Register now to get rid of these ads!

You know you're getting old when...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 14, 2013.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) i find that stretching can help. Maybe a few mins in the morning, a few minutes before you start working/working on a project or a few mins mid-day and at night.
    i'll post a link here if anyone is interested.

2) Those energy drinks can also help give a boost----think nitrous to engine as energy drink is to body. But i would only recommend every now and then; For example if a project needs to be urgently finished.

a)i like MOnster
    b) i think there's a "'lil coke" in redbull. (small traces)

3) RE: taking naps during the day:
    Generally, everyone is going to get sleepy during the inverse midpoint of their normal sleep schedule. For example, if you sleep from 10pm to 6am, then you will generally get drowsy around 2pm (the mid-point between 10 and 6).

Exercise can help the quality of sleep such that you might not need to take naps during the day. Will comment on this further later.

2. life is changing , its time to buy more expensive cars than need less work and it is cheeper in the long run to buy the best available vehicle , and it takes all you got just to maintain that and keep it moving and looking good:rolleyes:

i laughed when i seen here about people geting down on tha creeper and having trouble getting back up, no joke it is hard for me too:eek:
    i was putting battry and air pump in trunk and every part of body hurts when its trying to move on on steel, knee pads help, sanding is neigh impossible , had to go to the VA last time I hand sanded and get muscle relaxers to function again:p

OLD AGE IS NOT FOR THE TIMID:)

3. raymay

raymay

After 60 everything seemed to work slower. It is like nature flipped a switch. If I overdue it I try to take a relax day. My biggest problem was remembering what day it is. I just realized that info is on my cell phone so I guess problem solved.

4. Dadstoy 2

Dadstoy 2

Where's the damn creeper?, What did I do with the 9/16 ratchet wrench?. Some times if I stop looking for something it shows up in a day or so.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Ha ha ha just like being high and going through withdrawal at the same time (did I already say that?)

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

6. jazz1

jazz1

I just came in from a long day of snowboarding,,which I took to 15 years ago when I only 40 years old..So many guys have health issues that may or may not be overcome but you gotta push yourself to do something that makes your blood flow and your heart pound,,

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

In the last few years I've been cut on more than a 50 full KustomMerc. About the time I recover enough to do some work in the shop something else pops! I'm not that old in years but the last few miles have been dang rough! For the last 2 months I've been trying to reacquire my shop from the (PUT IT IN THE GARAGE) people! I'm real close to gaining full control of the shop again! Now I just hope the plug job the doc put in my gut will last to let me get something done! yeah bending over stretching squatting climbing sometimes walking is an adventure but I'm gonna keep at it! I hear the alternative really sucks!

8. Weasel

Weasel

At 64 I can honestly say I am in the best shape I have been in the past 25 years or more. I hike a mountain with a better than 30% grade in places and do the 2.5 mile round trip to the top and back in 45 minutes - every morning. I use a pedometer which keeps me challenged to constantly do better. This energizes me for the day. I have lost thirty pounds, watch what I eat and take vitamins and supplements. I do pace myself more and do not go at it like a bull in a china shop - instead I pause between sessions, but three to four hours a session is the norm. Sometimes I forget the time if i get absorbed in what I am doing. I wake up every day with a positive attitude and sense of anticipation at what I might achieve during the day. I have adapted by putting everything I can on wheels so I do not have to lift too much. I use hydraulics and I use my head not my back, having had back surgery fifteen years ago. I stretch, loosen up and find that although I do not pop up off the creeper like I used to, it is not a major problem - yet. Sure I do not have the strength I once had for lifting stuff - but that was how I injured my back in the first place.

I keep my glasses handy as I cannot see close up stuff too well and have a set of 'Senior sockets' with the big laser etched size markings and an afternoon nap works wonders and keeps me going until dinner time.

Exercise and diet really help a lot and I am having a ton of fun building hot rods....

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It looks like there's a hand inside your abdomen?

10. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hey! its a small affair not your regular barko lounger. My shop is small all right. However it is there to stay!

11. historynw

historynw

Yeah that lift thing, you know your old when all your friends can't fit either.

12. Ya I suffer from CSS , CAN'T SEE S@#T and DWHS , DON'T WANTA HEAR SHIT , but it could be worse at least I know where my glasses are ,on my head!
    Life is a sentence and we don't get out alive so any day above ground is better than an eternity in it!

13. trollst

trollst

Not seeing like I used to pisses me off, it affects every thing I do, constantly cleaning or finding my glasses, used to work in a dim shop, no problem, now its bright and I still have trouble.
    I got my own blanket for fifteen years that goes on the floor before I do, floor isn't so cold that way, Like I said, seeing is a good thing.

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm seeing either an egg roll or a burrito, apparently swallowed whole. But I think he's referring to the vertebrae. Ouch!

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to plan your medication intake to the best effect for the day (And night!). I am still reasonably young but kinda broken. The pills I take can be fun........
    Tramadol 200SR, Oxycontin 20mg and Celebrex.
    It's good to push yourself, just don't keep going when you find your limit!

Oh, and parachuting is fun but just don't fuck it up!

Doc.

16. Im so old no more sex but i can blow a fart !

17. MBog

MBog

I'm 59 this year and I consider myself in reasonably good health and fit enuf to put in a hard days work. Well I thought so till I helped an older friend of mine build an addition on my garage. He put me to shame, hell he would put a 40 year old to shame. We were having a beer the other day after putting the sheathing on the roof (where he was running around like a chimp), when I asked what year he was born...1941 he said...I had another extra strength pain killer and got him another beer...

18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in fairly decent shape for 70 but find it takes a lot longer to get things done than in the past but still try to hang in there-much better than doing nothing-just started another 40 coupe project.

19. Yep these are the "Golden Years" so i am told....If i find the sob that said that i'm gonna punch him in the neck!....If i don't throw my back out trying!!

20. Deuces

Deuces

Lately, I've been straightening prototype aluminum sand castings on a "sloted" steel table that stands about 18" off the floor.... Yeah, it's hard on the knees..:(
    It helped me out allot by folding up a bunch of carbboard to plant my knees on while I'm clamping the aluminum castings down... No pain!...:)

21. ,,,as a '39 model myself I say,,10-4 to all of the above...:eek::):mad:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  22. One morning you wake up and there's an old guy in the mirror looking back at you .
    30 year old folks are holding doors for you .
    My hair is not short , almost white ; I have full facial hair and I've been told I have a twinkle in my eyes . In December I get a lot of "Are you Santa ?" . I have some fun with that .

23. big bad john

big bad john

....bad thing being old are the brain farts that happen all the time

24. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

when I have a project, I wait and call the kids to help. thank God for 3 boys!

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Using a hack saw has become aerobic exercise.

I don't spend much time looking for nuts and washers I just removed, just go get another one.

Instead of lifting my wheels up onto the lug nut studs I lower the floor jack until the wheel slides on.

26. I have sleep apnea, I think that's how it spelled. Anyway, now I use a cpap machine at nite. I don't require the naps as often.
    Remember guys what always beats youth and vigor is.........old age and trechery.....LOL.

27. b-bob

b-bob

I also take Tramadol 200's. I used to take Ibuprofin and Tylenol too, untill my stomach bled and i had to have a colonosopy to find out why i had blood in the colon. I just put up with the pain now.
    My back has the same sway as the x-ray on here and the best relief is from what's called a 'nerve burn'. They burn the nerves off with needles and gives a lot of relief for about nine months at a time.
    I let it go too long this time and found out there is a three month waiting list! Not good.

28. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey
    from Moline IL

... when everything's still stiff and limber, but it's all traded places.

... when you suffer from CRAFT, the advanced form of CRS.

... what was the question?

29. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

I'm getting there too, I'll be 60 this summer. I have 3 or 4 pairs of those cheater glasses in varying strengths. Sometimes I need to double or triple them up to see small shit up close.

Getting off the floor is tougher. My creeper broke the other day. Cheap Harbor Freight unit I got for $10 on a scratch sale. It had a small nick in the vinyl cover over the headrest. I discovered the weight limit is 300# after the casters punched through the plastic the first time I tried to roll up on my side on the creeper to reach something.

I have an old moving pad that I put on the floor and if it's not handy an old military wool scratchy as shit blanket works well too. Anything to keep me off the concrete.

Where have the days of back crawling out from under the car with the transmission on my chest to keep from scratching the pan gone?

30. robertsregal

robertsregal