Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Slammed 31 A coupe....FINISHED!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hooliganshotrods, Jun 27, 2012.

1. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Started the fab for the skeleton for the floor and working on mounting the fuel cell. I'm about half way done the mock up. I can see I'll have to modify the outlet on the fuel tank also will be adding a sender to the tank as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I'm really diggin' your build. Your coupe is wicked. Can't wait to see how you fab. the floor & tranny tunnel. You're metal shaping & welding is super nice. Makes my head hurt.
    Damn that car is nice. Got a little carried away...

3. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks man.

Hope to wrap up the skeleton tonight and start on the aluminum this week.

4. eastcoastdoug

eastcoastdoug
    from Tampa, FL

Very nice work on the frame!! Like the way you set up the rear bags!

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

6. I really dig that front axle, and your color choice for the chassis! :)

7. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks man.
    I know I'm not that old yet but I have no idea what the burning running stick man is supposed to mean....hopefully your not throwing bad voodoo towards me, lol

Thanks

8. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Just need to make the driveshaft loops and a few small pedestials to tie the skeleton frame to the chassis. Should be able to start laying the aluminum in the next few days. Gotta tig weld the the new outlet for the fuel tank and drill and mount the sender unit and start laying the wiring for the rear before I lay the floor skins though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. poorboy

poorboy

Awesome work man! That color combo is killer!

10. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

would you have room to make a mount off of the rearend for your alternator here? I love your build and when im staring at that beautiful hemi, that damn alternator jumps right out.. Although you have probably thought out every mounting possibility.. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

12. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

I've been looking at driveshaft mounted alternator setups, they are definately cool and get the alternator hidden. My concerns with that setup is that it wouldn't be charging when not moving, rush hour traffic around here is crazy. I'm not to worried about the battery being drained I would be more concerned about having to change a belt or the alternator if something happened.

I have been looking into those alternators from racemate. Wonder if that would work on my motor?? I have a BBC waterpump on the hemi.

http://www.racemate.com/alt_about.html

13. farmer12

farmer12

Great work so far! Have you thought about make a driveshaft hoop/loop? You could easily incorporate it in the new framework you've just built.

Regarding the alternator, I also opted not to use a driveshaft driven one for the same above mentioned reason. And didn't want one sticking above the engine/bbc water pump either. So I fabricated my own bracket and used a single wire 100 amp alternator positioned on the lower passenger side of my Hemi. Maybe this can work for you. Good luck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  14. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks. You're build is totally off the hook. Absolutely love it.

As for the driveshaft loop, I've already made them just haven't updated the pics yet. Got all the aluminum roughly cut and fit from the transmission back including the tunnel and most of the floor for the car and need to start layering it and putting in dimpled holes and beads and start riveting it together. I'll be working on the last few pieces for the front this week. Hopefully in a week or two it will be wrapped up and I can start the wiring......hopefully, lol.

That's a very nice alternator mount you made, something like that may work on mine, after I cut and modify my rad outlet for the hose to the pump I'll have a better idea of what I can fit down there if anything. For now, my focus is to get the flooring done, running, wired and in paint. Thanks for the pics of your mount. Much appreciated.

15. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I haven't checked out your build in awhile. Its looking really good. I like the colour choices.

16. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

17. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Modified my aluminum tank and moved the outlet as well as making a pedestial for a fuel sender, won't be running out of gas with this one:cool:

Got the tank final mounted and installed the fuel pump and cut the lines, everything in the back is done finally. Ran hose plus some to the firewall where I will mount the regulator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started ROUGH cutting the aluminum for the floor skins, will have to cut and fit as I go. I didn't really have a plan but this is the way it's turning out. LOTS of layered panels to make still, bead rolling and dimpled holes to go....not to mention the couple thousand rivets it will take. Will start clecoing it together over the next few days and start the riveting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Drivinford

Drivinford

Damn man looking good. Cant wait to see it done...

19. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Sweet build.

Following

20. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

21. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

22. wardA30

wardA30

Fantastic fab work as usual son! Think I"ll leave my coupe at your house for awhile, could use a new floor like that.

23. spock

spock

looking good Deano

Spock

24. Your a very talented builder! Your coupe is gonna be KILLER!:cool:
    Subcribed!

25. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks Dad

26. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Picked up a new alternator and all the loom to do the wiring. Got most of the floor pieces cut but figure I better wire it now so I can hide the wires before I rivet the floor in. If all goes well it will be wired up by the end of the week. Bringing in the rad to work tomorrow to modify the outlet and then build some headers. If my carb spacers come back from the machinist this week then it shouldn't be long after wiring to fire this sucker up!

27. Drivinford

Drivinford

Cant wait man. Gonna be killer.

28. 51 Chev Deluxx

51 Chev Deluxx
    from Detroit

Great build...what size tires and rims are you using....

29. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Thanks, rear tires are 750-16 and 600-16 on the front. Using original 35 Ford wires.

30. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Modified the rad so I can run a hose over the crossmember to the water pump and made new mounting tabs.
    [​IMG]

Mounted, looks like it will work now
    [​IMG]

Installed the fan
    [​IMG]

Needed to build some inserts for the dash for the gauges and air controller for my bags.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Will be adding some beads in the gauge insert to match the passengers side when I remove the inserts to paint the dash. Looks like I'll be polishing the whole interior to match the inserts.

Brother came by and we started the wiring, half done and will finish hopefully this weekend, didn't get the spacers back from the machinist yet for the carbs, still have to build the headers anyways.