Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loud pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I was in Texas last November and the Police never even looked my way. My Roadster is WAY loud.

Usually in my part of the country, the cops are bikers..... I think it's called the "Blind Eye"

2. Not all of us are 19.....

3. Truckedup

Truckedup

People who run open exhausts on slow low compression engines should be arrested.

4. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Semi's and public transit buses are louder and more obtrusive than my open headers, and they run uninhibited. But what I do dislike, are the wannabe bikers leaving the bars on the weekend, and driving through the quiet neighborhoods. Butt-punks.

5. mohead1

mohead1

I have a rumbling Harley (actually two) that are high compression, cammed up runners, plus the Coupe is muffled, but is pretty loud.....have you ever listened to a screaming Honda with 4" bullshit exhaust or a metric bike with straight pipes, or the local wannabe with the subwoofer that costs more than the car its in.....gimme a break....

6. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Loud Pipes save Lives!

7. One of my buddies worked nights and had a neighbor like that, he talked to the guy and nothing was resolved. After he aimed a few 4 ounce rockets to go off in the neighbor's yard at 3 AM, he got the message.

Bob

8. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'll go on record right now saying I like a good sounding car, or a good sounding Harley. Key word being 'good'. Loud and/or obnoxious is a different story, and subjective to boot. :eek:

9. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

I agree, slowmotion, I'll throw in the "Blappy" sounding stuff, sounds like someone shooting ducks! And the Fart Cannons!! I still want to score a Hon-Duh and take it out back, hook my old 4x to it and drag, roll it and use it for target practice!! To me those rice burning junkers are so un-cool!!

10. He's right. I work at a new car dealer, and those people cannot even identify their own car, and all they have to remember is model and year, I already know the make!!

Denver, CO. has a law that states you must have OEM exhaust on your motorcycle. It's because of all the loud Harleys and rice burners that we have these laws.

And I, for one, do not believe the "loud pipes" myth: I understand the Doppler Effect.

Cosmo

11. Weasel

Weasel

Define loud....:rolleyes:

12. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

The subjective quality of sound of great intensity, i know couldent help it;)

13. 53 sparky

53 sparky

My profession is as a sound engineer. The term "95db" is not enough information to provide an accurate statement about how loud something is. Sound pressure levels (SPL) are measured using several different scales similar to how we can measure temperature in Celsius, Fahrenheit, or Kelvin, or speed in MPH, KPH, or knots. Also, we perceive how loud something is relative to how close we are to it. If you stand 3 feet away from something, you will hear it as twice as loud as if you hear it 6 feet away, which is twice as loud as it would be if you are 12' away. This is called the "inverse square law".

Ask your friendly officer of the law to provide all of the measurements necessary to demonstrate in a scientific way that will hold up in court exactly how loud you were, and I expect you'll have different results.

Judge: how loud was he?
    Officer: uh.. I dunno. But he was REALLY loud!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

x2. Around here for every loud hot rod there are 100 straight pipe Evos. I'm hearing more and more quiet Harleys now though, maybe they are realizing that annoying everyone isn't really all that cool, or maybe ear damage is setting in.

15. Diavolo

Diavolo

No, they don't.

As a previous rider of the V-twin variety, I can honestly say that loud pipes didn't do shit for me, even when the exhaust was booming in their open window. Cage driving idiots are idiots and no noise is going to make them listen.

Drive offensively, but not offensively, and own your own safety. Many a time I have changed lanes, blown past or detoured to avoid a M/F idiot on the road with their cell phone in their hand texting to their BFF.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think you'd be better off driving "defensively" not offensively! After riding on two wheels for nearly 50 years, I never drive offensively.

17. I just watch out for everyone n am as loud as possible!

18. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

I have never had anything but open headers on my model and have NEVER had an issue. I pass cops everyday and never try to Quiet it down when passing them......the thing is most cops are not gonna screw with giving a hot rodder a ticket because they know for the most part we rarely cause any trouble.....atleast thats how it is here any way.....its why i love living in mississippi they really just dont care that much

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Did you ever expect to see people whining about loud cars on the Hamb? What a joke.

20. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

^^^^totally agree......what has happened to people

21. ilikeflatblack

ilikeflatblack
    from HASLET, TX

thats fine, my 32 plates match a city vehicle in houston. i get a ticket they get a ticket.

22. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

^haha same here. Im running 28' mississippi plates......no telling what theyll come back to.......and dont care.

23. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I think you hit it, the test will be whether they can hear their cell phone or not. I ride a Harley that's got a bit of a rumble but the crackle from a straight pipe still gets to me.

24. silversink

silversink

I bet your a ball of fun----just saying

25. fsae0607

fsae0607

Really? Maybe out your way in orange county? Never seen one here in LA county.

26. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

I dont know about the rest of yall but when some no-life loser neighbor complains about noise.......i tend to turn UP the noise a bit......Now if someone asks nicely to keep it down late at night, that i can respect but doing it just to be a prick....they just create thereself more of a problem.I have no problem tuning on my carbs at 2AM if needed

27. firingorder1

firingorder1

Remember folks, loud pipes means you have a gazillion HP under the hood and you are a badass dude. Just like you remember back when you were 12 years old.

28. And some speed stickers and bullet hole stickers makes you a super bad ass!

29. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

I think the Hot Rod hoodlums are getting old.

30. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

I saw an old 81er at the bike show in Vegas a few yrs. ago with a t shirt that said "THE LOUDER THE PIPES THE SHORTER THE DICK". just his opinion, but nobody was questioning him about it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.