Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 inline 6 235..Popping,Sputtering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppymotor, Mar 14, 2013.

1. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

I removed my valve cover and distributor cap..To set the Valve gaps and points..Ive never done this before..I took a shot..Now it runs like total crap...Popping,sputtering,and what seems to be misfiring... This happens when I head down the road..Sound great at idle..and rev it up in neutral... As soon as I head down the road..give it gas...Pop,Pop,Sputter,Sputter... Shifts fine ..then Give it gas again..and Pop,Pop, Pop... This Car Is Driving me crazy..Literally...

2. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

How did you set the points and valves?

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahaha...relax. And don't run the motor until we get this fixed. Probably only some readjustments needed.

Before we start, answer one question. Did it run pretty good before you started messin' with it?

4. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

It ran ok..but clearly needed some help.. I replaced cap,wires,pionts,plugs.Ect.... The guy I bought it from said Id have to set valve gaps..they were very sloppy.. I got them close..then test drive a little to see If it would run at all..Ran ok..but..seemed to be off on the timming..or Something..So I tried to first ake out number 1 plug..tapped the motor..till the paper towel I put in the plug hole blew out..telling me that the compression for #1 was at top dead center.. and set the gaps..Then went to the next one..did the same on each valve..Im also sure I didn't set the Points correct..

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

5. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

The wrong way..lol..Ive been doing endless research on how to do these dang valve gaps...I cant get a handle on it for some reason..Frustrated..:mad:

6. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Not sure if a pic helps

Attached Files:

7. wallyracer449

wallyracer449

what information did you use to set the valves i think in 57 they were all hydraulic in 55 sticks were solid autos hydraulic how did you set the points and timing

8. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

They are solid.. Because I have a manual Trans..??? Yes..???

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey...there ya are Sloppy.

I'm thinking you might've had another problem besides the points or valves, and the adjustments you performed may have just contributed to the problem. There may be a vacuum leak or something else...but first lets get the valves and points at least close to what they should be...then go from there.

Set the points first. No matter what you do, the engine isn't gonna run good without the correct points gap. Have you got a gap gauge?

10. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

I didn't really set the points.installed them.and left a small gap.. Ive never seen a point till I got this car..all my car projects have been newer models.. I figured an older one would be easier..NoT.. :cool:

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's just a matter of being familiar with them. You have a gap gauge? It's ok if you don't.

12. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

I have a Valve feeler..and a master feeler..Im in the garage with the laptop

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got something that'll measure .040? .030 will suffice.

14. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Yup..ready to roll

15. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

sorry..no..only to .026

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. Now don't let me insult your intelligence...but I'm not gonna assume anything since you seem to have limited experience with the older stuff.

So...

Do you realize that you have to first bump the starter until the points rest on the flat portion of the cam? The cam is that 6-sided roundish thing in the middle of the distributor...what the points rub against. Do that. Then loosen the adjustment screw for the points, and set the points to .040. That's a pretty tiny gap. Then tighten down the points adjustment screw and double check that the gap remained the same. Then hit me back. I'll be here.

17. Can you add two feeler gauges together to make .030 or .040? I'll leave this up to Rickybop, just jumping in here.

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops...only .026.......can you stack a couple of 'em to add up to something close?

19. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

yup..I can get .039 stacked

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Feel free to hang out, 103. Make sure I don't give Sloppy the wrong info!...lol.

21. wallyracer449

wallyracer449

car was hydraulic lifters with stick or auto trans both are zero lash

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

.038...awesome...close enough. Do the adjustment. Get back with us. I think this is fun, believe it or not...lol.

23. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

yup..Standing by ready..Cap off..

24. Oh the anticipation...

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Long distance tuning is fun when Sloppy is doin' the work...lol.

26. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Point gap .019 As you vary the point gap you also vary the timing, so point gap way off then timing is also. turn engine over by hand untill one cam lob is directly under the rubbing block of the points . Then set the gap so there is a LIGHT drag on the feeler blade. This takes a bit of practice to do right. To avoid further frustration try to find someone with a bit of experance in this to give you a hand and Buy a MOTOR"S manual that covers your car. Both things will help you not to pull your hair out by the roots! LOL Back in the day a 16 pump jocky could do a tune up no sweat, under 30 guys now days are clueless and not through their fault. Cars have changed a LOT in the last 30 years. I'm the other way ,don't have a clue on anything with a 'puter,injection etc.

27. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Yeah..A..Hoot...:D

28. The thrill of bumping the key, running around to see where the lobe is and thinking, just one more little bump. Run around and , Damn, too far!!

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn...I mis-spoke. Put the cam at a high point.