Register now to get rid of these ads!

Illinois title question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iaff284, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iaff284

iaff284

I have read several discussions on how difficult it is to title a home built rod in IL. I kind of understand the bonding process and the transfer tax issue. Here is my scenario and hope someone who has been through the process can offer some advice. I have a mid 20's original ford body that has been hacked on prior to my ownership, an engine and trans out of a late 60's mustang, a bare home built frame and axles that I have purchased from salvage yards. There are no numbers on the body or frame anywhere... I recieved the body, frame, engine, and trans from my father in law when his father passed away. I have access to two missouri titles one for a 27 t bucket and the other for a 25 t bucket with a new vin tag. The guy is asking 500.00 for either of the titles. What is my best course of action for obtaining a title for this vehicle. The car is still in pieces at this point and I am just getting ready to start the process of building. Some people have suggested that it will be cheaper on the transfer tax or bond to apply before the car is together....any help is appreciated!!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Your most certain path to a title is going through the Illinois Secretary of State's Motor Vehicle Department.......contact them and they will send a packet with materials decscribing the process and some of the forms you will need.

In Illinois, in particular, any other approach is likely to cost you more money and additional grief.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. nfleone

nfleone

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

How much do you think the car is worth?

5. iaff284

iaff284

Thanks for the link, Nick! Russco, I would guess 500 for the frame, body, and axles. and 250 for the engine and trans

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It might cost more than that to get a legit Illinois title before its all said and done ( Just something to keep in mind)

7. amalgamated

amalgamated

to bond the car you will have to have the car appraised then bonded for 1 1/2 times this value send this to the bond title dept. if approved they will send it to s.s.dept fill out a sr 44 tax form and pay 6.5% tax on all items bought out of state that no illinois tax was payed on give a written statement on how you build and where you got major parts (eng,trans,axle,frame)with bill of sale's for all of this.have 4 photo's of the car (all 4 sides) must start and move under it's own power and have all saftey and lighting that is on there list that they send you when you ask for the info on titleing home built car. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. iaff284

iaff284

thanks for the info amalgamated....so how is the gift treated....should I make a bill of sale from my father in law?

9. amalgamated

amalgamated

my eng and rear axle was out of a junk yard so i had a receipt my trans came from my brother he made me a bill of sale he had a notory stamp it when he signed it the state loves sh?t whith that stamp on it

10. Fenders

Fenders

Some of those old notary stamps are cool and collectible, look nice on a shelf, you can find them at flea markets fairly cheap.
    Just sayin' ....

11. johnboy13

johnboy13

As has been said, you will need receipts/bills of sale for all major parts, motor, trans, body, frame, and axles, or if home built, receipts for the material that it was made from. You will be assigned a new VIN and a special construction title. They will not bond pieces of a car. The car must be assemble and running in order to be bonded. You might be better off selling the parts and finding something with a title. Good luck.

12. jocool1585

jocool1585
    from Illinois

Does anyone have a scanned or pdf version of the bonded title application? I've requested one from Springfield, but it seems to be taking a bit to arrive...

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I work for the SOS, I could run in and see if I can get one and mail it to you if you want. How long have you been waiting?

14. And they're old. Illinois re-issues Notary Certificates every few years, along with a NEW stamp. And it's different than the OLD stamp, which are hugely noticeable.

But, hey, only in Illinois would you have a chance to get a room with our governor. In prison.

Just Sayin'

Cosmo

P.S. Yes, the titling sucks. Basically, I do not buy anything I want to keep without a title. Illinois, AFAIK, does not take registrations, such as from NY, AL, etc.

15. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

look iwent throug the same crap when i lived in illinois if u apply for new title or what ever they send state police or secratary of state police out to inspect the car and they are difficult they will make it difficult and u will be jumping throug hoops because they are so broke they will try and take as much money from u as they can so i just bought a title took it in to the DMV said i just bought it wanted to license and title it and boom done temp plate in my hand got the plates and title in my name a month or so later. I got sick of illiniois crap and moved to iowa i lived right olong the border it was easy for me but iowa prints u a title on the spot when u buy a car and are transfering the title hope this helps

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

So, when someone steals your car, how do you prove it is yours when the numbers on the title you are holding does not match anything on the car?
    And, when you want to sell it, how does the new owner prove he bought the car you sold him with no numbers that match? There are reasons this stuff is getting harder, most of it has to do with proof of ownership, which you do not have. Gene

17. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

well i dont think they are lifting the body off to check the vin# i was just explaining what i have done and a cheap way to do it i understand what u mean if someone steals it but do u have any better ideas?

18. ...go to your local DOT office, they should have em.

19. If you are stopped, and there is NOT an easily viewed VIN, as per the law, the police will impound the car until they DO find the VIN.

They keep it if it doesn't match your papers.

Theyll probably keep it anyway, because the VIN location (hence, the VIN) has been altered, which is a felony.

Now, do you have a WORSE idea??

Cosmo

20. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

They do, but they usually want to inspect and or varify the VIN. For a while they were verifying the VIN on ALL cars built prior to 48 or 49 when you transfered title/ownership, but I think they have backed off of that as of late.

21. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

Alright cosmo you are evidently the Genuis on this fourm i asked what your ideas were on it but instead of helping you just want to run your mouth. My idea was what has worked for me in the past and when i got pulled over they never looked for my vin and ive never seen a vin on a cowl or a windshild of a 20's car like there is on modern cars, McFly so why dont you try being helpfull insted of trying to be superior!

22. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

I'm not bashing anyone on here, but I do agree with Roadster Jones. Early cars and truck such as the model T and model A had an "engine" number stamped onto the title. Not a VIN number. That number corresponds to the ORIGINAL engine only. Yes, there is that same number stamped into the chassis (under the body, at least on Model A) if you can still read it. Most times you can't. So does that make that car illegal to own if you don't have the original engine and can't read any number on the chassis?
    If so, then I suspect there's a lot people with illegal cars.

iaff284- why can't you just find a good original title for the general year of your body parts that you have and transfer it? The DMV don't care if you're gonna restore it to original or custom. After you have a good title in hand, then build what you like. Or won't that work in Illinois?

23. YOU advocated committing a felony.

Tell us how THAT is helpful??

Cosmo

24. jesse1980

jesse1980

Just go with the title and tag. It's easier, believe me.

25. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Model A's had a number stamped on the frame rail too. For a long time you could probably do it like that. In Illinois now that usually wont fly. Like I stated before, for a while they were Verifying the VIN numbers on ALL pre 49 cars that were getting titles you had to bring the car to them and there had better be a number that matched your paperwork on that car or there would be problems. Now they have backed off a bit. but can and will still do that. You out of state guys underestimate the Illinois bureacracy.

26. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

all cosmo can do is still run his mouth to me he cant give any ideas just talk smack, what you dont have any insight except whats a bad idea.

27. sscargo

sscargo
    from La Grange

It is not too hard but it can be frustrating. I'm just finishing on getting a constructed vehicle title. The SOS will sent an information package. Once you read through the info you can call and ask questions. They were prompt and helpful to me. The bonded vehicle is a different package that you will have to ask for separately.

You will need for the Engine, transmission, body, and chassis,"A bill of sale signed by the seller is required for the engine. It must include the year, make, vehicle,identification number and/or serial number and purchase date." and with both the seller an purchaser name.

The vehicle will need to be finished before you can get the title, but I recommend getting the above receipts now. You don't want to ask the guy you bought the engine from for the information two years later. Thankfully he was very helpful.

Mat

28. jesse1980

jesse1980

I've been pulled over TONS of times in a hot rod, NEVER once have they checked the damn vin numbers, plus If you go through the DMV the vin will match the registration that you installed. You won't get in frickin trouble. Just put the damn tag on right with the right spot welds or rivets and be on your way. You guys act like its a big damn deal. And if your car gets stolen, HAVE INSURANCE!!! Yeah it's a felony if you do it right in front of a damn cop! The guy asked for advice, we are all entitled to give our opinion here in the USA!

29. Roadster jones

Roadster jones

Russco i dont underestimate Illinois just because i live in Iowa now does not mean i dont have a clue my pre 49 never had to go for inspection, some of my good buddys from high school are police officers now and state police and the told me they have better things to do with their time than worry about old cars on the road

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.