Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 inline 6 235..Popping,Sputtering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppymotor, Mar 14, 2013.

1. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

I believe both valves are closed now..the arms have movment springs are all the way up..and I see some sort of markings on the Fly..

2. Honestly I can't remember what the mark looks like. It might be degreed, it might be just a line. I know some of them had a ball bearing embedded in the flywheel.

3. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

looks loke a small circle on the fly..after the letters TDC..The arrow is directly on that Circle..

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may be missing some of what we're saying. You may have to often right click a blank spot on the page, to make a drop down menu appear and then left click on "refresh" to view all our latest responses.

5. Hmmm...sounds like you're right on it. Where is the dizzy rotor pointing?

6. looks like you got it
    where is the rotor pointing at now?

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're there. Line up the round mark to the center of the sight hole. Good enough. The piston is at tdc. Now look to see where the tip of the rotor is pointing. It should be pointing straight at the #1 lug on the distributor.

8. wibble_1979

wibble_1979

I have read through most of this and all of yesterday I have seen nothing about verifying timing with dizzy vacuum pulled and plugged. After verifying timing vacuum line put back on dizzy verifying that the vacuum is pulled from a ported vacumm source. Otherwise you will verify timing is good but when you apply load to the engine your timing will not advance and you will get spark knock becouse your timing cannot advance past the mechanical advance that is built in to your dizzy. I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes her just my 2 cents worth I will go back quietley watch what happens good luck

9. Right now we're just trying to find TDC.

10. trying to make sure he has wires installed correctly for now

11. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Yes its pointing dead on the lug that I Have the #1 plug wire...

12. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I was tipping into that area, but the thread took off like a hurd of turtles. they are on the right path. Remember guys, once timming is set, rack ran , make sure he plugs both ports from carb and dizzy to set initial timing.

13. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

And go grab another condenser, try it. If it runs the same, throw it in the glove box as a spare. YOU WILL EVENTUALLY NEED IT along with a spare set of points.

14. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

PS..I just noticed..The little bracket that comes off the DIZZ..and attaches to the Vac advance has a little screw to hold the dizz to the vac advance bracket...it was loose..and the dizz had a little slack at that bracket..I tightened that up as well..that would have caused slack in the ability for the Vac to advance the Dizz...Correct..???

15. great advice! :)

16. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

The guy had what looks like new condencer and points when I got it..But I got new ones anyway..I could swap them out..to see if it changes..

17. Snarl

Snarl

to find tdc on #1 from scratch:

pull valve cover off and rotate engine until the intake valve on #1 cylinder closes.

after it closes, keep rotating until the small round ball lines up with the pointer in the bellhousing window.

At this point, the rotor should be pointing to #1 plug wire.

Put it all back together and fire it up and use the timing light to dial it in. Keep in mind that the rpms should be around 400-500 for a stock engine.
    Having the ball line up at 500 rpms is alot different than having it line up at 800 rpms.

18. I think on your engine the vacuum advance rotates the whole distributer. I'm not exactly sure what you're taking about but you need to make sure the vacuum advance can rotate the distributor.

19. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

when Im on this TDC #1..Should the points be Open Or Closed...??

20. Snarl

Snarl

the vac advance actually retards the timing when the engine is put under a load.

21. Snarl

Snarl

correct. It rotates the whole dizzy.

22. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Yes it rotates it..Im saying ..where the Dizz ataches to the Vac...IT is held by a nut /bolt..7/18...that's was loose..so you could rotate the Dizz a little bit without it moving the Vac...SO...That would mean there would be a delay or Slack as it were when the Vac is trying to move the Dizz...

23. I can't see what he's doing so I just want to make sure that he didn't tighten something down that would keep it from rotating.

24. Okay, you should be good then.

25. Maybe a call out on H.A.M.B. for someone who lives in your area, where ya at? Let's send up a post.

26. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

So..am I putting cap and plug back..then Fire Up...???...also..are the points supposed to be closed or open at this TDC...??

27. I gotta run guys. Keep helping Sloppy and I'll check back later and hopefully you'll have this thing running right.

Oh yeah, he's going to have to set the timing and adjust all the valves (after determining whether they are sollid or hydraulic lifters).

Also, I believe there was an issue with the idle mixture screw? So check out the carb.

28. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Quad City Iowa...

29. so you have it on tdc, and the wires are correct on the cap? meaning firing order
    then you should try to start it up again