Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fairburn Georgia Dragstrip anyone??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slammed1, Jan 7, 2008.

1. slammed1

slammed1

Just checking back in on this thread,good to see some more replies popped up.

2. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

My dad raced there years ago, I'll see if he has any pics from there and I know a few other old timers that raced there too, I'll ask them also! By the way, it's an airstrip now, I went right by there last week!

3. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

Back around 80/81 I was building a 66 SS Chevelle bracket car and needed a std hood to replace the SS hood. The hood I ended up with was blue with stars. It was not cut for a scoop. I don't have any pics of this hood or car but if you post some of your pics it may help my memory. I still have a hazy 'mental image' of the backyard where I picked up the hood :) over in the east side of Smyrna GA off Old Atlanta Rd.

rj

4. dan scoggins

dan scoggins
    from atlanta

biran i remember you &larry,, the name on the chevy drag car was Morris&Mcclure ,after gerald moved we lost touch,,the last time we talked his phone ended in 3726 i still have the speed shop at the same place.

5. slammed1

slammed1

Thanks for the reply Dan. Dad still had that number when he passed in 2004,He was probably talking to you at that time back then about our cars he was helping us build.Im glad to see you still have the shop and are still around. Thanks again for coming in and posting up. I still have 2 of his old photo albums I need to get from family with some very nice late 60s drag race shots and we even still have silent film footage of Fairburn Strip with the 67 Chevelle doing launches/dry hops/and passes.....too bad theres no noise.

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

any news or pictures ?

7. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

8. Falconred

Falconred

I remember the Asphalt Angel before it got the vw front axle and it was a lot better looking car then. I was wondering about the mention above about a car called "Little Boy Blue", was that a 396 Chevelle? There was a fellow named Richard Teague from home (BLairsville, GA) who lived around Atlanta at that time and he had a Chevelle called that and I wondered if it could be the same car.

9. slammed1

slammed1

Recently had a cousin send me some pictures he found of a few of our cars along with a couple Dad worked on.

Heres the Fiat Topolino with Caveman painted on the frt.
    [​IMG]
    Heres the 67 SS 396 that ran G/MP NHRA with a destroked 277 smallblock and high 10 sec times.(circa 1973)
    [​IMG]

Heres the 68 GTO daily driver we had (circa 1971/72)
    [​IMG]
    Heres Reggies altered wheel base blown 56 Chevy with Dad standing at the left frt corner.(the rear wheels were brought forward a foot)
    [​IMG]

10. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Ran there in around 670till it closed have a m/p 55 with a 427 tunnel ram.Wold go to Fairburn Fri/Sat and on to Dallas on Sun.Finally got tired and give it up.Used to have to go back return road that houston wold put oil down to kep dust down but Oscar.Jabo,and the houston bros Corvette would come back down the strip itself.Was there when Jabo rolled the Terminal 55 over on July4 race

11. southern thunder

southern thunder

I raced and hung out at fairburn, I remember the car in question, but no pix. Reading this thread brings back a lot of memories, though clouded.I remember the Asphalt angel, i remember it blue also. I think Billy Christian got rid of the 55 and had a anglia. Dan Scoggins was a friend, though I haven't seen him in 30 years or so. He sold me my first anglia body when I was 15 for $25.oo. He had some bad anglias, and at one time he too had a fiat. ( Dan, correct me on this if I'm wrong) Also A guy named Jerry Hand I think he worked at Nally too, had a 55 chev. and later a camaro that was a strong runner. He had a friend named Herman Etheridge that helped him alot, Herman, and his dad worked for my dads const. business. I knew Herman well. Also a guy named Jerry Bryant that worked to colquit chev, in Lithonia, had some bad camaros.

12. slammed1

slammed1

We had an Anglia in our back yard for a few years way back when,and it most likely came from Dan Scoggins. Dad worked at Nalley,and also worked with Dan Scoggins at the Speed Shop. We had a straight axle 37 Chevy coupe that got the 396 out of the Chevelle after is was removed and repaired. Not sure if the 37 ever ran at Fairburn but know for a few yrs the 67 Chevelle was there.

Nice to see that a few of you guys remember racing or visiting Fairburn. Even though Gerald isnt with us anymore its nice to know some of you still might remember us kids he and Mom had.

One day in the future I will build a tribute car like his old 67 Chevelle and drive the wheels off of it.

The hoodscoop was handmade from aluminum sheet and engine turned for the shine,it sparkled at nite in the lights.My little bro had the scoop still up to a few yrs ago,not sure if its still around or not. I believe we still have a Kendig carb somewhere that he tried at one time.
    [​IMG]

13. Julius Hughes

Julius Hughes

I will look throught my old pics to see if I have anything My husband Julius Hughes (Atlanta Speed Shop) managed the track for Ted in the late 50s and early 60. He did tech inspection and ran the race I painted the class numbers on the cars. We also raced there back in the day. Some of the names I remember: Jabo Elam, The Lowe Brothers, Hoyt Grimes, Ronney Curry, Trying to remember more

14. slammed1

slammed1

Thanks,much appreciated. I know its a huge quest being he was a lower class racer but he knew alot of guys and the car was kind of unique.

15. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

My Bad:rolleyes: My Mom and my Dad managed Ted's track

16. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

More Fairburn racers,Bayne Culley,Joe White,Billy Sheets,Frank Hawkins,Phillips Brothers,Tony Benefield,Mitchell Gibson,Ronnie Stewart,Erwin Aderhold,Ken Arnold,Norris Swain,Roshenberg and Smith,Hubert Plattt,Oscar Roberts,Jack Black,Rindley Norris and a host of other great racers.I'm sorry to report that at least seven of the above named racers are no longer with us. Freddie Cain way down south in McDonough,Ga.

17. slammed1

slammed1

Nice to see more info being provided.Thanks.

18. slammed1

slammed1

Sorry I moved somethings around in photobucket and pics got deleted.

Heres the Fiat Topolino with Caveman painted on the frt.
    [​IMG]

Heres the 67 SS 396 that ran G/MP NHRA with a destroked 277 smallblock and high 10 sec times.(circa 1973)
    [​IMG]
    Heres the 68 GTO daily driver we had (circa 1971/72)
    [​IMG]
    Heres Reggies altered wheel base blown 56 Chevy with Dad standing at the left frt corner.(the rear wheels were brought forward a foot)
    [​IMG]

Dog_Patch likes this.
  19. jimmechanic

jimmechanic

20. jimmechanic

jimmechanic

hi, worked with Gerald crockett on his 64 cheville and then the 67 vette he got from bob callahann
    lost track of Gerald when I got hooked into the navy during Vietnam. I know Gerald worked for fulton county public works dept at stonewall tell. he got me a job back when I got out of highschool. Gerald was a very kind gentle man until you got him pissed haha. I was allowed to work on the cars with him. my pay was a free ticket to the races fri & sat nights. Many a night spent working on the car in geralds garage. Made many a trip to dan's auto parts for late night work on heads and parts pick up. those were the times. Also remember some street racing on hwy 29 at the colleg park / east point line started at cambell's hamburger and went north a couple of streets before shutdown. Cops were pretty cool back then. as long as you did not get crazy and run more than a couple of streets they would let you race. I remember the names of Jabo and the others. fine times then not too many fights as I recall. most were over in just a couple of hits. Gerald was a big man, that's all it took haha don't have any photos of the day. I did go back to the track a few years ago and man it sure was narrow. If you were in the lead you shut down before you got to the lights. If not better to lose than wreck

21. k9racer

k9racer

The crowd favorite was a class called Cheating 4 barrel.Any thing went as long as it had a 4 barrel carb. The also did a write up in a national mag about these cars.