Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do y'all keep a straight face...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

....when decreeing your car, "The Bob Johnson Roadster" (for example). So sayeth, Bob Johnson. I've always understood a name such as that comes to an inanimate object by way of lineage and historical significance. And by someone OTHER than the owner of said car. How about NO TITLE, as in, Bob Johnson's roadster?

2. metal man

metal man

I totally agree! That is a H.A.M.B. thing. I've never heard that anywhere else. It really annoys me for some reason.

3. i've never heard of anyone decreeing their car in such a manner.

i'd like to meet the man who does.

i wonder what the rest of his world sounds like..

'the bob johnson house'
    'the bob johnson wife'
    'the bob johnson johnson'

gotta be some big shoes to walk around in.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Bob Johnson was my great uncle.....Been dead since 1987.....Drove a beat up Buick if i remember correctly.

5. I'll admit to being guilty of naming cars, and other crap, but NEVER after myself!

I guess, though, if someone were really proud of their work (or themselves) throwing their name around might feel good.

I once had a luch special named after me at a restaurant, because that is all I ever ordered and I went there often, but I didn't name it...:rolleyes:

6. jmoney11d7

jmoney11d7

Ricky Henderson thinks that's ridiculous

7. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

The Bob Johnson Johnson????

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I decree "The Charles R. Quinn '48 Plymouth" AKA "Beat up pile of shit" for short...

9. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

And a cheap bottle of champagne to smash over the grill.

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

You must maintain a straight face or the peasants won't take you seriously.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there is a certain person here who did it. even had the name painted on the car. I don't get it either.

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I named my car in my build thread and I wish I hadn't. I was sort of joking and then it became a real thing.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Usually when I see this, its in reference to a past owner of a well known car, something like "the Doane Spencer roadster" or "the Lloyd Bakan coupe" . Is that what we are talking about here?

14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

the only cars I name are the ones that I pretty much hate. had a cheapo cavelier I bought for college that I affectionately referred to as "guano" aka bat or bird excrement lol

15. If I was to talk Randy out of his roadster and become the new owner would I use the term "The Deuce Roadster Roadster"? :confused::D HRP

16. Must be an ego thing... the closest I come to that is naming my farts after events or other people.

Examples: The China Buffet Fart of 2006 or The Matt Sxxxxx's Mom Fart (long story there...).

Bob

17. Could there be a more useless thread?

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

...Ya, "what could I put on a Ranger chassis?"!

19. Grudge

Grudge

HAHA I was just talking about this with a buddy the other day. I think people today are more aware of "self marketing" than in the past, maybe it's a YouTube-generation thing.

Aaron

20. Yup, the name HAS to come frome somewhere other than the namesake owner!

21. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

I like to just call it my car. But im old fashioned.

22. 1arock

1arock

That makes me feel better because around here here all my stuff has the title,"The Idiot's Junk".

23. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

"Bob's your uncle"?

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I remember years ago, a friend of mine had a big ol' beater Gran Torino, we broke the "To" off the trunk emblem. Really suited that car...

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Very well done D-Russ! And, in doing so I think you made the point that a couple have been trying to get across - the name can't come from the owner of the car, it has to be given...

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

It just kinda happened.

I started out explaining that the car was built as a monocoque, and then people would say ' Oh, you mean a Unibody "

So I then would describe it as a Unibody.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331971

But when my wife and me are talking about our cars, we just call it " the '28" or " the Roadster ".

It doesn't really matter.

I used to go by Alexander.

But when I moved here it became Alex.

That took a little getting used to...;)

27. When I had my '64 Ford, naturally I had a shitload of extra parts cars around. The letters on the hood became F O O D, F R O D, D O R F, R O O F and so on, it was fun.

Bob

28. It strikes me as an ego driven thing. If the name identifies a historic car and build concept that serves as a corner stone to the trade, then it makes sense. Or if it is built by influential people in a rare team effort, why not. For internal use at a shop i.e. Crandall's roadster, sure. To be a random guy and proclaim it as "The Wilbur Kookmire roadster" and the final product does'nt really warrant a foot note in the history of hotrodding, then to me the guy comes off as full of himself. It's like surfing a longboard leashless. If your good and don't lose your board, you don't catch any flack, but if you lose your board your a kook.

29. It seems like two different things are being talked about...

I don't think there's a problem with owners naming their car/project. I can think of a bunch off the top of my head (The Chemical City Coupe, The Texas Playboy, The Diamond Deuce, etc.)
    I've been kicking around ideas myself.

But I don't think an individual can name his own car after himself. It can be something that the next owner uses to attribute it back to the initial owner/builder. But the namesake himself cannot use his own name to reference the vehicle.

I don't think Edelbrock ever referred to his roadster as 'The Edelbrock Roadster' and I certainly won't ever refer to my daily driver as 'The Speedy Canuck Daily Driver'. BUT, if I get famous and someone buys my DD off me, then they can call it that.

30. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Well if this is true then I'm out of the crosshairs of this inquisition so lets go with this folks :)