Register now to get rid of these ads!

You know you're getting old when...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Mar 14, 2013.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When I look at something on the floor I wounder that it must have been someone young that put that there. But it is better than having them shoveing cotton is your ass and the ground hog dlivering the mail.

2. Lol
    You know you are old when you refer to the town square as a place and not a person.

3. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I can't remember where I put shit - like 2 minutes ago - I don't remember I already have one after I buy one I thought I needed - Does that make sense? What was I saying?

4. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

blowby. Wecome to the old farts club. I'm 70 somthing and I feel your pain. Just getting out of bed is a grueling task. I take my shower at night to ease the pain of the day. In the morning I go out to the shop, make my coffe, play with my little dog Gunnar, And go on HAMB. After what ever time it is. I go and start on my shop project. lunch and a nap. Stop at 6:00, have a beer. By 7:00 I'm done. Time for my pills.:)

One day my wife came into the shop. I was under the car. She asked me. Do you need a screw driver, I said yes, I can't fix this thing anyhow:eek:

5. Canus

Canus

What I want to know is who has the room in their shop for a recliner?

6. Fenders

Fenders

Life is interesting.
    Death, not so much.

7. 70+ and life does not get easier. Getting down to the floor is not a problem, but getting up requires something to hold onto and maybe a helping hand. When I built my shop, no thought to a lift, what was I thinking? Aleve about 3 times a day but I keep trucking. Some day I'll finish the 54. Gonna drive it anyway.
    Later,
    Dick

8. Bully! I say...Bully!

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Welcome to the world of Reality !!
    Oh, for the good old days of the body still feeling like my mind does !
    Cheers.....

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Whats your drug of choice? Advil.
    Its the getting up part. I see a definite slowdown.
    When the back says get me a screwdriver, its time to be done.
    I know I can push myself farther than I can go.
    I was working on my daughter's car Sunday and had to stop at U-Joints.
    Power steering hoses were done, wiper motor was RnR'd, brakes were bled and the door was taken apart and put back together so the lock works now. She made me a Beam and Coke and I splained how to press U-Joints. She was very proud and wants to do more. Its Thursday afternoon and I'm still sore.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ain't that the truth; who ever thought that sleeping would make ya hurt?

12. teejay99

teejay99

Aleve, for me too ....I can only suggest walking every day . Seriously . About a half mile in shitty weather and 2-3 miles in good weather . It helps .

T

13. I relly miss seeing a straight line, with bifocals it's either a smile or a frown. Also, Aleve is the second best little blue pill.

14. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Gawd does this hit home. I just turned 60and I know I'm in better shape than most guys my age but damn things are much heavier than they used to be, simple repairs seem difficult and I ache for days after a big project. Got lots of pills to take and the last three days in a row my Dr made me come in and get vitamin B 12 shots. (At least I still am aware what a cute little hotty the nurse is).

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I hear that. I have to leave the windows down in my rod so I have a place to grab on and get myself up, seriously! I keep pondering, if I could just get back to my 180lb. wrenching weight I'd have a lot more stamina. However, I like to have a snack while I ponder.

16. Deuces

Deuces

I ain't that old......Yet!..:rolleyes:

17. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Thanks for this great thread, and I thought I was all alone in what is happening to me.;);)

18. Dizzie

Dizzie

I used to teach all day and then come home, have some supper and work in the shop until 10pm. When I retired I thought that I would, or could, keep up the pace. Now my day consists of going for coffee with the buddies until 9am, running errands until 11am, eating lunch, working in the shop until 3-4pm, then done for the day. I don't get as much done as I thought that I would, but I find that I'm enjoying my time in the shop more. Besides, I don't have a timeline for the new project, and I have 2 rods to drive anyway.

19. Getting older to me is now having to plan my moves. I used to just twist and turn any way, jump and bounce around getting things done. If I do that now I end up pulling something loose. Old muscles and tendons just aren't as elastic as they were back in my 30s and 40s. Planning and effort are now commonplace for me now.

20. codeblu

codeblu

When you are standing in the cookie aisle...looking for the chocolate chip cookies with the most fiber...

21. Thumper

Thumper

Ya' know your gettin' old when you sit down to shit...and your balls hang in the water....:eek:. Getting up off a creeper is a bitch..

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

In April of 1969...
    ....Getting my four wisdom teeth yanked out in the afternoon when I was 19.
    Get a ride home, take a pain pill, have a couple of beers, put a rag in my mouth to soak up blood and got under my Model A and put in a new transmission.

fast forward.........

On March 4, 2013

[​IMG]

23. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

At any rate, welcome back to hot rods and projects in the garage. I swear I am not going to stop doing it until I can no longer do it. The satisfaction is there and the respect from my boys is there as they learn to work on their own cars. The problem I have is that when I was in my mid 20's, I swore I was going to have that cool kustom by the time I was in my 30's and not be that old guy with the cool kustom....but...um...well....I have a cool kustom now but now I'm in my mid 50's.
    Keep going on the hot rods guys. It is what will keep ya going.

24. Why when you get old do they put the damn creeper so close to the floor? I get down on it and have hell of a time getting back up because I forgot a tool. I'm 64.

Lee

25. CruZer

CruZer

Hey,Mike, that sounds just like me !!Especially the gin and tonics.
    All of these responses sounds like me Naps,making usre I have everything spread around me before I get on the creeper,etc.etc.
    When I built my garage, I was 60 years old. I had a plan to close off one bay where my roadster sits,put in some heat source so when I retired,I could work on my car all winter.
    I'm 65 now. I never closed off that bay,never put in heat and I am very glad that my roadster only needs maintenance and upgrades that I can do in the summer.
    I feel like I'm lazy, but in reality, I pay for every minute I lay on that cold concrete for days afterwards.
    Getting old is OK in some ways and lousy in others,but I don't like the alternative.

26. fleetside66

fleetside66

It beats falling asleep under the vehicle. Last summer I saw my 80 year old neighbor with his feet sicking out from underneath his truck. I yelled "hi" to him, but no movement. I thought. "Uh-oh." It turned out he was just asleep.

27. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Been there, done that.:)

28. firingorder1

firingorder1

The faster I try to make my sidecar the slower I am at doing it. But I hate when I wake up in the morning and every thing is stiff except..................................

29. your heading out to the shop with something planned to do and have figured out how to do it,,, and then you forget. go back in the house like a idiot and ask your wife what you was going out to do, because you explained to her twice, with details, and she paid no attention to what you said, because she was watching the view.

30. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

When I built my shop in 1984 it was perfect, except for a lift.

Now it seems, the floor is too low. :D