Register now to get rid of these ads!

F100 - How I covered my pickup box.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jan 19, 2012.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Since I started my engine swap thread, my project seems to have moved beyond just the engine stuff.
    There are some other ideas on this thread covering a seat replacement and rear box step.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366906&page=4

<O:pI wanted to enclose my pickup box with some sort of cover.<O:p></O:p>
    Figured it would last longer being protected from the weather, offer a little more secure storage space to store and did not want to spend a fortune doing it.<O:p></O:p>

I will admit that I saw this idea already made up on another pickup and just made some changes to suit my requirements and materials. <O:p></O:p>
    I wanted it to lift up like some of those new vehicle lids.<O:p></O:p>

I found a suitable frame material which was in a previous life an old fold out sofa/bed.
    <O:p</O:p
    I chose this since the material was (light for steel tubing) and had some nice factory made bends formed.

<O:pI laid it out flat and joined the base to the back portion and trimmed some of the metal away during this process to help reduce weight.
    <O:pDuring this process I ensured the overall sizes would fit inside my box area.

<O:pSince the tube was so thin any cuts and joins had to be sleeved before welding back.<O:p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

Any more pictures? I wanna see how this looks finished!

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Firstly, I installed side plates attaching them to the front stake pocket supports and running them back over the rear fender wells.
    These pickups come with very few attachment points in the box.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Once my side plates where made I could then go about using them as a base to build all the lifting and support stops etc required to get the lid to lift and sit down correctly.<o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

At the tailgate end I made from some light rectangular tube an end piece which would support my home made locking mechanism which is activated outside by a garage door key lock.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I used what I could find and this lock was not my 1st choice.<o:p></o:p>
    I also decided to install a slim line 3rd brake light into this end piece I was constructing since I had one given to me a couple of years back.<o:p></o:p>
    I believe it is from a Toyota and is LED.<o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I found me some old Ford spring loaded hood hinges that seemed to good for this project.
    The trick is to have hood hinges that lift and move away from the cab back to ensure no contact during the lifting up process.

I reinforced the hinge end of my frame and with a few little mod's attached the hinges.
    I made up some solid piece of plate which attched to my hinges and then I welded the plate in the correct position to my newly installed side plates.

By doing it this was it allowed me to get all my adjustments and rest position set up before committing to welding it in.
    I then just tack welded these hinges into position, remove the side plates and fully welded them on the flat off the vehicle.

Attached Files:

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

During my build, I decided that just maybe the spring loaded hood hinges alone were not going to be strong enough to lift the weight of this lid.
    So I decided to also include provision for some gas struts to assist the springs.
    As you will see as I post more progress that both were required.
    I also took this opportunity to install a couple of tie down points at my lid rest support positions in the box. I have always found a lack of tie down points a problem from time to time.

Attached Files:

7. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Cool idea. Lookin good. Hurry up and finish and take more pics!!!

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

A test lift proved that all was working well and I could proceed to installing the latch mechanism and attach the sheet cover.

Attached Files:

9. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Neat to see someone doing something similar....I am also building a hard top tonneau cover though mine will be using jack screws and will open from the passenger side...I'm actually getting ready to start building my framework right now...

Nice job!

10. Saxxon

Saxxon

Cool... got a spare sofa bed ??
    I'm looking for ideas for a cover on the Scout. THis has me thinking again. (Thanks)

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Here are a couple pic's of the 3rd stop light I installed in the back edge of the liftup lid and a side section pic of the rubber cushion edging (sorry about the quality of this pic) I am using to trim the edge of the cover sheet off and ensure the rain water does not get into the box any more.

Attached Files:

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

My buddy got me a big piece of this covering material.
    It is a composite consisting of a center layer of some kind of plastic with a outside layer of aluminum both sides.
    I came with a painted coating on it as well as plastic protective layers which needed to be removed during the install.
    I am not sure how durable this paint coat will be, but for now I'll just run with it.

I rounded the corners slightly for looks and to accommodate a smoother install of the rubber cushion edge strip.
    The cover that inspired me to do this project was screwed down to the metal frame, however I thought more holes equals more places to leak, so I have taken a chance on a construct mastic glue supposably suitable to gluing metal to metal even if painted.

I was instructed to clean the frame with an acetone solution (not thinners) and just use a tube gun and cover all the frame and then place the sheet and weight it evenly once in position and leave it 24 hours.

If I made any mistakes during this process, it would be that probably I used a little too much glue as you will see in the pic's and also maybe just over weighted it slightly, which as caused to a couple of high points thru the sheet.
    The high points appear to be caused by the deforming of the tube frame where the bends are formed.

Any way judge for yourself.
    I am pretty happy with the outcome and it will sure deliver me what I wanted, which was a weather proof box and extra secure storage space.

Attached Files:

13. huskersnb2

huskersnb2
    from nebraska

what are you going to use to cover the op vynil or makes a fibergalss cover

14. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

I made quick/cheap cover for our daily driver PU several years ago after I redid the bed wood.
    It sits outside so the daily dew/sun cycle takes its toll real quick.
    Go here for a look http://bobsplayce.net/tcover1a.html

15. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Nice! Mine is almost the same, I used 68 impala hood hinges and mini bearclaws on the rear. Iam going to revisit my design though soon because I have found that with all the flex my bed has in it the hinges have a tendancy to come out of adjustment. It doesnt take much flex to change things I have found. Also some dumbass who didnt know me tried to get in the back at a show and when confronted he slammed it down and bent some stuff up. I dont think you will have the flexing issues that I do for sure those ford fleetsides are stout!!

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nice to know about similar projects by yourself and others.
    If you vist my 1960 F100 engine swap thread you will see that I have boxed my chassis basically from the radiator all the way back to my rear axle and install IFS so I am anticipating little or no flex no that has been done.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366906&page=2

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  17. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Cool thread and truck! Hell even without boxing yours should be more stout than mine. Ford has always been good at making trucks trucks ya know!

18. olskool34

olskool34

Oh Dibond, I work with it every day. I am a sign maker and this material is used for a number of things in the sign business. Looks great so far.

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

My buddy tells me that is one of few sheet products that is wide enough to fit the style side box width.
    It seems OK to me, I am just curious about how well the painted external face will survive the elements.

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Looks good, I am also thinking actuators as an upgrade.
    My box is quite long and the further distance the end is away from the hinges, any extra weight has a big effect on the lifting effort required by the springs and gas struts I am using.

Just the extra weight at the end added by the 3rd brake light and the fixings plus the latch mechanisms etc was noticeable on the lifting effort required once installed.

21. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Any finished pictures of this?

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Here ya go!
    I am not sure what you are exactly looking for, anyways here are a couple of general shots.

I am also planning to install amber rear flashers, you can see the holes ready for the LED flashers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  25. husker

husker

26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've been making good use of it lately and that cover has been great, keeps the weather out and also roaming hands and eyes.

I am trying to keep the old patina and that cover is just starting to fade out nicely to match the rest of it.

I guess it was worth the effort...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nice looking cover, and great ingenuity! Really cool that it looks so good, and you built it on a budget!