Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Great 8 Detroit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Butch11443

Butch11443

I'm 70 years old, been building my own stuff since I was 15. All of the cars built by professionals really don't impress me very much. I really like the stuff that is home-built by the average guy.
    Butch

2. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

And it had a blown flathead..... That should count for something.....

3. Weasel

Weasel

4. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

You got it right Brian. That 40 coupe blew me away---great workmanship.

5. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Thanks for the additional pics--good stuff.

6. Barry_R

Barry_R

The green Willys custom really got my attention. After a few decades of car stuff it is hard to really find a new twist to catch - yet I had never seen a Willys done as a custom. At least nothing memorable. It was a cool idea, it looked great and it was really well executed.

7. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you should nap.

8. Weasel

Weasel

Zzzzzzz.....

9. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I love how people bitch about it... why would you open this thread then after you read the title.

I much prefer the basement but the '40 was cool. I was there for the trophy presentation and the guys who actually built this thing were a bunch of young guys wearing jeans. One of them was kinda tearing up. Say what you want about it being over the top but it was built. Yep! somebody got dirty building it. Built with passion by people who dedicate more time to their hobby than most. PERIOD

Congrats to them for chasing their dream!

10. flatjack

flatjack

I couldn't agree more.

11. I would rather have a 39 deluxe or 40 standard coupe in my garage with a flathead and no hood. A set of wide five and primer would be over the top for me.

I am sorry they screwed up a good old Ford.

12. koolkat269

koolkat269

A roadster show in LA and it's indoors. That is a major FAIL! This is Detroit and we celebrate eeverything automotive. That's why we are the Motor City and don't forget that if it wasn't for us you would be walking.

13. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I think this is probably the most well thought out post in this whole thread.
    Im a traditional guy but as said these are friends and home town folks so its good to see them do well and I like the car. Its far from traditional but a perfect flowing execution of what they were trying to accomplish Good for them Thanks for posting nowaxn... Gary

14. I'm happy these guys are your friends and they won the Riddler award,that's great,but to vie for the great 8 traditional cars are excluded.
    HRP

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes, really.

Brian

16. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I never saw any specific "traditional exclusion" like that . Is this a fact or simply a perception? Stu

17. A Boner

A Boner

The great 8 criteria sucks.

18. Scott K

Scott K

Don't think there are any specific exclusions, but I believe that the judging is skewed in favor of the "more = better" in the custom, one-off parts count.
    Traditional vehicles, being "simpler" in construction and by definition required / expected to stay within certain guidelines, are starting off at a disadvantage in the judging. Case in point the Iron Orchid coupe from Dave Shuten.
    The Grand National Roadster Show is going in the right direction by considering the esthetics in the award.

19. Stu,,Show me a traditional car that was chosen for the great 8. HRP

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I have nothing against any of these cars. But looking at them rekindles the very reasons that I prefer my traditional shitboxes; mine are rough around the edges, they smoke, reek of gas and oil, make weird noises, the fit and finish is less than perfect, have primitive creature "comforts" if any at all, and most of all my can be driven without fear of damaging them. So keep these pics coming, I'm loving my shitboxes more and more! And no, it's not envy talking. :p I simply prefer the simpler and rougher things in life.

21. The show is for over the top cars. I like traditional hot rods but the Detroit show is for big buck cars and the Riddler Award is not for the traditional hot rods. They probably have 20 judges that choose the car. The local car shows always give awards to the shinny cars and not real hot rods. I would attend the show but the 89 Olds may have trouble making the round trip to Detroit.

I like my woman on the thrashy side. Ain't she cool.

22. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

HRP: I agree, however, I believe a really exceptional traditional car can and will be recognized by the advisory committee (or who ever picks them).
    Not really fair to paint the process with such a broad brush. Case in point, (granted not Detroit) in Chicago, Tom Kelly's super nice 32 Sedan got a final 6 in contention for the Legend Award. As I understand it, the Legend Award is very similar in concept, however, bling won out over a driven traditional car in Chicago.

Tom Kelly built his 32 Sedan to be driven, not to compete with trailer queen blingrods. It would be refreshing to see a traditional car that is refined to make a presence for the Riddler type awards. But that might be an oxymoron , because, it would be against the "laws of tradition" to build a trailer queen. Stu

23. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Is there anyone still wondering what the better hot rod show is...GNRS or Detroit?

FWIW, I kinda dug the forty and I was certainly pulling for my buddies in Oklahoma with their '57 pickup. I'm very proud of Jason and Alan and the gang from the Hot Rod Garage!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  24. motorcade 1

motorcade 1

SHOW CARS win car shows.awards at car shows are for show cars. The Riddler competition is for high end show cars not 'hot rods built in the traditional style' it's 2 different things completly I dont compare my hot rod to show cars anymore then I would compare my cars performance to a race car.I might show my car in a car show but I dont concider it a show car.

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

^ that made my head hurt. lol

26. If we think of the 'Great 8' cars as art-which is what I believe they are intended as-then naturally opinions of style and execution are subjective.
    These high -end show cars challenge all of us to work a little bit harder at making our own builds a little better-they raise the bar for all of us to use our imagination and hone our skills to do better-even though we are not 'competing' with them
    I salute the pro-builders and the customers with the deep pockets to support them. While not always 'traditional' in the respect of the content of this forum-The over-all attitude toward quality ultimately rubs off.

27. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

The craftsmanship and innovation exhibited in these cars can be inspirational to make our hot rods the best they can be even if you can't appreciate the so called Bling. I believe that for the most part hot rods have been improving over the last 15 years and you don't see so much shoddy workmanship as you used to. For me I like to see good design in the components and whether they have been be plated, polished ,coated or painted doesn't make much difference.

28. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Ok Danny, I get what your saying.
    But let's look back at traditional custom show cars (which btw, I love). When the Barris's, Alexander bros., Valley, Jefferies, Hines, etc. built show cars back in the day they were over the top. Beyond what the average builder could build. Then Roth comes along and makes these cars that were way out there. Bubble tops, chromed everything, cartoon proportions, wacky themes, you name it. The sky was the limit. He's a legend on here and to me. What's the difference?

29. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Again, great post...Good point. Gary

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup. Just goes to show once again, that theres no correlation between money and taste.