Register now to get rid of these ads!

electric da

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54rat210, Mar 19, 2013.

1. 54rat210

54rat210

I'm limited in room in my garage. Don't have space for a compressor. Can anyone recommend a good electric DA?

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

There is none. Random orbital seems like it can almost be the same but it aint the same. A real DA will do what an orbital will do in 1/10th the time. I barked up this tree once.

3. Torx41

Torx41
    from Yukon,OK.

Dewalt makes fine DA, has a dust bag, availabe at Lowes.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a little Ryobi that I have had for years that has really worked good for me. I actually got it as a reconditioned tool off one of those tool truck sales things that show up in town every once in a while.

5. 54rat210

54rat210

Electric?

6. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The new 3M system for paint uses an electric DA, but it is sort of pricey. Around 300 if I remember correctly.

7. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

wow. i've been recently wondering about this, too. i'm working out of a tiny, 1960's era 1 car garage. if i had a compressor in it, i wouldn't be able to move around at all.

8. 54rat210

54rat210

U know the model number?

9. 54rat210

54rat210

$300 for that Il just by a compressor and figure something out!

10. Fenders

Fenders

Ryobi makes great electric tools, I have a couple, but get a vertical compressor you will find a lot of uses for it.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. 54rat210

54rat210

What would be a good small size compressor to get? Any suggestions?

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

If you decide to go with a compressor, stay away from the oil-less ones. 'Loud' takes on a whole new meaning with those things.

14. My 80 gallon vertical takes up just a little bit more floor space than a pancake.

15. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

16. I bought a sears Craftsman electric. Bought another new one when the pad came apart after about a milloin hours use.....then I used black RTV to reglue the pad back together on the first one and I still use it. Around 40 bux.

17. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

There is no such thing as a good small compressor. Get the largest one (CFM rating @ 90 psi, not tank size) that you can afford and fit in your space. You will thank yourself later.

18. todd1955

todd1955
    from sweet home

I've got two porter cable electric da's that are at least 15 years old and are better in my opinion than air

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya gotta get a big one to run air tools...lots of cfm and a big tank. And a good system for removing moisture too. The air lines have to be long enough to cool the air substantially before it gets to the dryer, or it won't remove enough water. I've used a big coil of copper line in the past...leave it coiled like a big spring, hanging from the ceiling. It's compact but has enough area to cool well...then onto the dryer.

Sometimes, a good option is to build a small addition onto the garage...just big enough to house the compressor, and an access door or a removable top for access from outside. Quieter in the garage too.

Sometimes you can find great deals on old compressors...big old ones that were built to last forever.

20. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I've got the porter cable DA and I love it,
    use it way more than the air.
    Don't have to worry about water or oil shooting out of the fittings.
    There's not much difference in useage that I could tell.
    TP

21. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Wait so what you guys are calling an electric DA, are these just orbitals? Or can you lock them into a spin like an air DA?

22. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I have the dewalt mentioned earlier. Don't notice a lot of difference between it and an air DA sander, and not terribly expensive (for a Dewalt, anyway).

23. This DA is killer. It's very powerful and is nice for the garage.....doesn't kill the compressor. Check out www.3mcollision.com for more information

24. scrape53

scrape53
    from iowa

have used a cheap electric over the past couple years...found the secret to get it to cut cut good was running it through a reostat to control the speed

25. i'm dealing w same issue sorta. i have a air compressor 25 gal is no balls for a sander so i'm gonna get a electric going later on today. if i find something good i'll let you know. ive heard alot of people say porter cable but i'll see when i get there

26. I did my roadster with a B&D 5 inch 8 hole random orbit sander. Hooked up my shop vac to the dust bag port and it eliminates the clean up. 40 bucks and I'll never use a DA again.

27. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

Hell ya. thats what i used on my 54 and my paint job is perfect for a 400 dollars

28. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

I bought a new Porter Cable electric da and I love it. It's more bulky and heavier than an air da but does a fine job.

29. I just came from Lowe's the electric seems little to bulky I don't want to be a thread jacker but found a husky air da uses 2.2 cfm @ 90 psi anyone think that will work with my 25 gal craftsman professional compressor?

30. Porter Cable all the way. Made in the USA too!

JH