Register now to get rid of these ads!

tool question.... how come no one makes this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Mar 18, 2013.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

how come, after all these years, no one makes a tool to shorten bolts? We all have a ton of bolts that are too long, and we need them shorter.... but the only answer is a vice and a cutoff wheel. Seems like someone could make a small cut off wheel and a jig/clamp so you can cut that 1/4 20 cap head screw from 1.5" to 3/4" without having to break out the cutoff wheel.
    Just sayin!

2. Diavolo

Diavolo

Because who would pay $500 for a tool when they have a hacksaw and a die?

3. We've got a two-piece tool that works just fine: a small vise and a band saw.

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I have plenty of bolts that get cut that way. The tool I'd rather have is a stretcher! Or sometimes a fattener/slimmer. Like that can take a bolt and make it into a 3/8 instead of a half or vice versa...

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, I always run a regular nut up on the bolt, cut off the excess with a hacksaw, clean up the end on a grinding wheel, and then remove the nut so it cleans up the threads. All of a 5 minute operation.

Don

6. I must agree with Don, I've had the multi tool for years, Grinders are God my friend,

7. evobuilder

evobuilder

I must agree.... I would not pay 500 bucks for a tool that does this, but hey, if someone invented a slick tool to cut, shorten and stretch bolts and screws.... I am sure Harbor Freight would knock it off (sub par) and sell for 29.99 and if you have a coupon, it would be 6 bucks. Ohhh... dare to dream :)

Still seemed like a question worth asking.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  9. They dont build tools that people wont buy......

10. Hack saw or band saw works for me. HRP

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I'm a tool freak but lets not get crazy.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

Funny! The first power tool I ever had was a drill but the grinder was second

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It has crossed my mind to make a little holding dealy to use in the chop saw

15. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

Why aren't you buying the right size bolt from the get go?

16. Carter

Carter

I'll post a picture of my combination wire stripper/machine screw cutter because I'm at work, but I have a large scale version of these at home made for cutting bolts, up to 3/8" if I remember correctly.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

17. Carter

Carter

Found a picture.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

18. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

What I've always done - sometimes use a pair of boltcutters (seems logical to me) for expediency and have even run a die up there with the nut to do the best job after grinding and buffing. The actual tool for this process (bolt-shortening) that does the least damage and leaves a clean product is a lathe.

19. No offense but it sounds like you already have the tool, you can break that one our or a different one. No matter what the tool is called you still have to break it out.

20. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

buy a used lathe for $500. make your own bolts to any length you want.

21. problem solved. I probably only have to cut one a year. can't see it worth buying.

I have a nut splitter for rusty or stripped or cross threaded nuts. I needed it for one stinking nut 35 years ago and have only used it once since.
    same goes for my radiator fin combs and my fan balancing tool.

22. Ding

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

My grandpa gave me his 37 Ford when I was a kid and the nuts and bolts were badly rusted. I lusted after a nut splitter from JC Whitney. 40 years later Horrible Freight had'em for about $6 so I got one. The splitter was softer than the nuts. Of course by now I have better ways to get nuts off but its tough to destroy a childhood dream

24. mine was $8.00 in 1967 just a cheap USA made tool that will never wear out. not one of those high zoot imported jobs that only work once
    wow that was 46 years ago. time sure flies when you're having fun

25. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

That benchtop chopsaw seems like just what the OP was talking about a little vice with a cutoff wheel built in

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Get you some cuppling nuts and cut them to varring lengths run them down the bolt then wack them off.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yes, that's pretty good. I have a thin 4" cutoff wheel mounted on a small bench top motor. Does pretty much the same thing, just have to hold the bolt.

As far as buying the right size to begin with, if you've never been in the midst of a project or repair and needed to add/replace a bolt, didn't have the right size on hand and didn't feel like stopping work to go buy one someplace...

Also, often you need a 1-3/4" length, for example, and in stock are 1-1/2 and 2"

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've used my Milwaukie portaband for years to cut bolts, then just touch them up on the bench grinder.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me that's an extra three mile trip to the store and Sundays and eight mile trip to the store.

I've probably got 500 new small bolts in tubs in the shop but a lot of times I need three or four that are shorter and or longer than what I have. Not having to spend a half hour running after a hand full of bolts would make having something to cut them off worth the cost.

30. gutpile

gutpile
    from Texas

You need to get the electrical crimper pictured above, make sure it has the bolt cutters. These things are cheap hamb'bers. like $6. I had a neighbor come over last weekend looking for a 8/32 bolt for a carb on his lawn mower. I took a bolt out screwed it in the cutter to the proper length squeezed it unscrew it and bam the right lentgh and threads are good and it is cut square. No vise, no hack saw, no cut off wheels, and no cleaning up threads. I could gave him 10 bolts by the time I dug any power tool out.