Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event | Kansas City | Sunday Morning Chow

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grim, Mar 11, 2013.

1. grim

grim

Wild Child's | Sunday Morning Chow

Imagine a spot where, between a certain time, on any given Sunday, you could drop by at random and grab a table and a bite of breakfast with the kustom kulture. You'd never know who's over there before you head out, but it's safe to say that enough people know about the hang-out that you'd likely bump into more than a few creative types.. Maybe you'd overhear an old story or two - maybe get a chance to get to know some old producers you've never had a reason to sit and talk with. It's a place where you'd likely eyeball some wild stuff in the parkin' lot - a place for advice, brainstorming, connections, information - and inspiration. You don't have to plan anything, it's just there - every Sunday - whether you come or not.

Shows are few and far in between; when they come around, it's gettin' harder for some of the older folks to go, and, if they can go, many can't stay for long. Because of that, it's getting harder for many of the young-guns to learn to appreciate and carry the torch. For some, it's just hard to come up with a reason to get out of the house at all, especially in winter. No more of that, friends...

We're going to start to grab breakfast on Sunday mornings and wanted to invite everyone out. To make it easy, and accessible to everyone, were askin' for some advice.

What's a good place with a central location? We need a good creative atmosphere - and locally owned if possible. We'd like it to have tables that can be slid together.

Spread the word, friends - and give us your input. Let's roll back the clocks and start to get somthin' frequent goin' city-wide.

-Wild Child's

10am to 12:30pm

MAP: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=415+...Kansas+City,+Jackson,+Missouri+64108&t=m&z=16

[​IMG]

<script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script><fb:like-box href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-Childs/130345530376900?ref=ts#%21/pages/Wild-Childs/130345530376900?sk=info" width="292" show_faces="false" stream="false" header="true"></fb:like-box>

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I'm in. One suggestion is the Corner Cafe in Riverside.

3. Great concept!
    Hope it takes on a life of it's own

4. grim

grim

^Me too, man.

Whoa - 4 votes over on Facebook message for Jerry's Woodsweather. They're a Saturday only joint, friends... Foresee any issues there? I really don't care either way.

Any lurkers out there have any arguments against Saturdays? T&A, that's a good call; I'll put it out there.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

5. Is the Trolley car diner open every Sunday?
    So-Its 125 miles for breakfast and BS ,but Ive done sillier trips......

6. Hel Kenny grab your brother and slide past myplace, we don't have a menue but you leave with an ear and bellyfull. ;)

You guys choose a place and I'll maybe stop by once in a while. I don't like to eat in public around people I don't know real well. Its a personal thing.

It is a great idea though.

7. raven

raven

There's always Dagwoods...
    r

8. spinner

spinner

I like dagwoods only because I DON'T know where woodsweather is . do you have an address ?

9. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Saturday or Sunday, either one will work. A spot downtown is as central of a location as you can get.

I can also see this turning into some good rod runs or shop tours too.

10. chigger

chigger

Any ideas a little further towards the southern part of the city,.

I would say the Half Way resturant , but they closed last year.

11. i dont know much about up north. but i will be watchin and when you pick a place ill try to make it sometimes.

12. I have no venue recommendation but this sounds like a great idea. I'll be watching for updates.

13. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I know a few people that would be down. Does Grinders serve breakfast? Or the Brick

14. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

West Bottoms, 1414 W 9th St Kansas City, MO 64101

15. Abomination

Abomination

What about Billy Dee's Southwest Grill in Parkville (the place with the old dining car). There's plenty of parking, and they seem like the kind of place that can be talking into opening early for a bunch of guys if they can make $x on the regular...

Also, the cruise nights start 4/13, and the beer tasting is this weekend!

16. Abomination

Abomination

This place is in a strip mall on North Oak, across the street from Oak Park High School, maybe a mile from Metro North Mall. Parking is not a problem.

Kate's Kitchen
    http://www.kateskitchenkc.com/

Kate's Kitchen was named the best breakfast spot in Kansas City by The Pitch. It is also one of the most acclaimed Kansas City breakfast restaurants on Urban Spoon. The restaurant was started by one of the co-founders of the First Watch restaurant chain. The signature breakfast entree at Kate's Kitchen is the stuffed French Toast. It is stuffed with scrambled eggs, cheese and sausage. Breakfast prices range from $4.15 to $6.85.

Kate's Kitchen
    8002 North Oak Trafficway
    Kansas City, Missouri 64118
    (816) 436-7200

I found this on this page, which looks to be for folks looking to hang out at a breakfast spot before they play golf. Same premise, different hobby. :D

Best Breakfast Spots in Kansas City
    http://www.golflink.com/list_6841_breakfast-spots-kansas-city-mo.html#ixzz2NGQxYs3L

17. Abomination

Abomination

Here's some other spots:

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2012/06/27/slideshow-top-breakfast-spots-in-the.html

This place is #1 on the list, and is in what used to be that gas station in the West Bottoms, by the American Royal and the haunted houses. It's one small building, centrally located, and the rest is ALLLLLLL parking lot:
    http://www.genesseeroyale.com/

This one may be a winner - you can look out and see all the cars in the huge lot, is easily locatable, and you can see your friends coming from blocks away... or hear them coming from blocks away!

18. Abomination

Abomination

19. Abomination

Abomination

20. Abomination

Abomination

This place is next to the Minsky's, near 50th & Main. It has mediocre parking, but it should suffice as a parking lot:

http://eggtckc.com/

21. Abomination

Abomination

22. Abomination

Abomination

Just a few suggestions, if anybody was interested. :)

~Jason

23. grim

grim

That Dagwoods spot looks like a find. Just looked at that Google map, and looks like a decent size and parking (from outside). How roomy is it inside? Can't believe I've been drivin' past that place all my life and never noticed it..

I seen it's open on Sundays, too - but can't find an opening time. Anyone know their Sunday hours?

24. Abomination

Abomination

[​IMG]

Ditto.

No answer at (913) 677-0747 (probably because they're busy), but these folks have nothing but good stuff to say:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dagwoods-cafe-kansas-city

~Jason

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  25. grim

grim

Whoa - that place on Gennesse you found is unreal... What a shame they're not open on Sundays.

26. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

The 'Age & Treachery' group meets at Jerry's on Saturday mornings and could be good for crossover reference & the breakfast is pretty good.

27. Abomination

Abomination

If the only thing holding you back is the day...

Keep all these in mind for later - an alternative place may be needed someday!

~Jason

28. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Looking forward to seeing the final plans. Not that i need an excuse, but this is a good reason to get the hotrods out early.

29. slow cheetah

slow cheetah
    from missouri

I was going to suggest possibly Teresa's Drive-in off E. Truman Rd. I know they are open on Sundays and the owner Sam Gallo Jr..is a car guy. Im not sure they serve breakfast though..I do know they open around 10am or so. Just a thought.

30. bb1970

bb1970

Winstead's by the Plaza or Blue Springs.