Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

This car was a local Dearborn car a few years back.The seller states a clone and the door tag tells me not a Cyclone. Your right Roy,the trim is wrong too.
    It had a white interior and a 289 when it lived here. It is clean and gotta be pretty quick.But just not worth that kind of coin.
    Myron_

Attached Files:

2. 1BADFE

1BADFE

What do you think the car was worth when it was in Dearborn? Then the cost to do the work that was done to it? I got to think it would somewhat approach the asking price..... Not saying it's worth that....

3. 65COMET

65COMET

The fact that they have $45,000 in receipts is not,to me anyway,a big selling fact!!Yes,you could probably not build it for that,but 64/65 Comets do not sell for that kind of money,especially a Clone/Tribute type car!!It is a very nice looking Comet,too bad they didn't research the build a little more!! JMO , ROY.

4. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Clear Spot;
    Let's Clear this up I know the car! I remember standing by that Comet in Ohio on Labor Day Ford Meet in 1987, Mike Ebertt walked up to look at that car and Bob the owner said to Mike! How do you like my Cyclone? Then Mike said "where is it at" Bob says right here, Mike came back with "That's not a Cyclone it's a Caliente" at that point I got out of there I couldn't keep from laughing. I knew what it was. Bob just wanted a Black Cyclone w/white interior like he had when he got Married. That the story about the 65 Cyclone Clone. He wasn't trying to trick anybody like the Car Con Guys of Today. --AFX DAVE--

5. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

this is interesting Jeff Essick's '65 Comet Caliente barn find.

Talking to local racers led Jeff Essick to this '65 Mercury Comet Cyclone racer dubbed ScatCat No. 2. The 289ci and Top Loader-equipped Comet ran C/Gas during the '70s and was raced by the Cox brothers mostly at Farmington Dragway in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He doesn't have much on the history, but other than the loss of the driveline, the Comet appears to have been left as it was. Over the years, its body, paint, and interior survived amazingly well, despite the obvious lack of concern evident by the junk stacked atop it in the barn. Jeff's plan to restore it to its as-raced condition will mostly center on getting the drivetrain correct. Jeff had to ask about the name, and he learned there was a ScatCat No. 1, allegedly an ultrarare, 1-of-50, factory lightweight '64 Comet. Ever had that missed-it-by-that-much feeling? That was Jeff. Unfortunately, the '64 has yet to resurface, but Jeff is happy with the '65 and plans on keeping his nose to the ground in hopes of eventually parking both cars in his garage. --Christopher Campbell

• [​IMG]Love the lace. We're still waiting for this to come back into style.

• [​IMG]We can't believe how well the paint, lettering, and decals survived. Don't worry, Jeff isn

• [​IMG]Even though it apparently served duty as a shelf after retirement, the roof over its head

6. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Dave,I'm glad they're up front that it's not authentic.Alot of work has been done to it.Bob did a good job recreating his old Cyclone.Like Roy say's "It's your car,do what you want with it"!
    I wish I knew what he got for it when it left Dearborn.Regardless,someone will at least get 44K for it.
    Myron_

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy linked me to a website that has some terrific pictures from us all at The March Meet:

vcrides.com
    Wheelie??? C'mon...

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;there IS air under the drivers side front wheel in IMG 1470!! Looks like you may need some limiting straps on the front,looks like A LOT of separation going on!! ROY.

9. Muttley

Muttley

That is number one on the must purchase list when I hit the lottery.

10. Muttley

Muttley

Got a little crazy with the drill and some hole saws the other day:

[​IMG]

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Muttley;you do awesome work with a hole saw!!! Everything seems to line up and be symmetrical !!! You are a SICK MAN!!! LOOKS GOOD,can you tell any difference in weight? ROY.

12. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Yes,as if he used a template! Looks good..... I hope ear plugs were used!

13. Big Dad

Big Dad

14. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I agree it looks good,measured out, kinda like a game board, ping pong and tennis balls instead of marbles. How long did it take you Muttley? You really have patience, also have you done anymore of your car like that?......Al

Big Dad I like the windows on your car, great choice with color and wheels!

15. 65COMET

65COMET

That 64 sedan is very KOOL,have not seen it in a LONG time!!! ROY.

16. Muttley

Muttley

Thanks Roy. I wouldnt say awesome though, there are a couple spots that got a little chewed up when the hole saw slipped but my car is pertty rough around the edges to begin with. Whos ever going to see it anyway unless I go and post a picture of it on the internet?......................Oh, wait a minute. ;) :D I wasnt able to weigh it before I started but I saved the slugs and if felt like four or five pounds when I was finished.

No, I did wear saftey glasses though.

The hardest part was figuring out where to start. After I cut few holes I started using the slugs to lay out the pattern. I did it over the span of a week or so, it took about eight hours. Obviously you have never met me in person, I have no patience at all. ;) :D The only other part I've do so far is the gravel shield:

[​IMG]

17. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Muttley

Weigh 1 slug. Multiply by number of holes. Add 10% for filings. That should give you a ballpark idea of how much weight you removed. You give me motivation to do that to my heavy steel doors.....Mike

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Muttley;was hoping you would show up at the March Meet!!! Hard to tell you don't have patience after seeing your work!!! ROY.

19. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;did you look at my doors when you were at last years CHRR?I cut everything out not needed to support the door and door panel,plenty of hole saw work along the bottoms and both ends,,that and the fixed in place LEXAN windows saved a lot of weight!!Crites fiberglass doors were not available yet,plus at around $700 for a pair,I figured I'd lighten an old set I had,only cost was paint and LEXAN!!!!! ROY.

20. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Roy, didn't I once see a picture of under your hood and you had drilled holes in your hood hinges...among other things? Could you post that picture again? Thanks!

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;I believe it was posted on here in the pictures from my May 2011 Car Craft feature.I lost all my photos when my computer crashed so I need to scan a load of photos and I suck at computer work!! ROY.

22. Muttley

Muttley

I wish I had a working scale but I dont. I even asked to borrow my neighbors but they didnt have one either. I guess no one on my block is concerned with weighing themselves. ;) :D Me motivating someone?!?! Thats a first. The doors are indeed heavy, I wish I had thought to eliminate the guts and use a strap to roll the windows up and down before I had the holes punched for the regulators in my new door panels. It was also a nightmare finding a new regulator (my old one was stripped and the crank handle wouldnt stay on) but Roy hooked me up with a spare (I havent forgotten about you Roy, someday I'll find something cool to send you ;)). I could have killed two birds with one stone. Maybe someday I'll have another set of panels made and take the guts out.

Would have liked to go but I'm still flat broke. I'm also dealing with the aftermath of another car accident (happened last October, not sure if I said anything here or not) and my neck is basically shot..................how else could I justify taking a week to drill a few holes in my decklid? The neurologist says I have a "monster herniation" and says if therapy doesnt work he will be recommending disc replacement surgery. :eek: :eek:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  23. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

It has been for sale down in my area for awhile now, about 9K. Its a pretty nice, dependable ride. IMO, about $1500.00 too high on the price, as it has a very unique drivetrain....

24. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Is this the same Comet?

Attached Files:

25. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Trick!!

Attached Files:

26. Big Dad

Big Dad

i just like them and when I see a cool pic, I add it

[​IMG]

27. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Big Dad
    That a nice looking Comet! Looks like a stright axle car, what size engine does it have in it? What area is it from? AFX DAVE

28. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Hi AFX Dave.....Kinda looks like the Rocket may be the next car in line?.....Al

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;looks like a MOPAR,plus The Rocket has not been East,YET!! ROY.

30. redracer64

redracer64

Yes it is powered by mopar. I can't remember the displacement but I saw this comet at a cruise night show in Montana last summer.