Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Gotta bore the holes. But it's done

[​IMG]

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you do good work man :cool:

3. Meyer

Meyer

Cool build...

A question about the crossmember and transmissions mounts... is that stock crossmember the only one then? Are those just grade 8 bolts with some kind of DOM sleeve over them that hold it together?

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

That's the one yea. And those are grade 8 bolts with plates that bolt under the crossmember also. The tubes are 4140 chrome Molly tube with structural 1/2 inch anchors I cut down to fasten it to the trans . Seen it done before and it worked great. There is also rubber bushings in it also

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. box50

box50

I'v seen that somewhere before looks good buddy.

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Working on the e brake mount today.. It's a little far away from trans but it has to be with the rear trans mount. It will still work ok. Once I convert the car to juice brakes I will use this to operate the e brake cables.

[​IMG]

9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Now you have figured out the solution to not having to cut the fire wall and utilize the stock A rear end. Gotta eliminate the stock mechanical pump and build a swan neck breather.

I did this about 8 years ago when I built my full fendered AV8 coupe and it has been working great ever since.

10. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Love the work you are doing. Especially like the pulley parts on the dining room table - that's COMMITMENT! ;)

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I decided that I wanted to change the column height in my car.. I made a few more lengths of drop. Since my f1 box is only tacked in place it will be easy to decide which one I want .

[​IMG]

12. Tank

Tank

I like where this is headed. I will be following! I have a thing for AV8 coupes as well!

13. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you decide which one you are going to use let us know if you want to sell the extras

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I make them very easily and cheap. Please Pm me. I did some more test fitting. The shorter one of the two is best for a sock seat . The longer one works great for no package tray

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

E brake bracket is all built. Works great. Only had ten mins in it too! Trying to figure out this clutch lever.... It's rotated up to high for a late fourties style pedal assembly. So I may have to split the engine and trans and either re drill the holes for the fork location or the lever location. Any suggestions ?? Here is a few pics . Thanks guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Any new progress to report? I really enjoy following this build.

17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Progress is slow, been working on my pulling truck also..Finally got the holes bored down through. Had to have a machinist do it. I couldn't get them to be square . Ready to bolt on !

[​IMG]

18. olskool34

olskool34

your clutch lever is a 39.

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i need to see what guys have done to hook there clutch pedal to this lever. becuase i am going with the F1 pedal assembly. anyone use this setup?

20. grander

grander

Subscribed

Very cool build

21. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep looking at the Model A wishbone under the trans and it looks like there would be plenty of room to build something to hold it in place. Is there room to do that? I'm not wanting to go split wishbones and was planning on using 34's but it looks like there might be room to use the stock model A wishbone. ???

22. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

There is plenty of room to use the stock a wishbone . But you cannot get it high enough to get the right alignment on the axle. It leans the king pins back too far. So if you pie cut the wish bones and bend them a few degrees it can be done

23. olskool34

olskool34

I am using the f-1 pedals also and bought a clutch pedal shaft from a 1940 ford, worked prefect with the f-1 linkage.

24. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I would love to see photos of this

25. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

26. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Good work! I will be following.

27. olskool34

olskool34

I'll take some today when I get home from work.

28. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:) :)What would happen if you turn the wish bones upside down? :D:eek:

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

You're back to the reason Ford flipped them in the first place (circa mid-teens, on the "T"), they risk folding over.

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Well,
    I haven't made any progress really... Been working on this old Chevy truck I drug home.. Just a coupe years too new for the hamb though.. Anyways I've been helping a friend out with his model a sedan . He is doing a flat head swap also... So I sent him some stuff that otta make his life a heck of alot easier.. I'm getting ready to order a radiator and put the fenders and stuff back on. My problem is this: I cannot run a fan with the supercharger setup... I looked at all the McCullough pictures there is and I cannot find how they run a fan on an early flathead like mine . The snout on the charger is too high up.. And this is where they designed the fan to bolt on to... I'm ordering a custom aluminum rad that will be coated black... This company claims I don't need a fan.. This ain't my first rodeo so I'm not sure how much I believe that. And electric fans are not coming anywhere near my car.... What to do, what to do