Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wooden car question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Supernasty, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Supernasty

Supernasty

Just a question I'd like to throw out there. If you have a chassis, say 30's-40's, would you be able to build a wooden body and have it street legal? I know the laws would be different in all area's and countries but just curious if this would fly. I have seen wooden sub structures with sheet metal skins over top but again just curious about a wooden sub structure and a wooden skin. What say you gents.

Robert

2. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I think if you built it,any police that pulled you over would just want to see your car.What about woodies? Wood support structure,wood panels.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You answered your own question. Call your DMV. Ask about art cars.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

As you say, at one time lots of cars were made of wood. Never heard of anyone passing a law against wooden bodies and can't imagine why they would. It's not like it's a big problem and besides, they would have to make an exception for all the cars that already have wooden bodies like the 30s model you are talking about.

You might notice twenties and early 30s chassis were very deep, up to 7 or 8 inches on the larger cars. Starting in the mid 30s they were a lot thinner, this is because the all steel bodies didn't need as much support.

So, if you were going to do this, the earlier stiffer frame would be preferable.

5. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

In my opinion that is very dependent on location, each State or Province having mostly different registration laws; some locations may have none. If I look up the "rules" in Pennsylvania, I would say yes you can register a custom wooden body built on a pre 40 frame. With all the lumber history in BC I think I could talk them into the historical significance of such a vehicle.

6. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

:DI was expecting pine wood derby questions with all the newbies latley.

7. hmm what year vehicle will it be w/o some base for a timeline it may have to meet new car standards .

8. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) i think if you go back far enough even the frames were wood.

2) Concerning wood bodies, check out this wonderful free e-book, specifically chapters 6-11; Those wisconsin and minnesota people are so anal-retentive. And that's a good thing:

http://www.hotrodders.com/scratch-built/Cover

9. Go for it.

10. metal man

metal man

If you have the title for the frame you use, just go buy tags for it and drive. How would police/ DMV know what the body is made of ?

11. Here's a 1932 Ford roadster built from wood. I seem to remember this car being at a GoodGuys Show in Puyallup, Wa years ago. Jim Riley's?
    [​IMG]
    Wood frame mockup
    [​IMG]

12. Supernasty

Supernasty

Thanks for the link C-10

13. What is interesting is that Fords from the 20's, the interiors were wood framed to attach the fabric. Chevy's were wood framed to attach the metal body to.

14. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I own an off topic production car that has a wooden chassis and a fiberglass body. It has a metal sub frame in the front that carries the engine and has a 4 link rear suspension (pointing forward) in the back. The transmission mount is metal but all the rest is wood. They used wood because it was lighter and stiffer that a metal frame. The car is a 1966 Marcos 1800 GT. There are perhaps a dozen of these cars scattered about the USA, all licensed and being driven on the street. Mine is a dedicated race car at this point and is #79 of 99 built between 1963 and 1966. It is very competitive in Vintage car races. Here is an old picture from when I still drove the Marcos on the street.

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1886904&stc=1&d=1363147278

Attached Files:

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Other than the Marcos, last wooden bodied car was the 1953 Buick station wagon. Then, there were the half timbered Chrysler Town and Countries 1940 - 52. Before 1940, in addition to wooden station wagons, many cars had floors, bulkheads and fastening strips of wood. Custom bodied cars had wood frames. General Motors mass produced bodies had wooden frames up to 1934 or 35. So it would be pretty hard to draw a line that did not step on someone's toes.

16. spooler41

spooler41

Every car that Ford built from 1903 till 1935 had a wood frame body on it. It seemed to work for them.

.....................Jack

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Franklins had wooden frames up to 1934. I mean the chassis frame rails not the body. He used to ask " Would you rather pound rocks with a wooden handle hammer or a steel handle hammer?"

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  18. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Here is one that was at the NSRA show in Tampa FL last year.

Attached Files:

19. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

Yes, you can build a wood body car. My Dad and I built our 1929 Chevy on a stock chassis. We've had no problem registering, insuring or having it inspected in Massachusetts. As long as you have equipment that was included at the time of your chassis' year of manufacture (ie: 1929=no seat belts, only need one brake light, only need one windshield wiper, etc.), you're good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Barney rubble had one...

21. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I built one out of pine,wooden start and wooden drive.:D
    Maybe set up a splinter group to discuss it.:)

22. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive also wanted to build me a wooden car.or truck. like the old ford c sereis. but im gettin way to much shit to do and not enough time left to do it in. but thats been in my head for a long time now.wish id had done it.

23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can work in it until you get board

24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

As long as it is powered by a nailhead.

25. Kume

Kume

Morris Minor Traveller still being made in the early 1970s
    Morgan - still going strong

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  26. Supernasty

Supernasty

That's killer.

27. Lots of cars have been built out of wood,,heck most earl Fords & Chevy's were wood structure with sheet metal tacked in place.

This is just cool. HRP

[​IMG]

28. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

awesome....wheres my pocket knife???

29. The Big M

The Big M

30. Here's another one, fugly. Mopar 318 in it.

Attached Files: