Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Rod Parking Brake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Screamingyellow68, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Screamingyellow68

Screamingyellow68
    from Michigan

I'm building a 32' ford Highboy roadster and our state requires a parking brake on assembled cars. Not to be confused with an emergency brake. I've checked my options and the easiest solution seems to be a line lock device on the rear brakes. They sell them at Speedway. Anyone ever try these? I have a auto trans so a parking brake is sort of silly. But I have to pass inspection any ideas would be great. Thanks

2. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Damn, around here, an emergency brake and parking brake are the same thing. Just depends on who is saying it. :rolleyes:

Morrisman likes this.
  3. Screamingyellow68

Screamingyellow68
    from Michigan

I would agree with you Crystal Blue but they tell me I don't have to have an E -brake only a parking brake .I'm going to give them what they ask for. Besides it makes my life easier .

4. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

5. I guess an emergency brake is a secondary braking system where a parking brake is a device to hold a car still after it is parked?

you know, back in the early days of the Model A Ford had to install "emergency" brakes on the cars to be able to sell them in some states. this secondary brake was not part of the original design, I think the thing was that it had to be seperate from the "service" brakes. this was just on the very first '28 cars. and later they were all built with this emergency brake. that is why the running board splash shields have a hump in them to clear the linkage.....so the story goes but who cares.

6. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

A solenoid line lock will release if the battery goes low.
    Automatic transmissions have been known to be knocked out of park when the car was bumped also.

7. Bureaucracy at the DMV is enough to drive a person crazy,,HRP

An emergency brake is a separate brake system in a vehicle for use in case of failure of the regular (hydraulic or air) brakes and commonly used as a parking brake in automobiles.

The parking brake, also called hand brake, emergency brake, or e-brake, is a latching brake usually used to keep the vehicle stationary

8. Mico makes all kinds of brake locks. Check with truck equipment dealers.

9. steves29

steves29

Park brake, emergency brake. Call it what you want. Separate meens of braking. If it will hold it parked thats what they want.

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A legal (logical) parking/emergency brake has to be mechanically activated, not hydraulic, in all 50 states, to the best of my knowledge. Line locks are strictly for racing purposes, not for street. Not sure why you think a park brake is not an E brake. :confused: The auto trans park feature works great when your not moving, but does nothing if you need additional braking while at speed.

It's not that difficult or expensive to run a proper cable system, just not the "easiest solution". :)

11. steves29

steves29

Yes it has to be separate mechanical device. I call it a parking brake. If you need it to stop THEN you do have an emergency!

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I used a Lokar mechanical parking. emergency brake.

William Maynard and reagen like this.
  13. steves29

steves29

What are you using for a rear axle snd brake setup?

14. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

I would think as long as you have a mechanical locking feature on your emergancy brake handle that maintains it in a locked position you would meet the requirements of an emergancy brake as well as a parking brake.

15. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I am using a Pinion Mount system from Wintec Fabrication. Speedway also has one.

16. Cerberus

Cerberus

I built a 1936 "special construction" car. The State of CA requires a parking brake to pass inspection. I used a Mustg II floor mounted parking brake handle with Lokar's twin cable system to the rear backing plates of a Ford 8". Very easy to install.

Attached Files:

17. An E brake stops the car, a parking locks the brakes. as long as your E brake locks you have a parking brake. I would fight this. if you are getting nowhere post up the written law and I bet we can get you ok

18. fleetside66

fleetside66

It's not a bad thing, esp. if you have a standard shift. Otherwise, you'd have to park with your car in gear & carry around wheel chocks for hill situations. Your '32 coasting down a hill with no driver is not something you'd want to picture. I realize that you have an automatic trans, but the idea of the transmission holding a car still on a hill never quite set well with me. Why not just rig up a standard system? Get an E-brake handle/mechanism from salvage yard, Ebay or a place like Lokar & plumb the thing appropriately. If a mechanical knucklehead like me can do it, anyone can. Do a search here & you'll get a clue of the general procedure...if you have specific questions, ask them & you will get several answers.

19. jazz1

jazz1

Did the same thing on my '41 truck using s10 rear,,likely a common "upgrade"

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Sounds like what you are looking for is the parking brake they sell for Sandrails.

You push on your footbrake, push the button down on the lock and then when you take your foot off the brake it keeps pressure on the ( rear ) brakes.

To release them you push down on the foot brake again.

Jam-pk1.jpg

21. papastoyss

papastoyss

I had a brake failure at 70mph on a 37 Ford once, sure was glad I took the time to install a mechanical emergency brake while building the car!

22. Service brakes and e-brake have to be applied seperatly in all 50 states. No line locks!!

23. Fenders

Fenders

First intelligent comment ... OP should have stated that in the first post.

24. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I can't imagine building a rod WITHOUT a proper emergency brake. :confused:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    Just Gary likes this.
  25. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

You may note that the term "emergency brake" has fallen from use with all manufacturers. Simple reason is that those lever/cable-actuated brakes really won't stop many modern cars in an emergency, and because of the possibility (or LIKELIHOOD) of a lawsuit from some dimbulb who fully expected that mechanism to stop his 3-Ton Lincoln Towncar, they are referred to solely as 'parking brakes'. The lever-actuated ones that have buttons for release are great, because it doesn't require much coordination to use them as an auxiliary method of stopping the car if necessary. Trying to use the foot-operated parking brake as an emergency brake is a lot more dicey. Most states do not recognize "Line-Loc" type mechanisms as meeting the requirement for an 'emergency' or 'parking' brake. Neither does NSRA for that matter.

26. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)These units have been used for 50-60 years, Fleet trucks /delivery used them. Most trucks are diesel now, have air brakes.:cool::D

27. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

;):eek:Here :D

Attached Files:

28. bgaro

bgaro

lokar cables to an opel hand brake worked for me. if your gonna use linelock put it up front the way god intended.

Jet96 and flt-blk like this.
  29. indyjps

indyjps

Take a wheel boot in with you during your inspection, if its good enough for the police to keep your vehicle in one spot, it should be good enough for the DMV

30. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's mine.
    Bolts to floor board, has button on top for release.
    Bottom of unit has arm to connect to both backing plate cables for a clean installation.

Attached Files: