Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do these look?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big vic, Mar 18, 2013.

1. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

Bought a set of these yesterday I think theyre cal custom but not sure,,,,, I like the way they look but wanted some input before drilling my nice valve covers,,, what I like about them is I ve never seen a set like this before i need breathers because since i mounted these valve covers i have had oil blowing out the oil fill tube,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

any comments will be apretiated

3. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

They look Nice, similar to mine. You did not indicate if you are running a down draft tube or PCV valve?

Attached Files:

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what type of valve covers did you have before? is that rectangular piece at upper side of valve cover a breather? I think I see a breather tube at front of intake manifold, correct? no rear breather tube? no PCV? going to reroute spark plug wires? VC on 65PANELRAT looks to be set up wrong. since it seems to have PCV on one side and a regular breather on top of opposite side with breathers on sides too - defeats the system have too many breathers and not enough.

5. Deloc

Deloc

I have a pair of Cal-Custom covers on a 350 SBC and the same issue with breathers, I don't want to add holes to them. I found adding a PCV valve system to the intake manifold along with the old style oil fill tube works.
    Deloc

6. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i had a set of m/t with a pcv since i mounted the edelbrocks i m having the problem,,, i read the threads about a pcv and plan on adding one ,, but thought some breathers would look kool also adding to the fresh air going in,, the rectangle at the top is the breather i just have it set on there for now seeing how it looks

7. I'm pretty sure that if they say Edelbrock that they are Edelbrock, not Cal Custom.

They do look good.

8. I think he's referring to the breathers...

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

look great...

10. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

yes i m talking about the breathers thanks for the feedback,, and yes i m gonna route the plug wires better

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you had a PCV before and now you have none, just mounting breathers on the valve covers will not solve your problem.

I think you should return the breathers, (I have always thought they look cheesy anyway) and hook up a proper PCV system to solve your problem.

12. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

do you think a pcv and the breather on the oil fill tube will be enough? in the pcv thread it shows how to mount one in the back of the manifold or at the carb base and i think i could do that no problem but didnt know if it would be enough fresh air coming in

13. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Those are sweet!!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

14. they look real nice, but the hei kinda kills the look..no offense, but be nice to swap that out at some point...

15. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2. I have had luck building a PCV system into the intake and getting away with not running any breathers in the valve covers. PM me if you have questions.

16. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i have a vintage distributer in the works but wont have it ready for awhile

17. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

pm sent

18. slammed

slammed

Big time YES!

19. chopo

chopo

they make your butt look big :)

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

With a proper PCV venting the crankcase the air being taken into the fill tube breather will be enough.

21. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

22. 54rat210

54rat210

23. nice to hear you have a distributor that will be ready soon, you engine is looking nice!

24. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

On what you got going there, they look fine... IMO im not a fan of the HEI, chrome alt and big air cleaner. But as I said on that ride they fit fine

25. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I put my Moon ones on the other side to have more space by the carb, but I still want a hidden PCV.
    [​IMG]

26. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

That's a great look, but don't you have problems with oil settling into them?

27. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

Fopelaez,, that looks great,,,