Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical homemade 2-piece aluminum head for Ply flat 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 27troadster, Mar 19, 2013.

1. 27troadster

27troadster

I'm currently milling out a 2 piece, dual spark plug aluminum head for my Plymouth flat 6 that's in my '27 T.

Eventualy it will be getting 4 Ball & Ball carbs modified for blow through, a homemade roller cam and fed by a VR57 Paxton supercharger, the type that came on '57 T-birds.

But for now, just the head. Pictured is the bottom half with the combustion chambers milled out.

Would anyone be interested in a "build" thread on it?

DSC05316.jpg

Kipp

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    nexxussian likes this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

3. Well I sure wouldn't. :D:D

Sorry i just wanted to say that. Keep us posted I am subscribed to this thread.

You are grinding your own cam???

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'd like to see this happening.

5. Weasel

Weasel

6. Subscribed... could be interesting if it all comes together. The bright side, the $$ on scrap aluminum is up there. :D

Bob

7. Ole don

Ole don

Real old fashioned hot rodding at its best.

8. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I'm subscribed. I wouldn't/couldn't do this myself but would like to see it done.

9. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Keep it coming, looks like you are off to a good start.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would be very interested. Thought of the same idea years ago but everyone said it couldn't be done, you would get too much warpage, couldn't seal it etc. Since I am no machinist I couldn't prove otherwise. If you can make it work, this may be a great breakthrough in making heads for flathead engines that have no speed parts available.

You don't need that many carbs with a supercharger. The supercharger itself makes up the air flow. Roughly speaking, a carb that flows 200 CFM will flow 300 under 7 pounds boost. The hard part is getting enough fuel into the carb against the pressure of the supercharger.

Fuel injection might be easier than a carburetor. They use fuel injection on turbo and supercharged cars with quite high boost.

Are you relocating the spark plug to directly above the center of the piston? Looks like it in the photo. You might want to rethink this as it could cause severe detonation in the valve chamber.

I take it you are going to flip the slab over and machine water passages in the other side? Then make a second layer with water passages on the bottom and fins on top and bolt them together?

By the way it's a flathead six. Flat sixes came in Corvairs, Subarus Porsches and Tuckers. Plymouths came with flathead sixes.

Later.....

Took another look at the pic and see plug holes peeking out in the valve chamber? So does this mean it is a dual plug head?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  11. cakes

cakes

Kipp, keep it going!!

12. very interesting.keep it coming.

13. Definitely interested to see what you come up with.

14. JEM

JEM

You definitely don't need that many carbs for airflow, and in a blow-thru configuration more plumbing means more leakage.

But...the big bugbear of all carbed blower installations, particularly on inlines, is mixture distribution. I'd think, given the firing order and the cylinder pairing, three carbs would be the right setup...

Modern EFI makes many things easier in a configuration like this, but it sounds like he wants to be somewhat at least 'period'.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to follow this one. Especially since six cylinder aluminum heads seem to be made out of unobtaineum lately.

16. jreeder41

jreeder41

Very cool....often thought about this for a Packard 8 I have sitting around

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If this works it should be possible to write a program to produce any type of head.

18. what are you going to use for a dizzy?
    tk

19. Alfster

Alfster

Looking good so far. I like it when people get creative like this. Will follow this with interest.

20. yes it is a dual spark.

and are you just stating semantics? flathead six? flat sixes? arnt these the same? isnt it just was the manufacture called them? or is there some significant difference i dont know about?

21. DBRoadster

DBRoadster

Subscribed! Defiantly interested to see this one pan out hopefully.

22. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Very cool to see some one-off work.
    You going to 0-ring it or just hope it's flat?
    TP

23. servi53

servi53

very cool and creative, keep at it I want to see where this goes

24. GTOMUSTANG

GTOMUSTANG
    from ct

Bryce, since ya asked....a flat six, or pancake six, or boxer engine, has the cylinders moving horizontally, with a crank in the middle. so, from the front, its 3 on the left moving to the right to reach BDC, and three on the right moving to the left to reach their BDC.

They look like they may be boxing with each other, hence the term boxer tho that's usually Ferrari and the Germans using that term. guess they're more violent than we are :eek: lol

25. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Agreed!

26. Thanks for answering. that helps quite a bit.

27. very impressive, nice to see the initiative...so many people just buy stuff off the shelf today....

as we all know, "anyone can build a chevy"

28. rustyzman

rustyzman
    from midwest

Most assuredly interested in watching this. I would like to see how this head works out.

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A "flathead" engine has a flat head. Like, a flat slab of metal with no valves in it. AKA sidevalve or L head. Not an OHV (overhead valve) or F head. Also, not a 2 stroke.

A "flat" engine is a slang term for cylinder banks at 180 degrees. AKA boxer motor or horizontally opposed engine.

Could be a "flat twin" like BMW motorcycle, "flat 4" like VW beetle, Porsche 356, Honda Gold Wing, Subaru . Could be a "flat 6" Corvair, Porsche 911, Subaru, Lycoming aircraft, Honda Valkyrie.

It is not semantics, they are not the same, they are two totally different designs of engines.

I don't know why, but no one ever makes this mistake with a Ford. They never call a V type Ford a "flat" motor, or an OHV Ford a "flat" motor, or even a flathead Ford a "flat" motor. Always Plymouth, Dodge or Chrysler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat-four_engine

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013