Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Chrysler Windsor Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fifty5rod, Mar 13, 2013.

1. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Does anyone know if this Chrysler Windsor model was made in 1948? Trying to buy it and all the searches I've found come back to a 1950s and up models.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

yes i have had numerous 48 chrysler windsors most of them 3 windows, working on one now

3. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Thanks for the info!!:)

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The car pictured in your post is either a 1951 or 1952 model. 1948 Chryslers used a totally different body than that shown.

Ray

5. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

this. i have a 52 Town & Country and it looks a LOT like that. definitely not a 48.

6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

1948 windsor......

[​IMG]

7. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

That the picks I've googled on 48' Windsor deluxe Frankie47...thanks

8. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

What you guys think?? Would this be a good candidate to HAMBer it up??

Opinions welcome..as well as pictures!!

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It's a 51 or 52, the only obvious difference is the tail lights. The 51 had a tail light and a separate backup light a few inches below it. The 52 had the tail light and backup light together in the same housing.

They were a great car, well made, roomy, a fine family car and reliable cruiser. But never a star for looks or performance and not considered any good for a hot rod or custom.

I have had a few like that, if I had a chance at a nice one I would buy it. With the idea of keeping it stock and enjoying it. Not a good candidate for a HAMB car.

One of the coolest cars I ever saw was very similar to that but a club coupe. Black, all the chrome perfect, wide whites, original hubcaps, it looked like it just rolled out of the showroom.

Then you opened the hood to a full house, flathead six. Finned aluminum head, twin carburetors, beehive oil filter, the whole treatment. Over $1500 in chrome and polished goodies alone.

I don't know how fast it was, but it sure looked impressive.

10. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

It is a nice looking ride..I think with a dropped suspension it will look good . want it to cruise w my wife and kids not looking for horsepower but indeed cruzing with style..thanks for the input Rusty!!:)

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

For a family cruiser you couldn't possibly do better. Reliable, well made, good brakes, parts not hard to come by or expensive. Very roomy and comfortable inside.

I don't know how familiar you are with early fifties Chrysler products so I will only say, left hand thread wheel bolts on the left side, and positive ground 6V battery. And, if you are not familiar with Fluid Drive just ask. They are a tough reliable transmission but require a special driving technique. You can learn it in 5 minutes but could take you weeks to figure out on your own.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have a set of Fatman dropped spindle supports, suspension bushing kit and a set of shocks for that car. If you are interested let me know.

13. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

You are right..when I test drove it had to hit the clutch..weird but I liked it.

14. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I may take you up on some advice this summer Rusty .I also have a 49 Windsor I got in the fall .Plan an hope to get running this summer when the snow melts.It has the fluid drive too.

15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Basics of driving a Fluid Drive. It is one of the first automatics made.

It is a cross between an automatic and manual trans. with features of both.

Best driving technique I have found.

Put the trans in neutral, apply the hand brake and start the motor. Let it warm up a minute. Step on clutch, shift into HI range and release clutch, with hand brake still on. Release hand brake and drive away like any automatic. Normal driving is all done in HI range.

When you get up to 14 MPH or higher, lift off the gas pedal. You should hear a soft *click-clack* from under the floor boards. Now you are in high gear. Step on the gas and go someplace.

When you stop you can ignore the clutch. Hold the brake pedal like any automatic. Then drive away as above, the trans will have shifted down automatically when you stopped so you will have to lift off to shift into hi again.

For slow driving in deep snow, sand, or mud, or starting on a hill, pulling a trailer etc. there is a Low range. Shift into low and start off as above, when you reach 6 MPH or more you can lift off and shift into high gear (of low range). If you want to go into high range, use the clutch pedal and shift into high as if it was a manual trans.

There are 3 gears. From Neutral, Reverse is towards you and down. Low range is straight up. High range is straight down.

At speeds up to 50 in high gear of high range, the trans will kick down a gear if you floor the gas pedal.

The trans will free wheel in low gear of either range but lock up in high gear of either range. So for going down hill, shifting into low range will give more engine braking.

The trans and Fluid Drive unit are very simple, rugged and trouble free. 9 times out of 10, if there is a problem, it is as simple as a broken wire, low oil, or an adjustment of the carburetor.

You can start off by shifting into gear and slipping the clutch but don't overdo it. The Fluid coupling gives an odd sensation, it feels like it is slipping but you can just drop the clutch and it won't stall. The clutch itself is only half the size of a normal clutch. Trying to slip it and drive like a manual, will soon wear out the clutch and the car will drive like a dog besides. So, use the clutch as little as possible. Let the Fluid Drive do its job.

16. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Nice...I drove it in the field the man had there didn't bring it up speed...wasn't sure if I was going to buy it but reading this post I'm definitely considering buying this car

17. They actually used this body in early 1949 as well. THey changed to the "new" body style mid year.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Last fall I almost bought a very similar 52 Chrysler Windsor, a club coupe with 38000 miles, all original, excellent shape. The owner swore it would pass a safety inspection with no problem. I was all set to buy it for $6500 but when I asked if he would get it inspected he started back pedalling. So I got suspicious and didn't buy it. I'm sorry now I didn't.

19. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Here is mine.I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get it going..

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot Rusty for the pointers ...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  20. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Good luck on your build Ester!!

21. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Thanks ......Good luck on your purchase .I hope it works out for you.

22. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Anyone else have pictures of these cars

23. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I 'd like to see some too...

24. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

I believe that this is a 1952 Chrysler. It would be a Saratoga, if it has the 331 HEMI, extended bellhousing, or the Windsor if it has the flathead 6. Another point would be if there is a "V" on the front of the hood, indicating a Chrysler with a V-8.

25. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Its definitely a Windsor deluxe its got the emblems on the back as well as the front fender..still trying to find more pics of custom Windsor's for inspiration

26. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Took the Windsor for a drive around the block..still getting used to it..like my first test drive.

27. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Attached Files:

28. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

So did you buy it?

29. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

I did Eddie...now the lowering will begin..any suggestions anyone??

30. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

I was looking under the suspension..didn't look like anything has been touched although looks a bit lowered..