Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to get dents out of headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64 Thunderbolt, Mar 12, 2013.

1. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

I need some help here.
    I just got a set of brand new ceramic coated headers for my 67 Fairlane in a trade today.
    The problem is the guy didn't know what he was doing & beat them with a hammer while trying to install them & now they have dents up high where you can't get anything in to fix them.
    Is there anyway of getting these dents out without taking the coating off.
    I really want to use them on my 67 & had thought about putting header wrap on them if I can get them out but I wanted to see what everybody said.

The engine was never even started & other than this they look great!

2. Until you said getting the dent out without damaging the finish,,,NO! HRP

3. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

I had somebody tell me to stick them in a deep freezer & fill them 3/4 of the way full of water after blocking off the one end & that might expand the metal once it freezes?

4. What about those paintless dent removal tools? Might work.

5. Deuces

Deuces

Ball bearings!.....

6. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

That's the issue, there only two pipes on each header that was dented & there both right after the bend from where it comes out of the head.
    Basically you can't get any PDR tools in there.

7. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Are you joking here Deuces or what are you meaning?

8. Deuces

Deuces

If you shove a ball bearing of the right size in a header tube with a dent in it, it'll pop the dent out...

9. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

OK, I'll have to try that! I guess the problem is though finding a ball bearing big enough to do this!

10. 50 Chevy PU

50 Chevy PU

Cap both ends apply air pressure (5-10lb is enough it won’t take much)
    Then torch heat the area you want to move go slow and take your time when it stars to move things happens fast. I have never done it with coated headers so I am not sure what the coating will do. I have done it with Chrome dirt bike pipes without damaging the chrome.

11. 50 Chevy PU

50 Chevy PU

The ball bearing method will work too. You probably want to find a few sizes and work up to the finished size

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

How do you get the water to freeze only at the dent and not where it will slit the rest of the tube wide open?

13. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

That is a good question Tommy but I would. think if you didin't completely fill the headers with water it might work.

14. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

That's what I need to find out about. I wondered about heating it but wasn't sure if it would mess up the coating.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Better yet.... Use a dent puller!

16. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Yes but then you would mess up the coating!

17. Ball bearing forced through has the best chance to keep the coating intact. Even less than red hot heat will do some damage to the headers. The alum ceramic coating can take a good amount of heat (they are headers after all....), but get them near red (1400+ degrees F) and the coating will be damaged.

18. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Thanks, that gives me some sort of idea.

19. oldolds

oldolds

What happens when you force the bearing past the dent? How will you get it out? I would bet that the diameter at the bends is much smaller than the straights.

20. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Drill a small hole opposite the dent and use a small punch/drift to remove the dent,
    then weld up the hole (won't be seen anyway)

21. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Slick... :cool:

22. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

A ball bearing would be great if you can find one.

I lent a pair of coated headers to a "friend". He wanted to trial fit them into a similar combination.
    Long story/short. They came back with two huge dents on the upper outside tubes.

A took a measurement of the tube ID and turned down a short round slug in the lathe. Rounded the ends, much like a ball bearing. drilled a hole thru it and attached a chain.

Dropped the assembly into the tube with chain sticking out the flange end. Oiled up the inside. Inserted a jack handle/pry bar into the chain links and a fulcrum at the flange and pulled the slug thru the dented tubes. Straightened them up good. :D

23. Mark T

Mark T

I thought about this a few years ago when I had a set of headers with the same problem, I was going to use a bearing like mentioned above but I was going to weld 2 washers on either side of the ball and tie pieces of rope to both washers. My plan was to work the ball back and forth with the ropes to knock out the dent.

24. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That sounds like a great idea. Gotta get Jimmy on speed dial for the next time I get in a jam!

25. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Sounds like the ball bearing trick might be the best thing!

26. Deuces

Deuces

Git'er done.....

27. Fenders

Fenders

Yep, takes a man with big balls to fix a dented header :D

28. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

Try www.vxb.com for loose ball bearings. Had to buy 1/4" to 1 1/8" bearing balls has they were called for passing mandrel bent tubing for NASA.

29. If that works it will amaze me,,the headers are made out of a pretty thick material. HRP

30. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

So have you figgered out what you're gonna do with the body? 'probably start to stink real good in a couple days:D

I'd contact a PDR guy and discuss a glue pull or two before I'd fool 'round with any heat or bearings that may well get stuck at, or after a bend! You may also try and contact a musical insturment shop to see if they have anyone they could refer ya to. Large horns made of brass get dented and repaired.

" You can see happiness stagger on down the street "