Register now to get rid of these ads!

Yom plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ironclad, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Ironclad

Ironclad
    from Covina

So I got a mint pair of 1941 California plates and the DMV is giving me the run around saying I can't assign them to my 41 because they are registered to the previous owner who I just can't seem to locate! Anyone have any ideas where I can get around this!

2. Ironclad

Ironclad
    from Covina

I'd like to stick them on now!!!

Attached Files:

3. Weasel

Weasel

Unfortunately the only people who deal with YOM plates are the Sacramento DMV. Everything gets channeled back to the division that deals with these. Have you asked them to contact the PO? Is the PO still alive? I have plates that are still registered to me that have not been in use for years. Ask them if they would contact the PO or give you his contact information (which they may decline to do) for a release - since he obviously is not using the plates as you have them....

apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.pdf

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there are some goofy rules regarding YOM plates that have already been registered to a car. for whatever reason you can't just transfer them to another car.

I believe I read somewhere that if a 1956 california plate (56 plates were used 56 - 62) was on say a 1960 car it had to be put on another 1960 car if it were to be reassigned.

you pay the big bucks getting them from the license plate vendors at a swap. but at least you have some possibility of a return if the don't work out.

5. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Ya, that's why the clear plates cost more . I think it's worth it to not go to DMV any more than absolutely necessary.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. GREASER815

GREASER815

I just stuck mine on an didn't mention it, never been bothered. May be different here though, the plates are not actually registered to the car, just displayed. In Illinois as long as you have current up to date antique vehicle plates you may display any YOM plate you desire, doesn't even have to be Ill. plates, could be any state you choose.

7. Ironclad

Ironclad
    from Covina

Well update, I found the prior owner, just moved to San bernardino from Washington! 45 miles away!!! Internet can do wonders! Well I hope he doesn't shoo me away when I show up at his door step asking him to sign a DMV paper to release the plates! Lol...

8. showing up at someones door is pretty brave..

Sounds old school but mail a letter with your contact info and situation. Ask him to give you a call.
    just saying-
    ak

9. no55mad

no55mad

If you go to the CA DMV website and search YOM plates, I believe there is a form there for the registered owner of the plates to release liability.

10. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

THE CA DMV website has a page where you can type in the plate numbers and check to see if they are "clean" before you purchase them......It's so simple

Same way you can go to AAA and see if a VIN # is already in use.

my .02

11. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

I showed up to this lady's house few weeks ago and I asked her if she can go with me to get a copy of a title of a 57 Chevy I just sold..title was dated 3/22/81...lucky for me she said yes...passing you the good luck charm:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope you bought her lunch or gave her a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant.

I can wanting yom plates on a totally restored to showroom stock vehicle but can't figure why a guy wants 1930 plates on a Model A that is built period correct for 1954 in 2013. 54 Plates would be more appropriate.

13. Ironclad

Ironclad
    from Covina

Yea, I've been to the DMV twice, I checked the plates they AAA before I purchased and I was told they were clear until I I tried assigning the plates to my 41!

14. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

I put YOMs on my '62 Nova and the computer refused to match the VIN of my car to the plate but the DMV guy just overrode it and gave me the plates out of frustration. I sold the car to a cop and he had fits registering the plate with the car.

15. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Wrong. You can not clear plate online. I wish you could. They need to enter several different codes to check in multiple databases to see. That can only be done by a clerk. Any online check will only give you a false sense of security.

16. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

In California the plates need to match the year of the car "Year Of Manufacture".

17. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Yes, sort of. The plates do need to match the year of the car, but the plate can have a different number, such as "56", and a sticker stating 1962. That is a situation unique to these years as far as I know. I think, but am not positive, that 1962 is the cutoff year for this rule.

18. Fenders

Fenders

In Massachusetts you can (apparently) check YOM plates.....
    https://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/RegInquiry/intro.aspx
    Use plate type code PAY
    But if you buy from a plate dealer they usually guarantee the plate is clear.

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No such thing as "DMV clear". When you check with DMV they will verify that the number is not CURRENTLY in use. However it may be assigned prior to when you show up at the DMV to register your YOM plates. So if you have a set with numbers not currently assigned don't delay in getting them registered in your name to your ride. I bought a flathead radiator from a guy with a shoebox woodie and he had the original plates from the car but the number sequence was in current use on a p/u if I remember correctly. The same number sequences were issued for different years so if you have a sequence for say a 1940 plate it may be already assigned to someone with another year YOM plate. FWIW.

20. Weasel

Weasel

^^^Came across the same problem but I was on the good end of it. Saw a set of 1931 plates for sale with the same number I have registered to my 1933. Spoke with the seller - license plate dealer - and he said they were clear. I said 'that's funny - that number is registered to my 1933' and he said they came up clear when he checked on the web. I suggested he try again to actually register them to a car because he would not be able to do so....

21. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

For me it was the opposite, someone sent me a letter along with the DMV form for some plates that were registered to me. The letter said what he was trying to do and could I sign the release form. No problem, they even included the Self addressed stamped envelope.

22. Ironclad

Ironclad
    from Covina

Thanks, I might just do that instead, I wouldn't want to intrude on their privacy!

23. Ironclad

Ironclad
    from Covina

Finally, plates registered as of today!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!