Register now to get rid of these ads!

Loud pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just read starting April 1st in Dallas Tx., residents can call 311 on any car or vehicle they think is too loud. They must have plate number, make and location of vehicle. After a trial period they will see whether to expand or or stop the program. Our tax dollars at work I guess.

2. metal man

metal man

People really need to get a life. They're going to have a bunch of people reporting their neighbors Harleys. Those seem to be the biggest offenders.

3. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

The trick is to drive fast enough they cant get your plate number..

4. just overload the system and report everybody...especially a Prius

5. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

I don't know about where you guys live, but loud vehicles aren't all that big of a problem in my area. Maybe it's just my personal likes and dislikes, but I'd rather bitch about stuff like thumping stereos or people texting in traffic. I kinda like rumbling V8's but not so much loud-ass Harleys. I do agree on reporting Priuses, just because...

6. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

:D Clever...

7. Here in NZ we have six-monthly inspections. The Harley guys put baffles in their pipes for inspection, then remove them until the next one. It's a bit of a joke.

8. call in with any city vehicle that will get to them

9. Deuces

Deuces

How about the imports with fart cans????...

10. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Havent gone that far here, on my Harleys i just take the ticket on cars theres only two of mine that get that near it.
    As many stickers say, loud pipes save lifes:)

11. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

Overload the system. It's an opinion based reporting system... and my ears are really senstive around those tuners and rat rods...

12. Heck,here in the upstate of South Carolina the loud pipes laws have been on the books since the 60's,,I got a few tickets to prove it.

The police are not as bad as they use to be but they do still pass out invitations to see the new court house on occasions. :D HRP

13. Deuces

Deuces

Got one once when I had my Z/28....
    All I had on it was headers a Cherry Bomb header mufflers...:eek:

14. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

It's too bad the police want to rely on citizens to do their job for them. I do agree with them that loud pipes should be ticketed. They are ignored around here for the most part, I've never known anyone to get a loud pipe ticket. If the police would enforce the existing law the word would spread, just like it does about not having to worry about getting a loud pipe ticket. I like a nice rumbling V-8 as much as anybody, but open headers and unbaffled Harleys are juvenile and embarrassing to me when I with my non car friends. They ask me why anyone would drive something that sounds like it's broken or hurts your ears.

15. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Just out of curiosity, what do they define "loud" as, so someone can state that a particular vehicle is "too loud"? Sounds very subjective; a good lawyer would shred this one in court.

16. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Why have a loud Harley ??? I can't count the amount of times that I damn near got pulled out in front of. What stopped them was that THEY HEARD IT before they saw it...

17. I like it, get 50 other people to do it, just jot down any plate # and description of any random car parked along the street or in a parking lot.

Bob

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What will happen in the case of jake brakes? Small aircraft can get pretty loud, especially helicopters that the local County Sheriff uses in my area. I can understand this in some cases; small children have very sensitive hearing (hard to believe when you're trying to get their attention however), around medical facilities, schools, and what about the landscapers with their two and three at a time weed eaters going full bore. Someone's opening up a very large can of worms. Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. jmpowie

jmpowie

no one picked up on the start date? I would say its a joke on some old ladys (or old hamb guys) that have nothing better to do than listen to cars driving by.

20. Winner

21. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Up here during the summer months, there is plenty of Harleys running around that you can hear for a mile or more. Yet, one of the buddies gets pulled over in his hot rod and gets a ticket for loud exhaust. Should be fair and square across the board.

22. Damn, i thought everything in Texas was loud. Lol. Down here, we have a noise limit of 95 db. Thought my rod was loud, but the rice burnes are louder. Its all about how you drive i guess. A loud car can be drivin quietly.

23. I did notice the April 1 start date, says it goes to Oct 1ST. It was in the Sunday paper. Since its left to the publics opinion of what is too loud, just another dumb law.

24. How about the idiot neighbor that runs a weed wackier at 7:00 am on Saturday morning after a really fun Friday night ?
    Can you call him in ?

25. daddio211

daddio211

I'm wondering what actually transpires when a call is placed. You know damn well they're not going to dispatch an officer to investigate, so I'm betting that its a three strike rule.

In other words, three complaints and they mail you a summons to appear and have said offending vehicle tested with a dB meter?

Whatta y'all think?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

26. Muttley

Muttley

You really think most of the general public could actually identify 99% of the stuff on the road, let alone a highly modified Hot Rod? I used to work for AAA and I cant tell you the number of times I was dispatched to service a 4-door Mustang Z-28. There's no way the majority of the people could even describe half the stuff seen on the HAMB. Just another waste of time/energy/resources law.

27. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

The laws are getting strict here in California , there are quiet zones at railroad crossings, random check points for modified equipment on vehicles. Especially for exhaust systems( checking for mufflers). But of course nothing is said about landscapers at 6:30 am Saturday morning with their leaf blowers at full throttle.

28. Diavolo

Diavolo

I take matters in my own hands. My neighbor the next street over thought it was real cool to rev his stock car on the weekends. I sleep nights.

Drove over to his house, had a nice conversation. He now revs it on Friday when I don't have to work.

Neighbor across the street did the same thing with a Harley. Had a conversation, he pulled into my driveway and revved for a while. I came out with a shotgun. Never heard him again.

29. How can people not like loud pipes?

30. slammed

slammed

Loud EVO's are a joke. And like anything, a few idiots cranking up (what ever) over and over rides on peoples nerves. Think: What right does some costumed HD rider have in straight pipes, blasting the rest of us with their ego? Common sense on where and when is key. Some folks are 3rd shift. Some folks do not have to 'get it' to suffer fools. Use your head fellas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.