Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects GASSER OR TAIL DRAGGER? 38 Chevy Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by amadeus, Mar 14, 2013.

?

GASSER or TAIL DRAGGER

Poll closed Mar 24, 2013.
  1. GASSER

49.0%
  2. TAIL DRAGGER

51.0%
  1. amadeus

amadeus

Picked up this 38 Coupe, it is already set up as a GASSER,
    My dilemma...Should I keep it as a gasser or should I turn it into a tail draggin' coupe?

Car was set up with a SBC/4SPD Straight axle (lang-long?)
    I have a left over SBC 6-71 Blown /4Spd from the A coupe project that I sold last year.

I dont see many tail draggers with high HP motors..
    So as you can see I'm torn between both styles..
    part of me wants to keep it as a GASSER..Part of me wants to Chop and drop that sucker because of the elegant lines...
    What would you do??

Attached Files:

2. Leakie

Leakie

Tail dragger , you can't beat the looks of 37/38 Chevy coupe dropped low.

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  4. JAWS

JAWS

If I hadn't of sold my 46 to Aaron, it was getting a blower. I already had one on the line....As it was it had aluminum heads and a T5, 4.11's and a locker. It ran like a hotrod should, but looked like a custom.

IF, big IF, I can swing it, this merc is gonna get a blown motor eventually.

5. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

I vote tail dragger, but it's 38 Chevy no matter what it's killer cool! Not that Iam partial to them or anything!

6. jimdillon

jimdillon

Although of course, it is your car and your decision, the only thing I am curious is what is meant by as you say, it was setup as a gasser. I am not sure if that was something done recently or back in let's say the 60s when it may have raced. I remember a black 37 that was a B/G car that ran at Detroit Dragway in the late 60s and to this day I still think of the car. I only hope that car was never transformed-it was just too cool.

Of course gassers seem to be somewhat the rage today and cars with no history are being transformed into gassers. Not so long ago, gassers were fair game for the pro street look and many pretty nice cars are now God only knows what.

Long story short if it had any history be it as a gasser or a tail dragger I would try and keep the look or that style. They are both great looks in their own right. Guys coming along should see what they were like during what I consider the golden era of these customs and drag cars. If the gasser look was a recent deal then go with your gut, as either way it has a chance to be really cool.-Jim

7. amadeus

amadeus

Hi Jim, you hit it right on the nail! this is the very same dilemma Im having. It is a factual survivor. It was set up as a gasser from way back,definitely not a new built. The car has an early straight axle (aftermarket,a friend said it was a LANG-LONG?) chromed (chrome is old) and the rear has what looks to have had homemade ladder bars. Interior has an old SW Gauge Panel with SW gauges, super funky interior with the rear package tray area covered in tuck and roll and yes, a wonderful state of the art 8TRACK! LOL. It most likely was built in the 60's and refreshed in the 70's. Unfortunate that the previous owner at some point decided to "Street Rod" the car and started to change a couple of things but thankfully gave up in that idea.
    It will cost me about the same to go either way...
    I will need to refreshen that front end and update that rear end either way being that I will be using that Supercharged SBC.

8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Gasser.Why re-invent the wheel with the way it already is. It will look Great

9. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Ahhh damn you I was taildragger all the way. Then you said it has been a gasser for years. I would put the blower motor and drive it. If you decide you not happy offer it to someone who would want it that way.

10. jimdillon

jimdillon

JW I did not vote before but would have to vote gasser. Although cars don't really have a soul in the truest sense they do have heritage. If it is a real gasser in a sea of new gassers then that is pretty cool (although watch out for the gasser police-they can be a bit hard to stomach).

There are enough stock models and enough tail draggers out there. There is nothing like bringing a car back. When I hear that motor for the first time it just brings a smile that is hard to get rid of-like hearing a heartbeat from something that was dead. Maybe it is just me but I doubt it=Jim

11. amadeus

amadeus

Here is another pic.. notice the home-made tow bar!

Attached Files:

12. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Please keep it a gasser.

13. amadeus

amadeus

Holy! That is one fast tail dragger! Saw the You Tube Vids, I guess he pulled the motor after the Oil Pump mishap?
    Maybe too much HP and no street manners..
    Either way,that is one beautiful car :D
    Thank You for Sharing

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

That car was born to be a gasser, can't re-write history. Now dust off that blower, and get at it.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What's the difference, they both sit low in the back ;). I voted none the less :D

16. Real customs are hot rods. Drag that ass and make it drag ass, never hurts to have a few ponies under the hood of anything.

17. Why follow the crowd?

I'd just hot rod it.

Hopped up motor, updated suspension... nice wheels and tires... keep it traditionally flavored... and DRIVE IT!

Sam

18. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

lets get some more pics by the way!

19. amadeus

amadeus

This is the only other pic that I have .
    I will try and get more.
    Interior and Underside.

Attached Files:

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Tail dragger all the way....faux gassers are a blight.

21. captmullette

captmullette

it is a gasser, look at the picture...... duh

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Shot down before it ever got started. I say lets see what it becomes.

23. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

this is a joke ---right ?

24. I have been looking for skirts to do just that for may years! I think if I add skirts with no other mods it would resemble a taildragger and just for the same reason cuz ya never see them!Pop the skirts off BAM back to gasser! I think skirts with my 14/32s tucked under them would look cool ,no? Whatta you guys say? Maybe someone would build me a set as I don't think they makem. Crap,I never meant to hyjack yer post! If ya want I will delete this.I was just amazed you had the same thoughts as I because I have never seen it done (and I wanna be different just like everybody else...I read that here somewheres...)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  25. I say build a tail dragger with balls. Just my 2 cents.

26. ...my vote...
    [​IMG]

27. I voted GASSER ! Maybe that front axle is a Don Long ?

[​IMG]

28. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Gasser! It is kinda leaning towards that direction anyway. It would be nice to see some more pics of it!

Jay

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

"What would you do??"

38chevyexallcomersracer.jpg

Sylvester%20Coupe.jpg

30. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

My '37 started out to be a Gasser...but I guess I took a wrong turn somewhere!!

You know what my vote is! :D

Looks like a real nice start where ever you go with it...have fun!

Attached Files:

mike bowling likes this.