures of the car.

Attached Files:

8. Lono

Lono

I wont buy any car with clear title... its a fast way to get burned and holding a lien.

I dropped my guard and got a $500 burn... Stay clear of Larry Brown. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

9. slimpick

slimpick

Sounds like the kind of guy that reneges on the deal because he found someone (at the last minute) that would pay him 100 bucks more for the car.

10. Lono

Lono

A flipper... Curber .... I asked where the car was for a shipping quote and he said, Taylor Missouri. Then when he said he wasnt willing to release pictures of the Vin tag or registration he said it was because it's in Iowa.

He's got a shit load of cars from all over that's he's flogging ... just remember the name LARRY BROWN... and be carefull.

11. monsterflake

monsterflake

well, if your deposit was via western union, it's entirely likely that the whole thing is a scam, and that nomad's REAL owner would be surprised to find out that it's for sale.

(edit-apparently this is an actual junkyard/car lot. still not a good idea to western union deposits))

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. 2935ford

2935ford

Are you sure he even has the car?

An honest seller would never agree to one thing and then refuse.

I wonder how many $500 deposits he already has!

13. Lono

Lono

looking for a hard to find part... or a project car, he'll have it.
    Dont do it, you could loose everything.

14. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Break a deal, Spin the wheel.... Aaarrrgg!!! ( Tina turner in mad max beyong the thunder dome )

sorry when I read your post this popped in my head.

I hope you get this worked out.
    Godspeed
    MrC.

15. Lono

Lono

So far he's refusing to even answer my emails.

DONT TRUST LARRY BROWN WITH YOU MONEY.

16. Sucks man hope u get your cash back and you find this scum

17. cayager

cayager

thanks for the heads up. thankfully in life i havnt been burned, at least not real bad. maybe a few hundred. at least your not out 25k plus. but $500 still sucks for anyone. it only takes an asshole here and there to make an untrusting world. car guys should be good people. ive never screwed anyone out of anything and dont plan on it. hopefully we can smear his name but probably wont matter to this scumbag anyway. im sure he makes a paycheck on $500 here and there. all you can hope is someone bashes his head in someday.

canuck43 likes this.
  18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Almost 30 grand to a stranger and you didnt fly down to take a look at it in person.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seems like Western Union is the common payment method that scammers like. I doubt anyone is scamming with Postal money orders, other than buyers with fake or stolen ones.

20. Lono

Lono

Contacted the Chief of police in Quincy, ill. his last home.
    Going to try their help first, then its off to the IRS.

21. cayager

cayager

just looked him up. about 150 cars for sale. his number is 573-541-1970 if anyone wants to call? nomad still on website.

22. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

Don't get too reliant on the IRS helping you. You may cause him some grief but the IRS doesn't act on every complaint so don't count on it.

If it were me I'd either forget about the $500 or go down there and kick $500 worth of his cheatin ass.

23. steve185

steve185

you need the title to get it across the border.
    Steve

24. Paul B

Paul B

Sorry Lono but im'calling scam on this one, Western union is the tip off. the scammers use it all the time. i messed with them on craigs list- ebay they all ask you to send money via W.O sorry if iam wrong beers on Me Paul B

25. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

26. Lono

Lono

I should clarify:
    I will not buy a "clear title" car that is not in the name of the person selling it.
    It's a fast way of having to pay someone else's lein.
    In this case, Larry Brown wants to bypass the legal process of registering teh car in his name prior to selling it again. And by refusing to release the vin number for me to do a lien search means something is sideways besides the fact he just ripped me off of $500.

Anyway, ya'll been warned. Dont get scammed...dont loose your hard earned money... dont deal with Larry Brown of Tyler Missouri.

27. Lono

Lono

28. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

You know not that it makes any difference but I have unknowingly looked at a couple cars this guy had advertised. I didn't realize it till I seen the Facebook site shown here on The Hamb. I'm not a facebook er. Sounds shady glad not to have done any business with him. Sorry it cost you $500.00 hope you get it all back somehow!

29. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You can also contact his locale DMV as ask for an investigator. In California, it is illegal to sell and car which isn't in your name or business name. It may be the same in his area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.