Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Oldsmobile Sponsors The Oscars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. I dunno but I feel compelled to buy a 57 Olds.............

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Not much different from today. As the public gets onto them, they go to the next level of bullshit. Today's bullshit will look just as obvious in a few years, even if it doesn't look that way to us now. But by then they will have a hundred new lies to sell.

4. I find myself needing to get to my local Old's dealer...

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Times may have been more wholesome then but not simpler. In many ways things are simpler now.

I was there and I can tell you, I would rather worry about a ter'rist (rag head in a cave with a box cutter) than a com'nist ( Russian in a bunker with 1000 atom bombs )

6. flyin-t

flyin-t

I'd rather watch that than a bunch of giant rats trying to sell us some shitty econobox with some crappy rap playing along.

Corriganville was a cool place to go for a kid who grew up on TV westerns. My grandpa took me there to meet Ken Maynard, an old cowboy star back in the day who was like a greeter at the ranch. My grandpa was his mechanic in the late 20's in Hollywood, it was cool to see them chew the fat after almost 40 years had passed.

7. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Nuclear attacks are nothing to fear. You just hide under your desk and don't look at the bright light.

Learned that in school.

Back on topic...

I love old car ads, sure they are full of shit, but the over acting makes up for it. :)

8. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I couldn't help but notice the "Lion" drinking fountain. I built a bunch of those back in the 60s. Was the guy in the first segment "Crash" Corrigan? Wayno

9. oldthudman

oldthudman

I disagree.........Maybe it's because I grew up in the 50's, but I always thought the 50's and 60's cars were so cool! Great colors! Unlike today's all 4 dr sedan/suv's that all seem to come from the Camry school of design, and all in gray/black/white color palate.........

Likewise TV was less intrusive, "less violent", and yes, TV ads were less hokum IMHO......TV ads today are slicker and some downright annoying.......

10. greazy john

greazy john

Love the kids in the back of the wagon, where's the seat belts?

11. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

It is refreshing to hear them actually talk about the mechanics of the car they are hawking rather than the radio system and electronic features. When was the last time you saw a car commercial that actually said anything about the engine other than a "Eco" name and mileage numbers, much less any optional engines. They actually explained three deuces!

12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I always rode in the back of my parent's wagons with the seat down. It was fun!

I would love to have that Olds wagon today!

13. Ryan -

Why so apathetic? :rolleyes:

C'mon ... Live a little! ... Try that great new Olds! :D

14. never trust any one over the age of 30

15. Yeah, It was a better time
    The bullshit is softer now, all about usb interfaces and latte' holders, back up cameras,
    and 5 star safety ratings.
    Back then it was all about power and style.
    Kids were able to play on random metal things instead of primary colored plastic
    soft edge safety approved play systems.

Mrs Warren is kind of hot, Just sayin'

Aren't you getting sand in your laptop?

16. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That wagon is cool.

It was good to see kids playing on an old playground, man it looks SO dangerous by todays standards.. Those kids could get hurt! :0

17. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Where can a kid go nowadays to play on an old steam locomotive? Probably nowhere. If you had one, you would be afraid to let someone elses kid on it for fear of a lawsuit if one got hurt. Sad. I wonder how I survived growing up in a salvage yard.

18. I see "lawsuit" writen all over that playground.

19. Goldy

Goldy

I guess I am just too old to "get it" because Other than being pretty "hoakie", I don't see where the lies are ? By the standards of 1957, the Oldsmobile handled and had a ride as good as anything, except for a sports car. The power of that J2 was comparable for it s day. Yes it was slower than the Black Widow 57 Chevy or Corvette and the 300 D Chrysler Hemi or the Desoto Adventurer. But for a mom and dads car, the tri-power J2 was particularly fast.
    Those ads sounded exactlly like the GM training films I used to sit through. Especially the ones for the Rochester Fuel Injection or Automatic transmissions like Turbo Glide.

20. TERPU

TERPU

I'm only 40 so looking backwards is easier as I didn't live it. But from my simple point of view waaay cooler time and alot more honesty. Natural selection was still allowed to weed out the weakspots as well. Less litigation and BS. You could still punch a guy, finish it up and then go have a beer together without getting arrested or shot. Yes, they are trying to get the masses to believe an Olds is the way to go. Hell I'd buy a brand new '57 Olds 'Vert if I could. But I still believe in John Wayne, America, and Honesty as well.

Tim

21. No more BS than today,,and at least the were manufactured in the USA and built using steel & chrome!:) HRP

22. catdad49

catdad49

Watching the playground scene I couldn't help but wonder how I survived. Did all those things plus some others I wouldn't let my kids do, if I knew about, that is! Great piece and love the Olds with the dog dish caps.

23. the-rodster

the-rodster

Larry Craig is a big fan of the "wide stance".

Rich

24. hotrod-steve

hotrod-steve
    from canada

57 is my favorite year of Olds-now I REALY want one. (thanks alot)

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Think about the hard sell today. Poor salesmen have to rely on the government to sell Chevy Volts.
    How are those sales goin', by the way, Mr. Big?

26. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool. And here I always thought that Lowell George made up "Rocket In My Pocket."

27. Thats crap man...I think its bullshit.....NOW !!

LMAO

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

why complain about a 60 year old commercial? Sale pitches have been and always will be full of B.S. in order to sell the product.

29. truckjim

truckjim

Slow day?

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here is a guy who believed there could be honesty in advertising...